Anyone else besides me NOW wish we had given up a lot to get to 3?

9 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

No. Jets moving up that early was a panic plain and simple. Where they were sitting they likely would still have had one of the Big 4 drop in their lap or on draft Day could have had a good shot of sliding to 4 to get their guy ahead of Denver if that's what they feared. And for way less.

Being at 12 with the picks we have we have a shot to move up and get the QB we want or improve our roster greatly.

....IF necessary.....who knows where and when and who McBeane is targeting at QB?.....substance?...style?......scheme?.....significant input from McD and McDaboll?........just a wild hunch this guy values his draft capital and plays it close to the vest depending on their (The Trio) targets.....TBD post draft "damned if they did...damned if they didn't" threads including mass firings WILL be MORE entertaining than the actual draft...stay tuned...........

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....IF necessary.....who knows where and when and who McBeane is targeting at QB?.....substance?...style?......scheme?.....significant input from McD and McDaboll?........just a wild hunch this guy values his draft capital and plays it close to the vest depending on their (The Trio) targets.....TBD post draft "damned if they did...damned if they didn't" threads including mass firings WILL be MORE entertaining than the actual draft...stay tuned...........

I can see the threads now. They are GLORIOUS!!!

Has the term "Restock for Lock" been taken yet? I may want to copyright that one...

• Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, BillsCuse said:

I'm worried it's going to come back to haunt us.  My biggest fear is Giants go QB at 2, Cleveland won't trade out at 4 and Denver goes QB at 5.  The Jets getting a QB and not us would be miserable

Dude put your IPad down go have a drink get out of the house , smoke a doobie quit worrying so much !! 

Its gonna be ok ? !!

10 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Ive asked this question a couple times already -

Can anyone name a team that has traded up to #3 that far in advance before the draft? (6 weeks). I can't name one. 

Theres a reason it's almost unheard of... 

I still think it was a somewhat reckless trade by the Jets. They have no clue what will happen at 1 and 2. They may have given up all that just to get QB 3 on their board. 

Are they really in love with 3 separate QBs in this draft? What are the chance 3 QBs in this class are worth that haul of picks? 

Seems like a desperate move by a desperate GM IMO. I'd much rather have my GM identify their guy, not take a random shot at any one of 3 QBs. 

The Jets are from NYC...the top media city in the country.   They are scrutinized like 1000 times more than the Bills...They had to make that call.  If they get their Franchise QB that will last for a decade who cares what they gave up.

9 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The farm has no value without a QB. 

Yes, because we all know The Eagles' season ended the minute Foles had to step in.  :rolleyes:

Let's count Super Bowl wins...Rivers and The Chargers...zero.  Dilfer and The Ravens...one.  Foles and The Eagles...one.  Ergo, according to your assertation above, Foles and Dilfer are obviously better QBs then Rivers, right?

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, BillsCuse said:

I'm worried it's going to come back to haunt us.  My biggest fear is Giants go QB at 2, Cleveland won't trade out at 4 and Denver goes QB at 5.  The Jets getting a QB and not us would be miserable

This could happen, and we could getting a qb at 12, or 22.  We could still get a better qb than a few of the top 4 prospects.  As a group these guys are still unknown NFL players.  

With no trade we could get 6 very good players in 3 rounds.  We could get the best QB next year.  I think Beane will try to move up but you need a trade partner and you can’t desperately give up the farm to accomplish a goal that may turn out too risky.  Sometimes you just play out the hand you have, if that is the case then find a great MLB, WR, and shore up the Trenches.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

Yes, because we all know The Eagles' season ended the minute Foles had to step in.  :rolleyes:

Let's count Super Bowl wins...Rivers and The Chargers...zero.  Dilfer and The Ravens...one.  Foles and The Eagles...one.  Ergo, according to your assertation above, Foles and Dilfer are obviously better QBs then Rivers, right?

The Chargers have demonstrated utter incompetence since drafting Rivers (who is great, but can be a melodramatic inconsistent turnover machine himself). Let’s get our QB in place before worrying about failing to secure other positions. We can use those outlier examples all you want, but they are the exception rather than the rule. There is no way you can build a team around a guy like Dilfer. The 2000 Ravens required an all time great defense to win that championship.

