RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

42 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I know that Yeezus loves to push buttons but he isn’t necessarily wrong. It is a big gamble to take a risk/reward guy over a safe guy. There isn’t a solid track record of QB development or infrastructure here to accomplish that. That doesn’t mean Allen will be good or bad but it is certainly risky.

I agree. If we had Andy Reid here, I’m definitely more on board if not totally sold.  It’s hard for me to trust a team that is essentially ran by a defensive coach who has made questionable at best decisions regarding the offense.

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree. If we had Andy Reid here, I’m definitely more on board if not totally sold.  It’s hard for me to trust a team that is essentially ran by a defensive coach who has made questionable at best decisions regarding the offense.

Questionable at best? Cmon man, it isnt even worth reading your opinions if they are that bad.

22 minutes ago, eball said:

Why isn't the fact that Allen played under center and not in a gimmicky college spread offense used to infer he may actually be MORE ready to play in the NFL?

Because he wasn’t really that successful at it.  But to your point, that’s also why I like Rosen more.  He just looked like a nfl qb.

5 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Yeah i heard on ESPN that they have Goff get to the line quickly so that the coach can reset the offense, etc. Thats not qb development. Thats a crutch. 

In addition to Goff, McVay had quite a bit to do with the maturation and development of Kirk Cousins into a pretty good NFL QB.  This is undisputed to anyone who's familiar with the league. 

Just now, Bill_with_it said:

Questionable at best? Cmon man, it isnt even worth reading your opinions if they are that bad.

Right. I need to fully support everything the Bills did, cult style.

they hired a bad OC that got fired less than a year on the job.

they forced Tyrod into a WCO, which smart posters knew was a bad fit.

they traded away their best wr who did the thing Tyrod did best a month before the season.

they traded for Benjamin, who gets hurt every other game and has gotten worse every season of his career.

they brought Jordan Matthews in to be a number 1 wr.

zay Jones was a disaster and nearly killed himself this offseason.

they drafted a qb who couldn’t make any of the All MWC teams.

yeah, why should anyone ever question their offensive moves?

1 hour ago, Yeezus said:

Sean McDermott is a great coach don't get me wrong, but the man has zero experience in developing QB's. 

He is defensive guy, he has no idea what to look for in a successful franchise QB. The same goes for every other defensive minded coach we hired the last 15 years who had failed QB's. Project QB's need tons of coaching, and good coaching. 

Who do we even have on staff that has any success with developing QB's? Daboll isn't really a QB guru, and his NFL track record is pretty mediocre so he is still a huge question mark. And our actual QB coach is a WR's coach so I'm not sure who Brandon Beane is planning on teaching Josh Allen. 

We don't even have a skilled vet QB on the team. This is the main reason why Josh Allen makes zero sense to a lot of us. The bills are not in a position right now where they can bring on a project QB. 

You're right. It would have made much more sense to draft an arrogant, pompous, know-it-all, frail, concussion-prone, doesn’t know when to shut up QB like Josh Rosen.

On second thought, the Bills made the most sense drafting Josh Allen.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Right. I need to fully support everything the Bills did, cult style.

they hired a bad OC that got fired less than a year on the job.

they forced Tyrod into a WCO, which smart posters knew was a bad fit.

they traded away their best wr who did the thing Tyrod did best a month before the season.

they traded for Benjamin, who gets hurt every other game and has gotten worse every season of his career.

they brought Jordan Matthews in to be a number 1 wr.

zay Jones was a disaster and nearly killed himself this offseason.

they drafted a qb who couldn’t make any of the All MWC teams.

yeah, why should anyone ever question their offensive moves?

Well let me just respond

-No first time head coach ever made a wrong decision by giving their iffensive coordinator autonomy to do their job.

-Rick Dennison has enjoyed success at the OC spot in the league contrary to what you state hes actually been to the playoffs in this capacity.

-Posters have kess knowledge about football than Dennison’s pinky finger yourself included. It was lauded as an experiment that may work. To suggest you or any other poster on this site has more knowledge regarding football than Mcdermott and Dennison is laughable at best. A clock is correct two times a day so your guess may have came to fruition, however its not to the vast knowledge regarding o or d playcalling.

-The best? He was a headcase, that refused to rehab correctly, whined about everything, belittled fans, and wasnt a very good team mate. He went to a team where he was largely outshine by a previous bills player. He put up jag mumbers last year and is still hitching his wagon to that illustrious potential word.

-KB played through a knee injury from his start at buffalo, alot more than I can say than Sammy.

-Do you understand how the cap works? And how bad whaley put us in cap hell? Thats why Jordan was on our team.

-Unlike you I wont comment on Jones because I dont know the full extent, just like you. 

-If you havent realized the state if denial you are in yet, just take a look around the league of people whi disagree with you. Not just posters but real football people.

It was fun but now a movie is avalling me. You can stew in anger because of some past decisions that you didnt like, or you can realize that the football team is in the best hands its been in in decades.

I think Rosen's biggest risk is his lack of mobility, elusiveness and foot speed which can lead to the hits that cause concussions and injuries. You would need a strong O line that could protect him and hold the pocket while his WRs run their routes.  With our current Offensive Line and Receiving core, would he be anymore pro ready or successful than Josh Allen?

Edited by Magnum Force

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Allen pick would have made sense if we had a coach like McVay/Shanahan
4 minutes ago, Magnum Force said:

I think Rosen's biggest risk is his lack of mobility, elusiveness and foot speed which can lead to the hits that cause concussions and injuries. You would need a strong O line that could protect him and hold the pocket while his WRs run their routes.  With our current Offensive Line and Receiving core, would he be anymore pro ready or successful than Josh Allen?

His demonstrated ability to read defenses and go through progressions on an advanced level to deliver the ball quickly will mitigate against this problem just as it does with QBs like Brady. Rosen has good pocket mobility coming from a tennis background.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This pre-draft interview with Trent Dilfer explains why some teams were afraid of Rosen.

Rosen is overhyped and overrated. Watch this and tell me there aren’t serious issues with his game as far as accuracy and decision making. There is a reason he was the 4th QB taken in the draft.

Edited by Sky Diver

49 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:
57 minutes ago, Bill_with_it said:

Yeah i heard on ESPN that they have Goff get to the line quickly so that the coach can reset the offense, etc. Thats not qb development. Thats a crutch. 

In addition to Goff, McVay had quite a bit to do with the maturation and development of Kirk Cousins into a pretty good NFL QB.  This is undisputed to anyone who's familiar with the league. 

Undisputed???

Do you (a) read this board and (b) pay attention to the NFL reports??

Cousins is still being questioned as a true Franchise QB across the NFL.   

30 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

His demonstrated ability to read defenses and go through progressions on an advanced level to deliver the ball quickly will mitigate against this problem just as it does with QBs like Brady. Rosen has good pocket mobility coming from a tennis background.

Sounds good, but is it true? Not from what I have seen. If he is so advanced, why was he the fourth QB taken in the draft?

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Sounds good, but is it true? Not from what I have seen. If he is so advanced, why was he the fourth QB taken in the draft?

It had nothing to do with what I described that is evident from watching him play. No surprise you didn't notice the obvious. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It had nothing to do with what I described that is evident from watching him play. No surprise you didn't notice the obvious. 

So you watched the video of the A&M game and you can tell me you see advanced QB play?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

So you watched the video of the A&M game and you can tell me you see advanced QB play?

I watched several of his games including that one as it was played and I do indeed.  You're used to watching Alabama QBs so no wonder you don't know what to look for.