Chris Trapasso: A Plan for the Bills to Get the Most Out of Josh Allen

I was furious we took Allen over Rosen, but I'm also intrigued by Allen, and in isolation there's a a lot to like. He is accurate - quite accurate - when he has proper mechanics. I think this has been covered ad nauseam by other posters so I won't elaborate too much. All I'll say is that I hope our OLine can gel - and quickly 

On 5/3/2018 at 12:23 AM, HappyDays said:

If Rudolph turns out good he'll look like a genius. Might be worth waiting to see what happens before assuming he's wrong.

Was the other poster referring to how high Trapasso was on Rudolph  vs the league? 

You are correct with time will tell on all the quarterbacks.

5 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

What I was basically saying was that when you have such a strong stabilizing force at left guard it helps both the center and left tackle play better. Woods was an above average player and so was Glenn without Incognito and an all pro in there allowed them to be even better.

Replacing all three at once will be a daunting task as the right side was already weak with Mills at right tackle and I can only think that before Glenn's injury Dawkins was brought in to lock down that RT position. Now that isn't going to happen. 

We really don't know how good Dawkins will be at LT without that stabilizing force next to him and he may or may not hold up well this season.

The Bills have Groy listed as an OG on the website with Russell and Adam as centers. Ducasse, Groy Miller, and Teller at OG. Dawkins, James, McDermott, Mills, Newhouse, Wesley at tackle. 

From what I see they lost all continuity on that line and losing all three veteran quality starters will be a huge issue going forward. This reminds me of 2010 where the Bills line was a hot mess and that year they even had Wood, Levitre. That season started 0-8 and finished 4-12 because the QBs were running for their lives most of the time. That season the Bills had Fitz who was able to do his Mike Vick impression with 269 yards rushing @ 6.7 YPC avg. 

Man, I can only hope that Allen isn't thrown into the fire with that current line or all the effort and picks put into finding that unique talent will be wasted. JMHO. 

Fair points.  It's going to be a relatively young and inexperienced OL.  Training camp will be huge.

23 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

This article is good but basically leaves it up to the OC...he will have to teach AJM and allen 2 different offenses because AJM could thrive in a WCO and this article suggests Allen should not even attempt it. So that is clearly something our OC will have to figure out. Great post tho

I dont agree.  You have a play you have a designed primary.  Allen plays differant than Mccarron.  McCarron will have to follow closer to play design.  Allen is going to look long than short.  Same play same coverage, you will probably get 2 seperate outcomes.  Allen can put the ball in places Mccarron and Peterman can not.  

22 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I don't really care what a QB does in shorts with no one else on the field. If you watch his game tape there is a lot of imprecise passing. His receivers have to control their bodies or stop running to catch his passes. Dump offs and screens are not thrown with good touch. JMO from what I saw on his tape.

What tape show me or shut up.

6 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I know you can't make that throw 

Yes I can... you want to meet me on the field to prove it? I've played QB before, that's not a hard throw. Heck I'll bet Peterman can make that throw without a pass rush

Just now, Scorp83 said:

Yes I can... you want to meet me on the field to prove it? I've played QB before, that's not a hard throw. Heck I'll bet Peterman can make that throw without a pass rush

No, I need you to do it against a DB who was drafted into the NFL infront of coaches and scouts.

You get those folks together and we can talk about how you were good in high school. Then, when we are done reminiscing Uncle Rico and how you can throw the ball over those there mountains...

Not a terrible idea, but turnovers haven’t been Allen’s issue. I think a lot of it will be helped by the system they run for him though. While Mayfield Rudolph and Darnold were running rpo’s & bubble screens exclusively from shotgun., Allen was under center, making NFL type throws. He wasn’t making as many easy passes to pad his stats. 

Now is he the the most accurate guy? Nope. But with some improvement on his footwork and more experience (he was a late bloomer who didn’t go to passing camps in high school and spent a year or two in Junior College). He’s a smart kid, will understand concepts and I think the team understands that his adaptation to the NFL will be a... ready for it??? 

PROCESS

On 5/4/2018 at 11:11 AM, Mat68 said:

I dont agree.  You have a play you have a designed primary.  Allen plays differant than Mccarron.  McCarron will have to follow closer to play design.  Allen is going to look long than short.  Same play same coverage, you will probably get 2 seperate outcomes.  Allen can put the ball in places Mccarron and Peterman can not.  

Having the same offense for 2 completely different QB styles is not getting the most out of them and is not hiding their weaknesses