Sal Maiorana is a walking contradiction who just needed to write a story when it comes to trade capital

Sal Maiorana must have been sipping the bottle upon the draft's conclusion Saturday evening.

I heard the question he asked Brandon Beane about the Bills only pulling one opening day starter out of this draft class due to trading away all of the picks,  and if that was a concern considering this team's needs at various positions?

Beane answered perfectly, saying first of all that everyone competes for a starting job, and anyone who plays well enough can earn one regardless of their tenure with the franchise.  He also pointed out it' still APRIL and we still have FA available, guys that may be cut post June 1st that we can acquire, and potential trades (see Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby).

So Sal decides to pen an article on the subject in the D&C, which on one hand supports and agrees with Beane making the move to trade up and take the franchise QB, yet complains how we have gapping holes at OLB and WR that we couldn't fill because of the big trade up that put the team behind schedule on building it's roster.

Huh???

So which is it Sal?  You can't have it both ways.  This team has been toiling in QB mediocrity for two decades.  We finally have a GM who had the gumption to ACT and spent 10 months acquiring assets, trading away players that either didn't fit our system or had injury issues, in order to do so.

When the draft arrived, many "talking heads" had the Bills trading away both first round picks,  possibly adding 2nd and 3rd round selections also, in order to trade up for their franchise QB.  Yet when it was time to pull the trigger, Beane only had to give up 1 first rounder and two second-rounders.  That allowed them to trade up again in the first round to pick a player many thought was a top 10 selection to plug a glaring need at MLB.

Now, safe to say when analyzing a draft class, most picks in rounds 1-3 are guys that are either franchise players or potential starters in their rookie years.    After that, your taking guys who need time to groom and provide depth in the hopes they become future starters.

Buffalo's first pick was Josh Allen.  Yes, Sal, Josh may not be the starting QB September 9th.  Honestly I hope to God he isn't.  He needs time to grow and mature.  We all know what happens when we rush QB's onto the field their rookie season (EJ Manuel).  In due time he will be dependent on leading our franchise for the next 10-15 years.  Because he isn't starting Sept 9th is a ridiculous point to make.

Buffalo's second pick was Edmunds, who looks like a beast.  Even though Sal has him penciled in as a start already, there are still players currently on the team that may be better than a 20 year old rookie.  I am hoping as well that Edmunds isn't rushed onto the field and is allowed to learn and grow this season. He, too, will be a player (at only 20 years old) who this team will be counting on as a leader of this franchise's defense for the next 10-12 years.  Whether he starts September 9th as well doesn't quell my excitement for drafting him.

Buffalo's 3rd pick was Harrison Phillips.  Although Star and Kyle are two players that will be heavily counted on, it's no secret that having a solid rotation at that spot is key for a team's success against the run.  Not only does Phillips provide them that, but he also is the heir apparent for K Williams spot.  Although he may not be an "opening day starter" he will probably get as many reps during the game as Kyle does (if not more) due to the rotation and Kyle's age.  Whether he is a starter September 9th is moot.

Buffalo took Taron Johnson in the fourth round, which is normally a round you don't see players coming in an expecting to start.  Yet McD made it clear Taron will be pegged as  a nickel guy, which Beane stated plays 65% of the snaps, which are more than most DT's.  Thus, the position is considered a starter.  With Leonard Johnson gone and coaches and "talking heads" raving about he is a film junky that loves to learn and is all football, it's not crazy to think that Johnson can earn solid snaps this season, or even a majority of them at nickel.  September 9th starter?  C'mon!

Many feel that Neal and Teller are guys that can provide solid depth until they learn the game, which would be shockingly surprising if it came this year.  Until then we won't know how good they will be.  As for McCloud and Proehl, they don't seem as "long shots" despite their draft position.  McCloud could have a significant role as a returner ALA Tate, and Proehl's tireless work ethic that he learned from his father might earn him solid snaps his rookie season as well.  I even heard a Wes Welker comparison.  Regardless, these two guys making the team would be deemed a success for Beane considering the round they were chosen in, much less starting.

Until the season unfolds, no one is to know the significance this draft class will have on our starting line up.  Yet to write an article that bemoans trading draft capital in order to acquire two potential cornerstones for your franchise (one being a franchise QB that some would trade their whole draft to obtain), yet in the next breath cascade accolades for making the moves;  makes zero sense coming from a veteran writer who has covered this team for decades. 

I pose this question to Sal:

Would you make the following trade:

Houston Texans

2004- 1st round- 10th Pick (ability to draft Ben Roethlisberger ahead of Pittsburgh)

for

Buffalo Bills

2004- 1st round- 13th Pick (Lee Evans)

2004- 1st round- 26th Pick (JP Losman)

2004- 3rd round-  74th pick (Tim Anderson)

2005- 2nd round-  55th pick (Roscoe Parrish)

Do you think anyone would remember all of the "draft capital" we would have given up to draft Big Ben to move up 3 simple spots instead of 5???  I'd make that deal all day.  Big Ben was 1 of only 2 starters the Steelers drafted that day, w/ Max Starks coming in the 3rd round. All others were busts. 

