Barkley highest guaranteed contract for rb's in league, if...

Drafted #2..

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/986337126806630401?s=20 

Chad Forbes
Say Giants select Barkley (Don’t Believe It) 2nd Overall.. Sign 4 Yr $29M+ contract fully guaranteed- 5th highest paid RB w/ largest total guarantee. 34th Overall pick will sign 4 Yr $7M+ deal w/ 75% guaranteed. Selecting RB 2nd Overall is like taking Guard there Yrs ago...

Is Barkley worth almost $30 mil guaranteed? Not saying he's not, but I would rather take a Guice, Michel, Chubb, Jones, Penny, etc.. They might be a tier down from Barkley, but they should all produce in the league. Giants can wait til pick 34 and get good value for Rb. If Giants select at #2, I see them going QB or Chubb(much harder to find stud DE than RB)

Edited by Bills4life1924

3 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

https://twitter.com/NFLDraftBites/status/986337126806630401?s=20 

Chad Forbes
Say Giants select Barkley (Don’t Believe It) 2nd Overall.. Sign 4 Yr $29M+ contract fully guaranteed- 5th highest paid RB w/ largest total guarantee. 34th Overall pick will sign 4 Yr $7M+ deal w/ 75% guaranteed. Selecting RB 2nd Overall is like taking Guard there Yrs ago...

Is Barkley worth almost $30 mil guaranteed? Not saying he's not, but I would rather take a Guice, Michel, Chubb, Jones, Penny, etc.. They might be a tier down from Barkley, but they should all produce in the league. Giants can wait til pick 34 and get good value for Rb. If Giants select at #2, I see them going QB or Chubb(much harder to find stud DE than RB)

I think Chubb makes a ton of sense..we just need them to pass on a quarterback. I don't care what else they do. If the Giants and Broncos take quarterbacks along with the Browns and Jets, we will be SOL. I still think they both pass on a quarterback. I still think the Giants trade down but who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I think Chubb makes a ton of sense..we just need them to pass on a quarterback. I don't care what else they do. If the Giants and Broncos take quarterbacks along with the Browns and Jets, we will be SOL. I still think they both pass on a quarterback. I still think the Giants trade down but who knows?

I agree, I too feel Giants and Broncos pass on QB, Let's hope we're right!!

Just now, kdiggz said:

Giants can still get him at 4 if they can figure out that 3 team trade scenario. Save a little money!

It's funny how it seems like a trade like this is so super complicated...but honestly there is a value chart that people use..,so it really isn't that hard to make sure everyone gets equal value. It seems way less complicate s than player trades. Especially considering that the GMs involved have pretty good history. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, kdiggz said:

Giants can still get him at 4 if they can figure out that 3 team trade scenario. Save a little money!

4 would make more sense (money wise).. We are all hoping for that friggen trade announcement.. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, but damn this is a damn tease if nothing comes to fruition!

You have to take that into account when you are drafting a player. If he Turns out you will probably be paying him 17 million plus after his first contract. I personally would not take a RB high for that reason, it does not matter how good they are. 

2 minutes ago, billspro said:

You have to take that into account when you are drafting a player. If he Turns out you will probably be paying him 17 million plus after his first contract. I personally would not take a RB high for that reason, it does not matter how good they are. 

I understand the high contract after a player has proven himself in the league on his rookie deal. But highest guarateed contract at your position before even playing a down in the league, I can't justify that

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It's funny how it seems like a trade like this is so super complicated...but honestly there is a value chart that people use..,so it really isn't that hard to make sure everyone gets equal value. It seems way less complicate s than player trades. Especially considering that the GMs involved have pretty good history. 

Supply and demand though.  With a lot of highly graded qb prospects combined with a lot of QB needy teams means those at the drop of the draft who aren't going for one of the top QB's have more leverage.  The Jets had to overpay if you use the draft chart to move up to #3.  We're going to have to give up more also if we want to move up that high.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jr1 said:

Dudes a beast, no doubt.. But rb at 2, I just don't see it. If giants stay at 2, get chubb and draft ur rb in 2nd rd. If they really want Barkley, this 3 team trade option would be giants best bet. They get who they want (save a little money) and get extra picks

4 minutes ago, Bills4life1924 said:

I understand the high contract after a player has proven himself in the league on his rookie deal. But highest guarateed contract at your position before even playing a down in the league, I can't justify that

There’s some consideration to be made that running backs that play a 5 year rookie deal with success tend to see their next 5 years he the downslope so vet contracts rarely guarantee money deep into deals.

Between the ease of transition and the short careers it’s a position that wouldn’t bother me for that reason... or at least that framing. I would just be a little bummed about the lack of cap savings for a rookie but not because he’s particularly risky. 

18 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Its not about getting "equal value", thats what will end up getting you fired if your too nice

Your job as the GM of your team is too get the best deal possible for your team by giving up as little as possible

Its also not so easy because different teams/GMs may value the spots and needs differently.The Bills, using the Value chart could come up with a package using however many of their 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks this year and next year that could equal the value of on the chart of one of the top 5 picks, but what team is going to be willing to make that deal? They are getting "equal value" according to the chart

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

What do you guy think the difference between Barkley and Guice is? It doesn't seem like a huge drop off to me. 

Barkley is being touted as the top player in the entire draft, not just the top RB, Guice isn't being considered as high so I would say theres a drop

4 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

There’s some consideration to be made that running backs that play a 5 year rookie deal with success tend to see their next 5 years he the downslope so vet contracts rarely guarantee money deep into deals.

Between the ease of transition and the short careers it’s a position that wouldn’t bother me for that reason... or at least that framing. I would just be a little bummed about the lack of cap savings for a rookie but not because he’s particularly risky. 

Good point, fair enough.. But if ur Gettleman and u stay at 2, do u take Barkley and whoever else in 2nd rd? Or would u rather have chubb and pick ur rb in 2nd rd? Just curious

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

What do you guy think the difference between Barkley and Guice is? It doesn't seem like a huge drop off to me. 

There may be a bit of a drop off, but not an insane amount to take Barkley at 2 (when u can get chubb, the drop off from him to other DE's is more significant imo). But not only Guice, I love this rb class, i feel u can get great value in 1st few rounds

I agree with MrEpsytown.  Just as long as they don’t go QB I’ll be happy.  I seriously doubt we make any kind of trade until draft night as we need to see where the available QB’s are at and then take a run at the 5-7 slots if we still have available the right QB.

If we get super lucky and both Chub and Barkley are taken with the second and fifth in whatever order as Denver just cut their RB, then Indy ia a logical trade partner as they need a lot of help and would benefit from extra picks.  If not, they won’t take a QB if Luck continues to improve and we then trade at a lower cost to the Bucs and the Bucs (for those who don’t know I live in Tampa) still believe in Winston.  They also gave up picks to the Giants for JPP, but also need several players.