Two Weeks Out, What do you Currently want to happen?

Virgil

3 minutes ago, ges21146 said:

What do I currently want to happen?

The way I look at it Buffalo is trying to build a team for the future. Having said that, I think it would be a mistake to use up all of their draft capital to get into position to draft a "Franchise" quarterback. Let's be honest, in most cases a rookie quarterback needs to have some quality time behind a known starter to lean the ins and outs of the NFL (otherwise your setting him up to get killed) There is no guarantee that even if Buffalo was to get second pick of the draft that the quarterback would end up as viable long term solution. For example some notable 1st round failures include Mark Sanchez, David Carr, Tim Couch and Tod Blackledge (there are many more)

I think that Buffalo made a great decision to get AJ McCarron, he spent a 4 years learning from a capable starter (Andy Dalton), despite not playing much (practice makes perfect) he has been able to amass some respectable stats. Completion Percentage 64.7%, 6 TD with only 2 INT and a passer rating of 93.6 and deserves to be Buffalo's new starting QB, in fact I think he could become "The" franchise QB that everyone is looking for.

Now, having said all that, I would like to see Buffalo trade their #12 pick "DOWN" ideally, I would like to see them trade it to the NYG for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. What this would do is give Buffalo one 1st round pick, the equivalent of 5 second round picks (the 1st and second pick in the 3rd round is kind of equivalent to second round picks and a total of 7 count them SEVEN picks in the top 100.

Now that is rebuilding a team for the future!

Thoughts?

Trading back from #12 is definitely a possibility if the draft doesn't go their way in the top 10. Let's say they wanted Mayfield and Rosen and they could get a deal done to trade up and both are gone, then they wanted Roquan Smith and he was picked by the Raiders...this is where they might trade back for extra picks this year or next year and then hope either Jackson or Rudolph are there at #22 (of course, that's if they feel they can't justify pulling the trigger at #12 for either of those two QBs). 

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

What I want: Roquan Smith at 12 and a trade up from 22 for Lamar

What I expect: A trade up to the 7-10 range to take the 4th QB in the draft (my guess being Rosen)

I am 100% on board with the "what I want" you are stating

29 minutes ago, BuffaninATL said:

IMHO, not the winning strategy for getting the QB you want. Behaving passively will get us know nowhere, and if we act in this manner we will deserve what we get

But if we make our ultimate goal trading up then we will greatly overpay. 

3 hours ago, OJABBA said:

For me, it's really important for these Bills to at least match the 7-9 seasons, year in and year out. It's humiliating to finish at the bottom. 7-9, 8-8...these are good, entertaining seasons, that allow me to hold my head up with pride in my Buffalo Bills. It pains me when our O-line is noticeably worse than the rest of the league's. Or when our linebacker corp is terrible. Patriot fans make fun of my team,

Finding a QB MUST take a back seat to 7-9 seasons. We can't let this team fall back to the bottom, even for one season.

with all due respect, is this an attempt at humor/sarcasm? I ask this sincerely. Your first paragraph reeks of the classic Buffalo inferiority complex....Patriot fans make fun of your team? Do they beat you up and steal your lunchbox too? 7-9 and 8-8 seasons, year in and year out, allow you to feel good?  I almost feel sorry for this take, it is so self-loathing.

Since when is a 7-9 season a bigger priority than finding a potential franchise QB? If we are successful in our pursuit, we then turn our attention to filling holes through remaining picks and FA, especially FA next year. I believe an overwhelming majority of TBD members could swallow a poor season if we were to get the QB conundrum solved. Success, and wins, will follow. 

If you truly were trying to be funny/sarcastic, then I stand corrected and you have my apology. But if not, this is a sheer embarrassment.

Edited by BuffaninATL
incorrect word used in first post

1 hour ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Ha. You really think the end of the draft means it's over? Fat chance.

Immeadtly after the pick the people that didn't get the QB they wanted will start making "I'm done" and "Fire McBeane" threads. They will supply us with even more stats to show that Beane was wrong and they were right.

