So why was Leonard Johnson not resigned?

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

While I do agree with this I think other than his rookie year NRC was JAG too. I am confused as to why Johnson wasn't brought back only to bring in Phillip Gaines.  If Taron ends up as the starting nickel I would hope Gaines gets cut.  

Maybe... the difference is scheme.  McDermott’s scheme is ideal for Johnson.  Rex Ryan’s defense was not idea for NRC.  There’s a big difference in his play in LA last year than in 2015 or 2016.

41 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Maybe... the difference is scheme.  McDermott’s scheme is ideal for Johnson.  Rex Ryan’s defense was not idea for NRC.  There’s a big difference in his play in LA last year than in 2015 or 2016.

Agreed.  I do think Bills fans tended to overrate NRC though.  

Edited by GunnerBill

Personally, I'd like to re-sign hm for vet minimum.

Either way, with:

Tre'Davious White
Vontae Davis
Taron Johnson
Philip Gaines
Levi Wallace
Ryan Carter
Siran Neal (S/CB)

Things are looking up at the position.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

I hope so. I thought he was very effective.

He was effective at tackling the receiver he failed to cover.  Good tackler, bad at covering.

On 4/30/2018 at 11:33 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

I may be on the minority but felt that he was a total JAG. He was the guy that always got picked on in big situations . He was nowhere near the player that NRC was. Johnson wasn’t horrible but was totally expendable. The Bills tried to upgrade at a lower price. 

I agree - - he was average at best and this staff doesn't want AVERAGE!

I may be on the minority but felt that he was a total JAG. He was the guy that always got picked on in big situations . He was nowhere near the player that NRC was. Johnson wasn’t horrible but was totally expendable. The Bills tried to upgrade at a lower price. 

this is probably about right. i think they may have wanted to go younger, faster, and cheaper here. and the guys they still have on the back end seem to have a good chemistry and plenty of veteran presence and leadership. 

yep. simple.

kid could hit though

On 5/1/2018 at 11:15 AM, GunnerBill said:

While I do agree with this I think other than his rookie year NRC was JAG too. I am confused as to why Johnson wasn't brought back only to bring in Phillip Gaines.  If Taron ends up as the starting nickel I would hope Gaines gets cut.  

NRC after Schwartz was not same ball hawk and surprisingly good solid tackler. He would have done well with McD i might guess.

I actually like Taron Johnson to win the slot job.  I think they want youth in that secondary.  I believe they want to create a Legion of Boom or Jackson 5.  One of those great secondary's that is given a name.  They want this defense top 5 for a long time and how you do that is by bringing in a lot of young talented players.  A veteran like Leonard is a nice cork to fill the hole until you find a really nice slot corner.  I liked Leonard Johnson but they want this secondary to be great and he just isn't quite that.

1 minute ago, Buffalo30 said:

I actually like Taron Johnson to win the slot job.  I think they want youth in that secondary.  I believe they want to create a Legion of Boom or Jackson 5.  One of those great secondary's that is given a name.  They want this defense top 5 for a long time and how you do that is by bringing in a lot of young talented players.  A veteran like Leonard is a nice cork to fill the hole until you find a really nice slot corner.  I liked Leonard Johnson but they want this secondary to be great and he just isn't quite that.

This is a good mantra to follow for now. Like Gaines they he helped them play as a team. I think the system is up and running on it's own on Defense. Well i think McD's moves in the secondary suggest that actually. hell if i know. wild guess really.

5 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

This is a good mantra to follow for now. Like Gaines they he helped them play as a team. I think the system is up and running on it's own on Defense. Well i think McD's moves in the secondary suggest that actually. hell if i know. wild guess really.

Teams are using slot receivers a lot more and the Patriots definitely use them.  Slot corners are really important in today's game.