How many first and second round picks around the league have busted???  It's the quality of the picks, not the round they were drafted in, that makes a successful draft.

It's apparent that Maiorana was attempting to create a story that no one else would.....and for good reason.    I would expect something more credible from a writer with his experience and not words that merely fill up his paper.

Edited by dezertbill
  • Like (+1) 7

Spackling over holes with day one starters in the 2016 draft with Shaq/Ragnuts/Adolphus resulted in utter failure from 3 guys truly perceived as pretty safe where they were picked.........and contributed to a regime change.

The early rounds of the draft are where you should get your franchise/big money players that are very hard to find any other way.  

Better to get two potential major impact talents like Allen/Edmunds than a bunch of perceived safe picks like Shaq/Ragnuts at positions of need.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, dezertbill said:

Sal Maiorana must have been sipping the bottle upon the draft's conclusion Saturday evening.

I heard the question he asked Brandon Beane about the Bills only pulling one opening day starter out of this draft class due to trading away all of the picks,  and if that was a concern considering this team's needs at various positions?

Beane answered perfectly, saying first of all that everyone competes for a starting job, and anyone who plays well enough can earn one regardless of their tenure with the franchise.  He also pointed out it' still APRIL and we still have FA available, guys that may be cut post June 1st that we can acquire, and potential trades (see Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby).

So Sal decides to pen an article on the subject in the D&C, which on one hand supports and agrees with Beane making the move to trade up and take the franchise QB, yet complains how we have gapping holes at OLB and WR that we couldn't fill because of the big trade up that put the team behind schedule on building it's roster.

Huh???

So which is it Sal?  You can't have it both ways.  This team has been toiling in QB mediocrity for two decades.  We finally have a GM who had the gumption to ACT and spent 10 months acquiring assets, trading away players that either didn't fit our system or had injury issues, in order to do so.

When the draft arrived, many "talking heads" had the Bills trading away both first round picks,  possibly adding 2nd and 3rd round selections also, in order to trade up for their franchise QB.  Yet when it was time to pull the trigger, Beane only had to give up 1 first rounder and two second-rounders.  That allowed them to trade up again in the first round to pick a player many thought was a top 10 selection to plug a glaring need at MLB.

Now, safe to say when analyzing a draft class, most picks in rounds 1-3 are guys that are either franchise players or potential starters in their rookie years.    After that, your taking guys who need time to groom and provide depth in the hopes they become future starters.

Buffalo's first pick was Josh Allen.  Yes, Sal, Josh may not be the starting QB September 9th.  Honestly I hope to God he isn't.  He needs time to grow and mature.  We all know what happens when we rush QB's onto the field their rookie season (EJ Manuel).  In due time he will be dependent on leading our franchise for the next 10-15 years.  Because he isn't starting Sept 9th is a ridiculous point to make.

Buffalo's second pick was Edmunds, who looks like a beast.  Even though Sal has him penciled in as a start already, there are still players currently on the team that may be better than a 20 year old rookie.  I am hoping as well that Edmunds isn't rushed onto the field and is allowed to learn and grow this season. He, too, will be a player (at only 20 years old) who this team will be counting on as a leader of this franchise's defense for the next 10-12 years.  Whether he starts September 9th as well doesn't quell my excitement for drafting him.

Buffalo's 3rd pick was Harrison Phillips.  Although Star and Kyle are two players that will be heavily counted on, it's no secret that having a solid rotation at that spot is key for a team's success against the run.  Not only does Phillips provide them that, but he also is the heir apparent for K Williams spot.  Although he may not be an "opening day starter" he will probably get as many reps during the game as Kyle does (if not more) due to the rotation and Kyle's age.  Whether he is a starter September 9th is moot.

Buffalo took Taron Johnson in the fourth round, which is normally a round you don't see players coming in an expecting to start.  Yet McD made it clear Taron will be pegged as  a nickel guy, which Beane stated plays 65% of the snaps, which are more than most DT's.  Thus, the position is considered a starter.  With Leonard Johnson gone and coaches and "talking heads" raving about he is a film junky that loves to learn and is all football, it's not crazy to think that Johnson can earn solid snaps this season, or even a majority of them at nickel.  September 9th starter?  C'mon!

Many feel that Neal and Teller are guys that can provide solid depth until they learn the game, which would be shockingly surprising if it came this year.  Until then we won't know how good they will be.  As for McCloud and Proehl, they don't seem as "long shots" despite their draft position.  McCloud could have a significant role as a returner ALA Tate, and Proehl's tireless work ethic that he learned from his father might earn him solid snaps his rookie season as well.  I even heard a Wes Welker comparison.  Regardless, these two guys making the team would be deemed a success for Beane considering the round they were chosen in, much less starting.

