NEW Bills Stadium question

Stadium Realities

1.)    New professional sports stadiums are not built for the benefit of the spectators, they are built to increase the profits of a select group of billionaires, developers, and a handful of businesses within a very narrow radius of the stadium.

2.)    An NFL stadium will never return to the taxpayers a profit, the cost of building them and the surrounding infrastructure to support them will never provide an economic benefit equal to the cost to the taxpayers. Any economic trickle down effect will reach a very small minority, and will be a tiny portion of the overall cost.

3.)    It does not matter whether the stadium is open, closed, retractable. The cost will always be much greater than the economic benefits.  The location or other possible uses will never make the economic benefits equal to or greater than the cost to the taxpayers.

4.)    If the cost of an NFL stadium and the supporting infrastructure was not subsidized by the taxpayer, NFL owners would have much different views of what an NFL stadium would look like and what it’s design features and benefits would be. They would be much more Spartan and much more basic.

5.)  Professional Sports Stadiums are not about the needs of the taxpayers. They are about the wants and desires of very select groups of individuals who can profit financially from them, and a small minority of the taxpayers who are fans of that sport who believe all the other taxpayers should be obligated to support their individual desire for entertainment.

Edited by simpleman
  • Like (+1) 4

SimpleMan, you’re right about a few of the ‘realities’ however your clearly slanted bias against ‘billionaires’ is showing.

As an aside, out here in Southern California we’re  in the midst of the two weekend Coachella Music Festival. That open air concert event is forecasted to bring almost $800 million to the Palm Springs Area through hotels, food, transportation etc.  That’s in two weekends!! 

Theres a lot more to the stadium economics than the cost of its initial construction.

An important thing.... and I hope it is some common sense that is realized by the Pegulas:

We do not have the possibility of extensive corporate backing, nor the high-end clientele to demand a ton of bells and whistles.

Make a football stadium with amazing seats close to the field, and give us the ability to make a ton of noise and get involved.

• Like (+1) 1

This is a more general question about development projects in Buffalo having moved away from the area 10 years ago. Is it even possible to get through all the bureaucracy to actually build a stadium downtown? I remember they couldn’t even figure out how to build a Bass Pro shop. If the same red tape is in place something tells me a new stadium might be a little bit more tricky.

4 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

This is a more general question about development projects in Buffalo having moved away from the area 10 years ago. Is it even possible to get through all the bureaucracy to actually build a stadium downtown? I remember they couldn’t even figure out how to build a Bass Pro shop. If the same red tape is in place something tells me a new stadium might be a little bit more tricky.

The more private money involved, the smoother things happen.  This Governor's administration has also seemed to take a greater interest in Buffalo than any NYS Governor in my memory. I think Polancarz is generally non-BS too.   If Pegula is (hypothetically) going to invest $500 Million in a project downtown and needs some roads and pipes.  It'll happen

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Leonhart2017 said:

Look at how quickly Harborcenter came together. City Hall bulldozed a path for the Pegulas.

Just now, HiddenInLight said:

I'd prefer retractable roof, as the weather in buffalo for the first half of the year is actually really nice.  It only starts to get about halfway through the year.

Except that ads $300-400MM to the price tag with no real benefit other than asthetics. Not to mention most retractable roofs jam up a lot. Potential wind and snow loads also a complicating factor.  US Bank stadium in Minny has a glass roof and the walls open to allow the breeze in. I'll bet that's what we get.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, HiddenInLight said:

I'd prefer retractable roof, as the weather in buffalo for the first half of the year is actually really nice.  It only starts to get about halfway through the year.

Actually some of the early season games the weather can be extreme. I got sunstroke one year and they were out of water; my brother had to beg for ice for me.

On 4/17/2018 at 7:38 PM, bills in oregon said:

I don’t live in Buffalo but I’m curious would you want a dome, open air or a retractable roof.  I personally would like to see the bills get a new stadium and possibly retractable roof definitely leave it open when the warm weather teams come to town .

A retractable dome isn't meant to be used as a weapon if warm weather teams come to town. It's meant to be closed during inclement conditions, regardless of the visiting team's origin. So I should wear my winter coat along with  thermal underwear, gloves,  winter hat with eye holes and my North Face winter boots to a stadium that has the capability to close the roof?