I'm liking the defense

I really like the Edmunds and Phillips picks but the defense still has a few needs. They still need a 3T defensive tackle to replace Kyle, although nexts year DT class could end up being very, very good. LB and depth are still needs. They need another CB and some depth there. I still think pass rush will be an issue.

Overall, I think they should be able to be as good as or improve on last years defense, especially the run defense.

5 minutes ago, Magox said:

I do think that the defense is beginning to really shape up.

The offensive line is a mess though and we still need a WR that can effectively stretch the field.

Kaelin Clay can do that but can he catch?

Just now, JMF2006 said:

Kaelin Clay can do that but can he catch?

He's a JAG 

We need someone with lots of speed who can separate.  Doesn't have to be a precise route runner but someone with some torque and burst, preferably with length.

Probably wont come this year.

We aren’t there yet until we get another OLB and DB.  We can be very strong in certain packages, but some will have weaknesses.  

You cant rely on getting starters on Day 3, but we have some cap and June 1 could help

9 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Not gonna happen this off season but we need a pass rushing DE. 

We have Hughes and the the FA guy from Washington’s.  Don’t forget Lawson. 

Why do you think this is a need?

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

We have Hughes and the the FA guy from Washington’s.  Don’t forget Lawson. 

Why do you think this is a need?

As a team, we were terrible vs the pass last season. Shaq is talking a big game for his 3rd season and I truly hope he can deliver. He established himself as a containment DE last year. 

I fear we’ve seen the best from Hughes and he’s going downhill..

16 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Stil a number of CB’s in FA available. Those who were holding out for more $$ will likely now just be happy to play after the Draft.

Not gonna happen this off season but we need a pass rushing DE. 

We could very well end up in the Nick Bosa hunt next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Offense will have to wait until next season but the defense is looking good. Need to add a couple CB's though, slot and depth. This unit could be special next season. Our sub package, which is basically our base defense, looks strong. 

I agree. I was thinking along these lines after we drafted Phillips. On paper we have a pretty solid defense, a couple more additions and we should be able to compete against most teams.

13 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

As a team, we were terrible vs the pass last season. Shaq is talking a big game for his 3rd season and I truly hope he can deliver. He established himself as a containment DE last year. 

I fear we’ve seen the best from Hughes and he’s going downhill..

I really think our lack of DT hurt our rushers. We’ve now add one Star, pun intended, and Phillips who are going to be a handful. On that alone, we will be better. 

Add Trent Murphy in and we are already a hugely upgraded unit. 

Does everyone think we are good at OLB with just Lorax and Milano?  Lorax is getting older and only seems to make an impact when utilized certain ways. 

Edited by Virgil
  • Like (+1) 1