THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - "Sling It and Bring It"

Shaw66

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Hopefully the only thing Pegula ever says is "I'm just here to listen."

Actually I'd guess he has a veto.  

For example, i can imagine that if Terry and Kim were really unhappy about the Tweet from five years ago, they might have vetoed Allen. 

6 hours ago, freddyjj said:

A Quick look at the D:  

Needs 

Still need a 3rd Safety to play the in the box nickel hybrid role for the D.  This can be a day 3 find or UDFA.

I don't disagree with the notion that McDermott's D would benefit greatly from this type of player.

HOWEVER...the Bills did add veterans and quality special teamers and sub-package guys Kelcie McCray and Rafael Bush at safety. It will not surprise me at all if they don't take the type of player you mentioned and prefer the veteran depth/ST contributors instead.

7 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Essentially, Beane sent a message to McDermott:  “I’m getting you the best talent available.  It’s your job to get them to be stars in the NFL.”

And McDermott is ready for the challenge, because McDermott has shown already that he’s prepared for any football challenge. 

Great post overall, but I wanted to highlight the above section. I think it's very accurate and very telling as to what Beane and McDermott will be doing in terms of rookie player acquisition going forward. 

The Carolina Panthers famously drafted the best athletic specimens they could find for years and told the coaches "here you go, now coach 'em up". By and large, it worked. The question in Buffalo is whether or not they will be able to "coach 'em up" as well as the Carolina staff was able to.

Defensively, I feel great about the prospects of this happening. McDermott, Frazier, and Babich are an EXCELLENT trio of coaches. We saw it last year with how much the Bills defenders improved their fundamentals, smarts, and execution from where they were under Rex. We also saw it with how they turned Poyer and Hyde into elite safeties and helped Tre'Davious White play like a seasoned veteran.

Offensively? That one makes me a little bit more nervous. Bills quarterbacks coach David Culley hasn't coached quarterbacks since 1988, and that was for the Southwestern Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns! I'm not making that up, even though it sounds like I am. We're entrusting the biggest boom-or-bust, project QB in the draft (and with him, the ultimate fate of the franchise)...to a man who hasn't coached QBs in 30 years. That is tremendously worrisome, in my opinion. 

The "get great athletes, let the coaches coach" strategy can be a good one. So long as the coaches can coach. I have faith in the defensive coaches to do just that. I am nervous about the offensive coaches holding up their end of the bargain.

Been on this board lurking since '99 - first time I've actually posted. 

This guy always brings a good perspective to balance out all of the nonsense.  

I'm skeptical of the picks, but love the overall strategy.  Can't remember the last time we actually had one of those...

Nice write up Shaw! Really enjoyed it. I don’t think your account is that far off either.

Im a little biased toward Allen because of his background. I am a farmer and if the “ apple doesn’t fall far from the tree” Josh Allen has learned how to be dedicated, persistent and to put your whole heart into what you do. I don’t think that the word “ quit” means anything to him. We will see his best and that just might be great!

An old coach once told me that if he had a stud mlb he could build a great defense. Edmunds could be that guy, he has the raw talent. Nfl genes to boot.

Could this be the start of something special? 

Had to the old-fashioned donuts!!

Good stuff Shaw. In certain respects, it represents much of my feelings about the first two picks.

Bottom line is that Beane has given McDermott his two field 'generals', and it's up to the coaches to get them up to speed.

Thing is, with Edmunds age, and the longevity of QBs, it's a pairing that could exist for 15 years, if everything panned out, or at least both kids get close to their respective 'ceilings'.

Allen, is obviously the bigger question mark of the two, at least in part due to the family DNA of Edmunds. But he's also pretty raw, and with his intelligence and willingness to work, has plenty of redeeming attributes, apart from the obvious physical ones.

Personally, I'm worried by the inaccuracy numbers of Allen, as much as anything else. No matter how many 'excuses' about type of throws and lack of surrounding WRs you want to make, it still isn't going to account for enopugh of a difference to bolster the number to where it reaches the 'good'.

I will also say that I've more than a sneaky suspicion that Allen was the #1 QB on their board.

Comments about arm strength and hand size, that are lurking around in the pressers, alongside adverse conditions, make me believe that Allen was their top pick, but oddly enough, over Rosen, with Darnold 3rd and Mayfield last of the 'top four' QBs.

They've also talked about size (height) in the past, which I think is why Mayfield was lower down, especially after having seen Taylor's struggles up close.

Hand size, iirc, was a knock on Darnold, and Beane was pretty complimentary about Rosen even after taking Allen.

There was also chatter about the Bills 'doubling down' on Rosen in the last hours before the draft, and I'd say that was because if they didn't like anything they found out about the tweets from Allen, they would have gone to their #2 guy, and double checked themselves at the death.

