THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - "Sling It and Bring It"

Shaw66

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

That's an interesting analysis.   It's need based, but it makes some sense.   Months ago, when the draft was off in the future, I had some unspecific notion that the Bills would get a couple of offensive linemen in the first three rounds.    Like you, I was a little unhappy they didn't.  But your post makes me realize the value wasn't there.   If the only way to get good linemen is to forgo the chance to get a top QB and a top linebacker, you have to go QB, LB.  

It just seems so clear that they're trying to build the Carolina Panthers.   That's not necessarily a good or bad thing, but the evidence is there.   Big, strong QB.  Strong running game.  Incredibly athletic MLB.  Tough front four.   Smart, disciplined DBs.  

One thing about the oline -  few olines can deal with the talent and the schemes they find on the defenses they face.   Even if you can put together a superior line, you can't afford to keep it for very long - free agents are always leaving, because if you're paying a stud left tackle, you can afford to pay maybe one more stud on the line, but that's it.  One way to approach this combination of problems is to design an offense around that problem.   That's why the offenses have gone to the quick passing game.  Also, coaches are necessarily required to work with less than the best talent, so they design blocking schemes, like zone blocking, that depend more on execution than on winning the physical battle.   Just get the defense moving and get in their way.   If you do that, you can live with less than the best talent - with guys you draft on day three, where you find dedicated players with less that premier size or talent.  

I'm hoping the Bills find today two or three of the guys they need up front.   They won't be stars, but they can be serviceable.  

Great thread as usual.

Now is not the time to think small about todays picks.

Bill's got Kyle Williams Jr. yesterday, today it's time for the next Billy Shaw!

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

That's pretty cynical. But maybe true. :)

However, wouldn't that mean that the Bills were the only team telling Allen they loved him? Otherwise he wouldn't be able to narrow it down. Or am I missing a piece of the puzzle?

To me it seems like this would lend support to the idea that the Bills factored this in to passing on Mahomes.

To your first point, I'd say it was just coincidence.   Several teams were telling Allen they loved him; for some reason he just felt it would be Buffalo.  

Your second point is very interesting.   Given Andy Reid's view of Mahomes, and how he's played in limited action, it certainly seems odd that they passed on Mahomes.   There are explanations, like McD wanted the new GM to make the pick, not Whaley, but it also could be that McD saw Allen coming and wanted him.   Plus, McD could see that Darnold and Rosen and Mayfield were coming, so in general it looked like a good year. 

Some teams DO fall in love with players early and continue to like them.   If you're right, that's the kind of story that won't get told now; it'll get told after Allen wins a Super Bowl or two, and McDermott is reminiscing about the first time he saw Allen and how that day he made up his mind.   Donahoe's similar story about Losman never gets told!