Until the season unfolds, no one is to know the significance this draft class will have on our starting line up.  Yet to write an article that bemoans trading draft capital in order to acquire two potential cornerstones for your franchise (one being a franchise QB that some would trade their whole draft to obtain), yet in the next breath cascade accolades for making the moves;  makes zero sense coming from a veteran writer who has covered this team for decades. 

I pose this question to Sal:

Would you make the following trade:

Houston Texans

2004- 1st round- 10th Pick (Ben Roethlisberger)

for

Buffalo Bills

2004- 1st round- 13th Pick (Lee Evans)

2004- 1st round- 26th Pick (JP Losman)

2004- 3rd round-  74th pick (Tim Anderson)

2005- 2nd round-  55th pick (Roscoe Parrish)

Do you think anyone would remember all of the "draft capital" we would have given up to draft Big Ben to move up 3 simple spots instead of 5???  I'd make that deal all day.

Talk about blowing Jimmy Johnson's trade chart out of the water!

It's apparent that Maiorana was attempting to create a story that no one else would.....and for good reason.    I would expect something more credible from a writer with his experience and not words that merely fill up his paper.

You should not expect more from Sal - he has become bitter through the long stretch of bad Bills teams and he knows that writing negative articles draws readers.

i think you are over-estimating 2nd and 3rd round picks as “franchise players or likely starters as rookies “.  In round 2, especially late in the round where the Bills’ 2 picks in the second were, maybe half of them become long-term starters and less in round 3.

9 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...and his latest yip today is that the "Bills draft will possibly yield just one starter"..........

Buffalo News, Rochester D&C, WGR make their money with negative articles.  It is highly predictable.

i expect some to be reporting on every Allen incomplete pass in mini-camps, spouting “you can’t fix accuracy”, and calling him a bust in training camp.

He was not my first choice, but he has a crazy arm, prototype size and very good athletability for the position.  He is clearly a project who needs time having played only two years at a low level D1 program.  I know he is a gamble on greatness and it may take 2-3 years to know if we won that gamble.  I only hope that the media and impatient fans don’t run him out of town early.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

How dare someone in the media question the Bills for using 2 first, 2 second, and 2 third round picks to get a nice MLB and a project QB who is unlikely to be able to start as a rookie and is a longshot to become even a modest success.

58 minutes ago, SoTier said:

How dare someone in the media question the Bills for using 2 first, 2 second, and 2 third round picks to get a nice MLB and a project QB who is unlikely to be able to start as a rookie and is a longshot to become even a modest success.

The NFL disagrees that Allen is a long shot.  He was universally considered part of the top 4.  Is he a longer shot than Rosen’s?  Yes, but the Bills and pretty sure many other teams felt that his upside was better than Rosen’s.

Let’s look at the big picture- there were 4 top QB prospects in this year’s draft with one other (Jackson) being considered a possible 1st round prospect.  Because of the Bills’ unexpected playoff season, they were on the outside looking in on these prospects.  They were able to trade up to a spot where 2 of those 4 were available and they picked Allen because of his long-term upside potential.

i am sure that even the Bills view Rosen as much closer to play than Allen, yet they still picked Allen.

i don’t know if Allen will ultimately pan out, but I can see he has great physical talent and apparently a very solid work ethic and good intelligence (based on Wonderlic score).

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Edmunds is widely acknowledged to be a great pick up and as for Allen you are right to say that we don't know what he can become but the same is true for the 2 QB's that went ahead of him and also Rosen.  Allen was a top 10 pick in nearly every mock draft I could find so I'm having a hard time understanding what you think you know that the professional talent evaluators don't.

Good thread, however I just want to point out that starting a rookie too early is not a real thing, certainly not in EJ Manuel's case, if you are gonna be good it will happen eventually. Talking heads make up all type of nonsense that coaches and players don't recognize as ever being a factor.

Edited by greeneblitz

3 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

You should not expect more from Sal - he has become bitter through the long stretch of bad Bills teams and he knows that writing negative articles draws readers.

Sal has written books on Bills. I doubt many will buy his next book "Hear me whine".

14 hours ago, Epstein's Mother said:

I quit reading anything this guy writes a couple of years ago.  

I quit reading this post when he said "players we can get via trade (see Sammy Watkins and Ronald Darby)"

?

Edited by SouthNYfan

Sal also stated on Twitter you have to wait at least two years to judge a draft class. Yet, like mentioned he already wrote off the class only having potentially one day one starter. In turn hes already given an early judgement of the class.

This is a collective effort from the top down, with a vision and a goal in mind. This regime isnt putting bandaids on hatchet wounds, they are taking a calculated approach. This is a long term plan on building a perennial winner, not a 6-10,7-9,8-8, etc... type mediocrity we've been force fed for years.