After that, we move to preseason, where the rookie QBs we didn't select will have some nice preseason moments against 3rd and 4th stringers. People will continue to point to that and tout how right they were. After that, any time any QB from this draft throws a TD pass there will be a thread made about it. Doesn't even matter how well the guy we select does or doesn't do. 

Somewhere on this board is someone that still believes to this day that had we taken Matt Barkley or Ryan Nassib we would be Super Bowl contenders at this moment. Guaranteed.

At least it'll be something new to debate. 2 months of "are the bills gonna move up and get their qb" and "here's my draft scenario" threads is plenty enough 

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

This is pretty much exactly what I want. Just switch McGlinchey and VanderEsch maybe

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 5.25.20 PM.png

If they pulled that draft off and picked up one of the FA MLB’s, I’d be ecstatic. Or, make one of those 3 straight offensive lineman picks a MLB

Edited by Virgil

3 hours ago, whatdrought said:

But if we make our ultimate goal trading up then we will greatly overpay. 

I think you are conflating trading up with sitting back and letting the draft come to you. Plus, you do not know with 100% certainty that we will greatly overpay. A premium, yes.

1 hour ago, BuffaninATL said:

I think you are conflating trading up with sitting back and letting the draft come to you. Plus, you do not know with 100% certainty that we will greatly overpay. A premium, yes.

I don't know that we will, but I do know that the Jets already overpaid, so it seems likely that the #2 pick will be quite a bit more expensive. 

Also, I am not opposed to trading up. My point was simply that we need to have a line in the sand that we aren't willing to cross. It's all about negotiating and not overplaying our hand.

8 hours ago, jrober38 said:

Ideally we trade up to the #6 pick to get either Baker Mayfield or Josh Rosen, keeping our 2nd and 3rd round picks to help us upgrade at LB, DE and on the OL. 

I say we let the first 3 picks drop.  Give the Mistake by the Lake 12 and 22, so that we get Mayfield or Rosen.  I would sleep with sugar plums in my head and bells on my toes.

5 hours ago, ges21146 said:

What do I currently want to happen?

The way I look at it Buffalo is trying to build a team for the future. Having said that, I think it would be a mistake to use up all of their draft capital to get into position to draft a "Franchise" quarterback. Let's be honest, in most cases a rookie quarterback needs to have some quality time behind a known starter to lean the ins and outs of the NFL (otherwise your setting him up to get killed) There is no guarantee that even if Buffalo was to get second pick of the draft that the quarterback would end up as viable long term solution. For example some notable 1st round failures include Mark Sanchez, David Carr, Tim Couch and Tod Blackledge (there are many more)

I think that Buffalo made a great decision to get AJ McCarron, he spent a 4 years learning from a capable starter (Andy Dalton), despite not playing much (practice makes perfect) he has been able to amass some respectable stats. Completion Percentage 64.7%, 6 TD with only 2 INT and a passer rating of 93.6 and deserves to be Buffalo's new starting QB, in fact I think he could become "The" franchise QB that everyone is looking for.

Now, having said all that, I would like to see Buffalo trade their #12 pick "DOWN" ideally, I would like to see them trade it to the NYG for their 2nd and 3rd round picks. What this would do is give Buffalo one 1st round pick, the equivalent of 5 second round picks (the 1st and second pick in the 3rd round is kind of equivalent to second round picks and a total of 7 count them SEVEN picks in the top 100.

Now that is rebuilding a team for the future!

Thoughts?

I think moving up in the draft is only a mistake in certain situations. If we draft a bust obviously a mistake. If we jump up high when equal talent would fall into a much better range or to #12. If the lower rated prospects could have great careers. 

Unfortunately we don't have hindsight and teams are going to jump to get QBs. The Jets jumped to #3 already if you need any proof. I'm not in total disagreement but you phrase it so automatic. It wouldn't be a mistake if he scratches that ticket and he is a winner. Also I've seen teams start rookie QBs so you can't say it's automatic that a rookie is sitting. 