A GM can not build a team with the goal of putting together an all time great defense. Doing so requires far too many lucky breaks. It’s not something that can planned. Discovering a franchise QB is a bit of a lotto ticket as well. However, there is one key difference, I’d rather attempt to find one winning lotto ticket as opposed to eleven. Building an all time great defense requires eleven lotto tickets. As far as Foles is concerned, he got hot at the right time imo. Start him next season and he’s back to looking like the average guy he is. It’s strange how many people use this argument, and act like Carson Wentz doesn’t exist. 

Edited by DriveFor1Outta5

2 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

The Chargers have demonstrated utter incompetence since drafting Rivers (who is great, but can be a melodramatic inconsistent turnover machine himself). Let’s get our QB in place before worrying about failing to secure other positions. We can use those outlier examples all you want, but they are the exception rather than the rule. There is no way you can build a team around a guy like Dilfer. The 2000 Ravens required an all time great defense to win that championship.

A GM can not build a team with the goal of putting together an all time great defense. Doing so requires far too many lucky breaks. It’s not something that can planned. Discovering a franchise QB is a bit of a lotto ticket as well. However, there is one key difference, I’d rather attempt to find one winning lotto ticket as opposed to eleven. Building an all time great defense requires eleven lotto tickets. As far as Foles is concerned, he got hot at the right time imo. Start him next season and he’s back to looking like the average guy he is. 

I'm curious.  How much would be too much to pay to move up in your eyes?  Or should the Bills give/have given a team ahead of them whatever they demanded without question?

You were the one who said the farm had no value without a QB.  Careful when dealing in absolutes and abstracts.  McBeane can't afford to just say...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDnkJdmJCfbQb1ITmhojz

6 minutes ago, The Red King said:

I'm curious.  How much would be too much to pay to move up in your eyes?  Or should the Bills give/have given a team ahead of them whatever they demanded without question?

You were the one who said the farm had no value without a QB.  Careful when dealing in absolutes and abstracts.  McBeane can't afford to just say...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDnkJdmJCfbQb1ITmhojz

I would give up a lot, and without concrete examples I cannot give you specifics. Everything the current regime has done would lead one to believe they were all in on a QB in 2018. Personally, I really like the 2018 draft class, and that plays a big role in my perception of this process. I’m not worried about what I might lose before attempting to gain a franchise changing player. Who knows how this draft will play out? It’s possible that they might not need to trade up to get a guy they like. If not, I’d be willing to give up quite a bit. 

6 minutes ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I would give up a lot, and without concrete examples I cannot give you specifics. Everything the current regime has done would lead one to believe they were all in on a QB in 2018. Personally, I really like the 2018 draft class, and that plays a big role in my perception of this process. I’m not worried about what I might lose before attempting to gain a franchise changing player. 

And yet, without knowing exactly what the Bills would have paid to move up, you're already saying Beane blew it.  And if we don't move up when the draft finally arrives, again with no idea what the cost will be, you're ready to label him a failure.  Beane has a threshold.  He will not overpay to move up.  You're already calling that threshold unreasonable without even knowing what it actually is...and yet your above reply suggests that even you would have an acceptable threshold.  You have absolutely no idea how much Beane is willing to spend, and no idea what he was asked to spend.  All we know is the asking price, whatever it was, exceeded the threshold, whatever that was.

Edited by The Red King

30 minutes ago, The Red King said:

And yet, without knowing exactly what the Bills would have paid to move up, you're already saying Beane blew it.  And if we don't move up when the draft finally arrives, again with no idea what the cost will be, you're ready to label him a failure.  Beane has a threshold.  He will not overpay to move up.  You're already calling that threshold unreasonable without even knowing what it actually is...and yet your above reply suggests that even you would have an acceptable threshold.  You have absolutely no idea how much Beane is willing to spend, and no idea what he was asked to spend.  All we know is the asking price, whatever it was, exceeded the threshold, whatever that was.

I never said any of the things that you say I said. I said that I’d be willing to give up a lot to choose a QB from this class. Failing to secure one of the top guys would be a failure imo. However, I never said that I’m ready to label Beane failure. 

2 hours ago, DriveFor1Outta5 said:

I never said any of the things that you say I said. I said that I’d be willing to give up a lot to choose a QB from this class. Failing to secure one of the top guys would be a failure imo. However, I never said that I’m ready to label Beane failure. 

Many here already are (for example the thread "Beane Cost us the 3rd overall pick.").  I must have mistook some other responses on this thread as yours and apologize for that.