Ultimately, I think they've 'swung for the fences' with their first two picks. I think Edmunds is highly likely to become the absolute stud forecast, as his ancestry just screams he will, but Allen is the guy by whom Beane and McDermott will stand or fall in the long run. They could be the foundation blocks of a dynasty rebuilt, but you need the QB to succed for any success the other guy has, to be truly relevant.

The next couple of years are going to be very interesting, with hopefully more highs than lows, but I think we are getting both again. ;)

I'm looking at this draft this way.   We had three picks in the first 3 rounds and got a high-ceiling project QB,  a very good MLB and a  DT in the 3rd who should have been in the 30-50 range.  That is a success.   I wanted to pick up a remake of the o-line with picks 53, 56 and 65.  Looking at how the draft shook out, all the good ones (3 good centers especially) were taken earlier than that and it was mostly DB's taken in that area.  So we didn't miss on rebuilding the line, unless we consolidated the picks and drafted up to get 1 or 2 guys.  Not that smart to reach for early 2nd round guys.

Let's hope Allen can handle the greater speed of the pro game.  If so, we are in good shape.

1 hour ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

I'm looking at this draft this way.   We had three picks in the first 3 rounds and got a high-ceiling project QB,  a very good MLB and a  DT in the 3rd who should have been in the 30-50 range.  That is a success.   I wanted to pick up a remake of the o-line with picks 53, 56 and 65.  Looking at how the draft shook out, all the good ones (3 good centers especially) were taken earlier than that and it was mostly DB's taken in that area.  So we didn't miss on rebuilding the line, unless we consolidated the picks and drafted up to get 1 or 2 guys.  Not that smart to reach for early 2nd round guys.

Let's hope Allen can handle the greater speed of the pro game.  If so, we are in good shape.

That's an interesting analysis.   It's need based, but it makes some sense.   Months ago, when the draft was off in the future, I had some unspecific notion that the Bills would get a couple of offensive linemen in the first three rounds.    Like you, I was a little unhappy they didn't.  But your post makes me realize the value wasn't there.   If the only way to get good linemen is to forgo the chance to get a top QB and a top linebacker, you have to go QB, LB.  

It just seems so clear that they're trying to build the Carolina Panthers.   That's not necessarily a good or bad thing, but the evidence is there.   Big, strong QB.  Strong running game.  Incredibly athletic MLB.  Tough front four.   Smart, disciplined DBs.  

One thing about the oline -  few olines can deal with the talent and the schemes they find on the defenses they face.   Even if you can put together a superior line, you can't afford to keep it for very long - free agents are always leaving, because if you're paying a stud left tackle, you can afford to pay maybe one more stud on the line, but that's it.  One way to approach this combination of problems is to design an offense around that problem.   That's why the offenses have gone to the quick passing game.  Also, coaches are necessarily required to work with less than the best talent, so they design blocking schemes, like zone blocking, that depend more on execution than on winning the physical battle.   Just get the defense moving and get in their way.   If you do that, you can live with less than the best talent - with guys you draft on day three, where you find dedicated players with less that premier size or talent.  

I'm hoping the Bills find today two or three of the guys they need up front.   They won't be stars, but they can be serviceable.  

I was watching a youtube of the Bleacher Report guys doing their draft day , broadcast? computer cast? tubecast? Anyway this was recorded and I watched it after the draft yesterday. One of them said something very interesting.

He said that Josh Allen is his favorite QB in this draft but then disclosed that they made friends over a year ago by way of full disclosure. Like in case anyone would say he is biased. But here is what surprised me.

He said Josh Allen was pretty sure he was going to the Bills, ..... a year ago. Since a whole year ago Josh had been telling this guy that he is pretty sure the Buffalo Bills are going to grab him in this years draft. That was a big surprise to me.

48 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I was watching a youtube of the Bleacher Report guys doing their draft day , broadcast? computer cast? tubecast? Anyway this was recorded and I watched it after the draft yesterday. One of them said something very interesting.

He said that Josh Allen is his favorite QB in this draft but then disclosed that they made friends over a year ago by way of full disclosure. Like in case anyone would say he is biased. But here is what surprised me.

He said Josh Allen was pretty sure he was going to the Bills, ..... a year ago. Since a whole year ago Josh had been telling this guy that he is pretty sure the Buffalo Bills are going to grab him in this years draft. That was a big surprise to me.

it's always nice to think they got the guy they wanted all along without having to trade up further.   

The thing is, Rosen might have felt the same thing.   And Darnold.   

The teams are telling all these guys they love 'em, because they want the guys to be happy if they go to that team.  

2 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

it's always nice to think they got the guy they wanted all along without having to trade up further.   

The thing is, Rosen might have felt the same thing.   And Darnold.   

The teams are telling all these guys they love 'em, because they want the guys to be happy if they go to that team.  

That's pretty cynical. But maybe true. :)

However, wouldn't that mean that the Bills were the only team telling Allen they loved him? Otherwise he wouldn't be able to narrow it down. Or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

To me it seems like this would lend support to the idea that the Bills factored this in to passing on Mahomes.