RD3, Pick 96: Harrison Phillips DT - Stanford

• SDS unpinned this topic
Just now, joesixpack said:

Right. You're denigrating a player who racked up 100 tackles as a defensive tackle and *I* am the idiot?

Oh, bot, you kill me.

:lol:

I did just the opposite.  I complimented him as a great person in addition to being a good football player.  The fact that you lack the reading comprehension to understand that proves you are stuck in a moronic malaise and you are indeed an idiot.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I did just the opposite.  I complimented him as a great person in addition to being a good football player.  The fact that you lack the reading comprehension to understand that proves you are stuck in a moronic malaise and you are indeed an idiot.

You know what you're absolutely correct, I did misread. Muh bad.

On 4/30/2018 at 8:57 AM, Sky Diver said:

Kyle will work with him and coach him up. What he lacks in athleticism will be compensated for by heart and desire. I see him developing as a good player.

He's not too bad of an athlete. He was top 10 at the combine for DL in vertical jump, 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, and first in bench press. He's not an elite athlete, but I think he's plenty athletic, especially for a NT/1 tech DT, to be successful in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, elroy16 said:

He's not too bad of an athlete. He was top 10 at the combine for DL in vertical jump, 3 cone drill, 20 yard shuttle, and first in bench press. He's not an elite athlete, but I think he's plenty athletic, especially for a NT/1 tech DT, to be successful in the NFL. 

Do you think he can play 3-Tech?

37 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Do you think he can play 3-Tech?

Honestly I have no idea. Given how many tackles he racked up while at 0/1 tech in college, it seems like he should have the ability to do more than just tie up blockers in the NFL. I don't know enough about the intricacies of 1-tech versus 3-tech in the NFL or McDermott's system to say for sure. 

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

Right. You're denigrating a player who racked up 100 tackles as a defensive tackle and *I* am the idiot?

Oh, bot, you kill me.

:lol:

6 hours ago, joesixpack said:

You know what you're absolutely correct, I did misread. Muh bad.

We still luv ya Kid .

well done btw.
Humble wins the day;)

5 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Honestly I have no idea. Given how many tackles he racked up while at 0/1 tech in college, it seems like he should have the ability to do more than just tie up blockers in the NFL. I don't know enough about the intricacies of 1-tech versus 3-tech in the NFL or McDermott's system to say for sure. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

It was either McD or Beane who responded to this (it was a reporter question) by saying "I'm not sure, but I'd bet he'd like the opportunity [to play 3-tech]."

yes , it was McD. he is all googly eyed over this kid !!

and i agree. growth potential. smart and will learn from Kyle. Who is also very savvy smart and experienced. One of the best diagnosticians going  !

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, elroy16 said:

He was a national champion heavyweight wrestler as a junior and 3 time Neb. state champ, so I would say he is definitely athletic.

• Like (+1) 1

Top 15 steals of the 2018 NFL Draft

3. Harrison Phillips, DT, Buffalo Bills (96th overall)

usa_today_10-e1525457721773.jpg

Harrison Phillips was extremely productive in his senior campaign at Stanford. Phillips amassed a whopping 98 tackles from his Defensive Tackle spot. Phillips had 17.5 tackles for loss, and also added 7.5 sacks. Phillips was overlooked because he doesn’t have elite athleticism, but his play and production should have had him selected earlier. The Bills must have been ecstatic to land Phillips late in the Third Round. Phillips will be able to contribute right away for Buffalo, and he will try to fill the hole that Marcell Dareus left after he was traded to Jacksonville mid-season.

I think he will prove to be just fine as a 3 technique player.  He's a wrestler, it may not always look pretty but he gets the job done.  His college production says it all.  If he's doing that while being the nose, I'd really like to see him at the 3.  I am excited to see him in the rotation.  He provides great depth for Star as well.  Am very interested to see what the trio of Star, Phillips and Edmunds can do in the middle of that defense.