Is there a precedent for developing a low-percentage QB?

finn

2 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

Allen seemed to have a mechanical issue with his footwork leading to inconsistant throws.

Why is it that we assume Darnold can fix his mechanics but Allen cannot?

Again you picked 58% as an arbitrary number.

A few QBs have been around the 60% mark.

Russell Wilson was sub 60% until his absurd senior year comp%

Allen is a Jr coming out

Aren't you doing the same? You say 58% is arbitrary then boost it up two points to 60% so you can make a point about a guy who is good, but then discount his last year that is over 60%.

That is an awful post.

30 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

5ae333424d597_BrettFarveStats.thumb.JPG.5262991ef4c896a5f1607446674be806.JPG

Brett Farve was a 54% passer in his senior year in college. 

In..... 1990. What was Johnny Unitas completion percentage? Come on man, you must know that's irrelevant and the style of play has changed.

Did he throw as many picks too? It's like Peterman. Instead of positives we are comparing all the negatives of the greats to him, that's not sensible or good.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

23 minutes ago, skibum said:

The % is low for Allen in large part because he didn't have a lot of dump-offs to running backs. Those pad the stats a lot. 

On tape, his long throws don't look inaccurate to me. 

Exactly. If the Wyoming offense had incorporated more of those short RB dump-offs and screens (if they'd had the RB talent to do it), Allen's completion percentage would easily have been 10 points higher and nobody would be talking about it. He certainly may have some "accuracy issues," but the constant references to completion percentage miss the mark as badly as an EJ Manuel pass.

1 hour ago, GG said:

To avoid a sack, did he throw the ball away to defenders, like Peterman, or to a totally uncatchable place?

Uncatchable.  His arm is strong enough to throw it over everyone's head, even at awkward angles while on the run.  Looking at his stats, he averages slightly less than 2 sacks per game.  That's pretty good.

I still don't like the pick but a lot of the comments here make him out to be JP Losman and I'm just not seeing that.

55 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Aren't you doing the same? You say 58% is arbitrary then boost it up two points to 60% so you can make a point about a guy who is good, but then discount his last year that is over 60%.

That is an awful post.

In..... 1990. What was Johnny Unitas completion percentage? Come on man, you must know that's irrelevant and the style of play has changed.

Did he throw as many picks too? It's like Peterman. Instead of positives we are comparing all the negatives of the greats to him, that's not sensible or good.

No I'm not.

The general consensus from just about every "expert" is 60%.

He dropped it to 58% to fit his narrative.

Favre, Marino, etc are too old of sample sizes.

Rules and offensive scheme's have changed btw.

Just like in the NBA,Jordan vs LeBron isn't fair because zone defenses were illegal when Jordan played.

3 hours ago, alluro said:

The classic example is hall of famer Brett Favre who had a completion percentage of 52.4% coming out of Southern Mississippi. He and Stafford should be viewed as anomalies, however. The vast majority of inaccurate passers DO NOT overcome this weakness. 

I've never been more disappointed in a Bills draft in my life. SMH

Same here. In fact with all the build-up, all the moves, and all the excitement last night was soul crushing.

Completion percentage is how many times a Quarterback throws the ball and someone from his own team catches the ball. Accuracy is the ball going to the place you intended the ball to go. You cannot accuse Allen of being inaccurate unless you know where he was targeting. When Allen played with the same level of talent in the Senior bowl Allen went 9 for 13  69% for 158 yards and 2 TDs. I know this is a small example, but is more accurate of an example.

Edited by Tatonka68