Risch Eisen talks Josh Allen with Trent Dilfer from 4/19

The more fans learn about Allen and the less they look at his college stat line they are gonna fall in love with him, can't wait to see him in camp and on the field.

Heres a Link to the actual even that they discuss

Edited by greeneblitz
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Thanks for the share!! I have to admit i was hoping we would sit back a couple more picks and get up for Rosen before miami but after really looking into Allen and watching his pro day and videos like this. I am excited to see how this pans out. Then to get Edmunds on top of it all was just crazy. If these two hit this could be the biggest bills draft i can ever remember.

• Like (+1) 1

On his conf call last night he was asked what fans should think if they look up his stats. He said “don’t do it”! He was very accountable and didn’t blame anyone or lack of weapons or lack of screen passes. He said it has to get better and it will. 

• Like (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I think I understand Dilfer's point of differentiating and "accuracy" vs. completion percentage but he doesn't articulate it very well. 

Agreed.  I was enjoying it as well until that point.   

Since accuracy is not measured, you can't just say it trumps completion percentage.   How do you verify that statement without data?   Yes, it intuitively makes sense, but  show me how accurate Allen is vs other QBs.  You can't, since no one collects the data.    Completion percentage , while a dirty / inexact measure, does get measured and is historically correlated with better success...

Edited by Lurker
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Chandler's Hands said:

I think I understand Dilfer's point differentiating "accuracy" vs. completion percentage but he doesn't articulate it very well. 

Many if not most of his throws were not from a clean pocket, he's often throwing on the move, his receivers did not often get separation and his playstyle and the offense he was in was very aggressive. It's not an "excuse" it just doesn't show up in stats.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Since accuracy is not measured, you can't just say it trumps completion percentage.   How do you verify that statement without data?   Yes, it intuitively makes sence, but  show me how accurate Allen is vs outher QBs.  You can't, since no one collects the data.    Completion percentage , while a dirty / inacact measure, does get measured and is historically correlated with better success...

Watching tape, real tape, where you know the play that was called, can see the receiver and watch if Allen can get the ball where he wants it to go.  Thats what the pros do and thats why many today are saying trust the actual NFL scouts and not the armatures.

2 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Watching tape, real tape, where you know the play that was called, can see the receiver and watch if Allen can get the ball where he wants it to go.  Thats what the pros do and thats why many today are saying trust the actual NFL scouts and not the armatures.

https://www.google.com/search?q=armatures&rlz=1CAACAG_enUS598US598&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwixztiYtdraAhWxtVkKHTDOAdgQ_AUICygC&biw=1242&bih=536

Which one is Allen throwing to?

28 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

The more fans learn about Allen and the less they look at his college stat line they are gonna fall in love with him, can't wait to see him in camp and on the field.

Heres a Link to the actual even that they discuss

Great stuff.  Thanks for posting

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Since accuracy is not measured, you can't just say it trumps completion percentage.   How do you verify that statement without data?   Yes, it intuitively makes sence, but  show me how accurate Allen is vs outher QBs.  You can't, since no one collects the data.    Completion percentage , while a dirty / inacact measure, does get measured and is historically correlated with better success...

One thing some fans, analysts, and even coaches seem to struggle with is that there's a long way between "100% predictive" and "completely meaningless". Yeah, if completion % in college was a sure predictor of NFL success, Colt McCoy would be a star. But that doesn't mean that bad stats can be completely dismissed. Successful NFL QBs tend to have better college stats than bust QBs. 

For me, it's not just the poor completion %, it's that in combination with the very lackluster yardage totals and just okay TD:INT ratio. Even his stats from 2016 aren't impressive for a top 10 pick. Factor in the level of competition, and it's a big concern. These are legit red flags that can't just be hand-waved away with "stats are for losers".

That all doesn't guarantee that Allen will suck. He could be one of the rare cases whose stats get better in the pros. There are arguments out there for why, and I hope they're right. 

12 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Many if not most of his throws were not from a clean pocket, he's often throwing on the move, his receivers did not often get separation and his playstyle and the offense he was in was very aggressive. It's not an "excuse" it just doesn't show up in stats.

I hear ya. But which of those do you think will be better with the Bills, at least in the short term? We can't pass block, our receivers can't separate - not even our one good receiver. 

1 minute ago, Cash said:

I hear ya. But which of those do you think will be better with the Bills, at least in the short term? We can't pass block, our receivers can't separate - not even our one good receiver. 

If he is the real deal, then they will build around him and provide him with what he needs to be successful.