RD1, Pick 7: Josh Allen QB - Wyoming

SDS

20 minutes ago, The Virginian said:

I don't see why not, especially if a lot of people are banging on the 56 percent completion stat as a sure sign he's going to fail. 

You don’t see why it’s silly to compare the completion percentages of a player from 2017 to one in 1990? 

Edited by Bangarang

On 2018-04-27 at 12:29 AM, Eric Moulds on my A** said:

The value and potential with Tremaine is galactic. An absolute steal and the WR class this year was not great at all.

I didn’t say Edmunds was garbage, far from it, but we haven’t had a good reciever in years and our o-line is falling apart (Shady is gonna have a tough time running and if he can’t run we won’t be passing well either) . I hope he makes the defence great as I am sure he will, I just want to see some excitement again with this team and it doesn’t come from a snore fest of defensive plays for points :-(

Just now, Billsflyer12 said:

Your eyeballs told you that Allen was a better QB then Rosen or even Jackson?

Rosen was my number one.  Then I liked Darnold, Mayfield, and Allen.

I really liked all of the big 4.  I'm just happy the Bills identified their guy and went and got him.  

Like the pick or not, no one knows how these kids are going to turn out.  This isn't Science.

4 minutes ago, Need4speed12000 said:

From what they do on the field in the nfl. Your just seeing their mechanics, leadership, drive to win, situational plays, etc from college. We all know the nfl is another level and it’s taught by the coaches and veterans. You don’t become a race car driver just because you got your license, you learn to drive. Throw him at the helm, and you will see what Allen can really do for the Bills.....

But the data out there says your theory is not true.  Of the 38 QB drafted between 2010-2017 that have thrown at least 300 NFL passes, NONE of them have exceeded their college success rate in their 1st 4 years in the pros. (1ST 4 years used as that is their rookie contract length). In other words their college numbers are their ceiling.

12 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

But the data out there says your theory is not true.  Of the 38 QB drafted between 2010-2017 that have thrown at least 300 NFL passes, NONE of them have exceeded their college success rate in their 1st 4 years in the pros. (1ST 4 years used as that is their rookie contract length). In other words their college numbers are their ceiling.

•  

Read your article again, it’s says first 4 years of pro........not many qbs are instant stars in their first few years......

26 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

•  

Carson Wentz proves this theory wrong.......in his 2nd year of pro although only playing 13 games he exceeded his numbers of yards, tds, and less interceptions then his best year in college.....

Edited by Need4speed12000
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Need4speed12000 said:

Read your article again, it’s says first 4 years of pro........not many qbs are instant stars in their first few years......

The article specifically states why they use the first 4 years as a benchmark along with other details in the paragraphs that follow.

5 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

The article specifically states why they use the first 4 years as a benchmark along with other details in the paragraphs that follow.

Even the best qbs need time in the nfl to learn defensive schemes, new playbooks.........this is not a very valid or accurate article to judge a qb lol......once a system is learned, chemistry with teammates, etc, many qbs have far exceeded their college stats.......if your saying will Allen be a superstar in his first 4 years probably not with their current roster. But give him a few targets and a good o-line with his talent, and the skies the limit for this kid

Edited by Need4speed12000

2 minutes ago, Need4speed12000 said:

Carson Wentz proves this theory wrong.......in his 2nd year of pro although only playing 13 games he exceeded his numbers of yards, tds, and less into then his best year in college.....

Wentz has yet to get to 4 years, they did mention Goff, as one who has recovered in NFL from one year to the next.  Even if 1 or 2 outliers do come about, doesn't prove theory wrong. The chance that all of these QB have generally reached their statistical ceiling in college is overwhelmingly high.

2 minutes ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Wentz has yet to get to 4 years, they did mention Goff, as one who has recovered in NFL from one year to the next.  Even if 1 or 2 outliers do come about, doesn't prove theory wrong. The chance that all of these QB have generally reached their statistical ceiling in college is overwhelmingly high.

Well I guess when Allen is inducted into the HOF, you can put your doubts to rest lol

8 minutes ago, Need4speed12000 said:

Even the best qbs need time in the nfl to learn defensive schemes, new playbooks.........this is not a very valid or accurate article to judge a qb lol

But 1st round QB draft picks don't get time to learn.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.47.47 PM.png

4 minutes ago, Need4speed12000 said:

Well I guess when Allen is inducted into the HOF, you can put your doubts to rest lol

I hope Im wrong, but almost every data point says otherwise.

Edited by Billsflyer12

1 hour ago, Billsflyer12 said:

So how then are we suppose to judge college QBs?

We are not supposed to. The scouts and GM are supposed to.

1 hour ago, Need4speed12000 said:

No silly is saying a qb is garbage because of college stats period.......both Favre and Brady both had mediocre at best in yards, percentage, and tds.........doesn’t mean they are gonna be crap, which is my point here......

and it's a good point. Kelly's college stats were crap and he had shoulder surgery, turned out ok.

I can't believe you guys are fighting about the Bills targeting, and trading up for a QB they decided was the best for this team.  There should be 63 pages in this thread of Bills fans congratulating each other for finally having a chance at having a franchise QB.  We finally have a GM that had the balls to take a chance on top 10 QB no matter the cost.  Quit your whining and root for your team or go root for the Cardinals or whatever team drafted the guy you wanted.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I wish Allen played in a major conference with a better supporting cast against better opponents.  It would've given me more confidence that he can perform at a high level in the NFL as the pick required  a leap of faith by Beane/McDermott.  I give them credit for taking a chance on his upside knowing their jobs are probably on the line based on how he turns out.

Edited by Doc Brown

1 minute ago, Doc Brown said:

I wish Allen played in a major conference with a better supporting cast against better opponents.  It would've given me more confidence that he can perform at a high level in the NFL as the pick is almost like a leap in faith that he'll be a great one. 

If that happened and he excelled, we wouldn't have had a chance at getting him.  He would have gone #1.  Just have to trust the Bills scouts and front office, and hope he excels as our franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PIZ said:

If that happened and he excelled, we wouldn't have had a chance at getting him.  He would have gone #1.  Just have to trust the Bills scouts and front office, and hope he excels as our franchise QB.

Never thought of it that way.  He also could've been projected to go in the late rounds.  I guess the "trust the process" slogan is going to be really put to the test here.

• Like (+1) 1

Some interesting tweets......

Some of you guys think this guy (Rosen) would have been a fit with McBeane?  Not doubting him as a player, but this is not the kind of player McDermott wants on his team.  Beane and McDermott purged all of those guys from the team within the last year.....

• Like (+1) 2

The more I read about how bad Arizona is said to have wanted Allen and the more I think about it, the more I wonder if they were the ones who leaked those old tweets...

They know how important personality, high character and the culture in the locker room are to McDermott and Beane. 

They (probably) also knew how much the Bills wanted Allen (it didn't seem to be a well kept secret...) and that they didn't have the ammo the Bills did. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

But 1st round QB draft picks don't get time to learn.

Screen Shot 2018-04-28 at 9.47.47 PM.png

And a lot of those guys failed. Lets look at the list of some guys who did get to wait, in the relatively modern era

Tom Brady - 17

Aaron Rogers - 48

Patrick Mahomes - 16

Brett Favre - 19

Jay Cutler - 12

maybe a key is to be patient and sit