Second I think you put to much faith in AJMcCarron. Your automatic again. New OC and a new team. No big names on offense besides shady. Your expecting him to weave straw into gold, I see it as another Tyrod experiment. We didn't get lucky he was very available. I just hope AJ isn't so terrible it starts to make me wonder how Peterman has been lately.

I think trading down is an option if the Draft goes completely against the plan. I would rather the guy plan for the future then force things out of desperation. I don't see the point of getting to #12 to trade back...

Now I have a question. Do you think the GM can't identity QBs or do you not like the QBs in the draft?

Edited by Lfod

6 hours ago, BuffaninATL said:

with all due respect, is this an attempt at humor/sarcasm? I ask this sincerely. Your first paragraph reeks of the classic Buffalo inferiority complex....Patriot fans make fun of your team? Do they beat you up and steal your lunchbox too? 7-9 and 8-8 seasons, year in and year out, allow you to feel good?  I almost feel sorry for this take, it is so self-loathing.

Since when is a 7-9 season a bigger priority than finding a potential franchise QB? If we are successful in our pursuit, we then turn our attention to filling holes through remaining picks and FA, especially FA next year. I believe an overwhelming majority of TBD members could swallow a poor season if we were to get the QB conundrum solved. Success, and wins, will follow. 

If you truly were trying to be funny/sarcastic, then I stand corrected and you have my apology. But if not, this is a sheer embarrassment.

Sounds to me like you are too young to remember the Dick Jauron era.

Those seasons, while not considered "successful", were calm, even serene, days. Keep it steady. Winning championships is nice (from what I hear), but I'm just glad to have a parking lot to drink beer and cook hot dogs in, while I wear my Josh Reed jersey and talk NFL with my Bills buddies.

9 hours ago, OJABBA said:

Sounds to me like you are too young to remember the Dick Jauron era.

Those seasons, while not considered "successful", were calm, even serene, days. Keep it steady. Winning championships is nice (from what I hear), but I'm just glad to have a parking lot to drink beer and cook hot dogs in, while I wear my Josh Reed jersey and talk NFL with my Bills buddies.

no, I sure do remember the Dick Jauron era. Sheer vanilla boredom. If calm/serenity & keeping it steady are your top priorities, then that's great. For me, personally, I don't get much satisfaction from 8-8, 7-9 seasons of mediocrity. I just don't get it. Why can't you have both: a winning team with playoff/championship behavior while having your beer/hot dogs AND wearing your Josh Reed jersey?

On 4/11/2018 at 10:00 PM, Lfod said:

I think moving up in the draft is only a mistake in certain situations. If we draft a bust obviously a mistake. If we jump up high when equal talent would fall into a much better range or to #12. If the lower rated prospects could have great careers. 

Unfortunately we don't have hindsight and teams are going to jump to get QBs. The Jets jumped to #3 already if you need any proof. I'm not in total disagreement but you phrase it so automatic. It wouldn't be a mistake if he scratches that ticket and he is a winner. Also I've seen teams start rookie QBs so you can't say it's automatic that a rookie is sitting. 

Second I think you put to much faith in AJMcCarron. Your automatic again. New OC and a new team. No big names on offense besides shady. Your expecting him to weave straw into gold, I see it as another Tyrod experiment. We didn't get lucky he was very available. I just hope AJ isn't so terrible it starts to make me wonder how Peterman has been lately.

I think trading down is an option if the Draft goes completely against the plan. I would rather the guy plan for the future then force things out of desperation. I don't see the point of getting to #12 to trade back...

Now I have a question. Do you think the GM can't identity QBs or do you not like the QBs in the draft?

I don't think that the GM would have a problem identifying a QB that could potentially be that all elusive franchise guy however at what price? As you pointed out, Buffalo has numerous holes to fill (any quarterback that is chosen will have the same problem with new OC and new team) and it is kind of hard to do that if you give up the house on one guy. Besides, maybe he knows more about AJMcCarron than we do and has already "identified his quarterback". (Wont really know until we get to see him play.)

BTW, I am not attempting to be "automatic" as you put it just offering up an alternative way at looking at things is all.