Why didn't NE make a move for a QB in Rd.1???

#34fan

Maybe because none of them were worth it.

Oh sure... They worked a few of them out... Took Meetings... There were some nibbles, but ultimately no bite...

You'd think with a 41-year old under center, they'd be interested in a youthful understudy.. Someone to pass the torch to... Not this time...

NE stayed the hell away from the top five, and let everyone else splurge...  Some won't see any special meaning in it, but I think it's because they knew this crop was crap.

Thoughts?

• Haha (+1) 1

Funny true story. Good friend who is a Pats fan is IM'ing me during the draft right around when the Pats were picking. I said I was surprised they didn't trade up for a QB. He said "they got Brady with a 6th. They'll find someone else there." :lol:

When was the last time NE traded a truckload of pics to move up?   Not their style.

Of course they could have had Lamar Jackson;  some here made a big deal out of his visit to NE.  But they passed on him, twice.

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Oh sure... They worked a few of them out... Took Meetings... There were some nibbles, but ultimately no bite...

You'd think with a 41-year old under center, they'd be interested in a youthful understudy.. Someone to pass the torch to... Not this time...

NE stayed the hell away from the top five, and let everyone else splurge...  Some won't see any special meaning in it, but I think it's because they knew this crop was crap.

Thoughts?

How do you know what NE* was thinking about this QB crop ? 

And who says they even had a shot at the top 4 ? ( you ? ) 

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Funny true story. Good friend who is a Pats fan is IM'ing me during the draft right around when the Pats were picking. I said I was surprised they didn't trade up for a QB. He said "they got Brady with a 6th. They'll find someone else there." :lol:

Wow... I don't doubt it for a second..

2 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Thoughts?

My thought is they will draft one in the 2nd.  I'm thinking Lauletta.  Possibly with a trade up.  They did meetings & worked guys out because you never know what will happen in the draft and they wanted to be prepared if someone slid to them.

I think it's paranoid to say they "knew this crop was crap".  NE didn't stay successful for as long as they have by not understanding draft value. 

I was LMAO at all the pundits hypothesizing the Giants and Broncos and Dolphins and Pats*** and who all else would draft a QB. 

When you have a capable NFL QB who can win for you, the value strategy is to put as many pieces as you can around him high in the draft, and take a shot on a second day guy, because its NBD if you miss, you can afford to pull the trigger a couple times over a few years. 

When you have the GOAT and he just passed for what, 500+ yds in the superbowl, double down on that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

When was the last time NE traded a truckload of pics to move up?   Not their style.

Of course they could have had Lamar Jackson;  some here made a big deal out of his visit to NE.  But they passed on him, twice.

Could you imagine what this board would be like if they did take L Jackson ? 

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

My thought is they will draft one in the 2nd.  I'm thinking Lauletta.  Possibly with a trade up.  They did meetings & worked guys out because you never know what will happen in the draft and they wanted to be prepared if someone slid to them.

I think it's paranoid to say they "knew this crop was crap".  NE didn't stay successful for as long as they have by not understanding draft value. 

I was LMAO at all the pundits hypothesizing the Giants and Broncos and Dolphins and Pats*** and who all else would draft a QB. 

When you have a capable NFL QB who can win for you, the value strategy is to put as many pieces as you can around him high in the draft, and take a shot on a second day guy, because its NBD if you miss, you can afford to pull the trigger a couple times over a few years. 

When you have the GOAT and he just passed for what, 500+ yds in the superbowl, double down on that.

One things for sure, whoever Belichick picks will instantly be the best QB in the draft. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, #34fan said:

Some won't see any special meaning in it, but I think it's because they knew this crop was crap.

Thoughts?

Really? Crap?? Yes, the Pats are outsmarting us all... SMH

Sirius was talking about this today, sounds like there could be several teams taking shots at the "next level" guys.  Frankly I'm happy we took a shot at one of the TOP guys not one of the "next tier" guys like we have the few times we've tried to address the position.

3 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

I think they would have gladly gone for Lamar J. if he fell into the 2nd, but for various reasons they had him valued lower than their 1st round picks.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

But what are the odds that NOTHING appealed to them in Rd. 1 of  this much-ballyhooed QB class?

Brady's ancient in football years, yet no move to upgrade in the first round of what's being billed as the best QB draft since '12!

I find that worrisome... I'd love to see their draft reports on the top 5.

6 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

That seems to be a popular thought 

I'm thinking Kyle Allen. Riley Ferguson, or Kenny Hill UDFA from TCU.

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think they would have gladly gone for Lamar J. if he fell into the 2nd, but for various reasons they had him valued lower than their 1st round picks.

Probably one of the reasons the Ravens traded back up into the 1st for him.  Someone early in round 2 probably had an eye on him.  You have the Giants, Broncos, Phins, Pats in the first 10 to 12 picks in the 2nd round.  Broncos are in good shape for Rudolph here if Elway really likes him.  Phins are in good shape for Falk and the Pats Lauletta.

Edited by NewEraBills

As a Bills fan I don't really care what QB they pick.  I'm sure the pundits will rave all night about whomever it is but if they didn't trade Garoppolo for a 2nd they'd be set.  Major strategic blunder.  I  rest easy knowing that no matter who it is it's a 100% certainty it will be a downgrade from Brady.  A once in a life time player.  And the big edge they've had at QB for all these years will soon be gone.  IMO, the odds of them stepping in crap again and lucking out with another late round steal like TB are slim to none.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, #34fan said:

But what are the odds that NOTHING appealed to them in Rd. 1 of  this much-ballyhooed QB class?

It's not a question of "appealed to them", it's a question of "appealed to them enough to give up the immense amount of draft capital"

vs

the need to keep improving their team and try to land another SB championship while they still have Brady.

15 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Probably one of the reasons the Ravens traded back up into the 1st for him.  Someone early in round 2 probably had an eye on him.  You have the Giants, Broncos, Phins, Pats in the first 10 to 12 picks in the 2nd round.

That, plus the 5th year option is big