Don’t bet the farm on at the QB roulette table

VTBills

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are too afraid to swing at the ball you will never hit it.  If you are not going up to the plate to swing the bat then stay on the bench and spit out your pumpkin seeds. What's worse then failing is not trying. 

Just to play the advocate, there are some balls you shouldn't chase anyways because not all of them are hittable.  But I agree, step to the plate, and swing away at YOUR PITCH.  Don't swing at any and every pitch.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I want to find out how many more ways the risk adverse crew wants to take lesser prospects.

They forget the quality over quantity.

Some are risk averse, but there is also the matter of the real world.

Browns - QB

Giants -QB .  5% chance of trade and 0% chance of moving to 12.

Jets - QB

Browns - They have a million picks already.  Why pass up Chubb or Barkley? Slim at best.

Broncos - If Barkley is there they don't trade and they select him or a QB.

Colts - Emphatically stated they do not want out of top 10.

Bucs- The first realistic chance and it would be the 4th QB......maybe.

Risk averse or risk willing, reality says Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa is all you'll be able to say after draft night.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Browns - QB

Jets - QB

Browns - They have a million picks already.  Why pass up Chubb or Barkley? Slim at best.

Risk averse or risk willing, reality says Whaaaaaaaaaaaaa is all you'll be able to say after draft night.

Yeah because that is what the OP said right....  OOO Wait no he didn't.

Cool I am so glad so many here just love having **** at the QB position.

6 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

Just to play the advocate, there are some balls you shouldn't chase anyways because not all of them are hittable.  But I agree, step to the plate, and swing away at YOUR PITCH.  Don't swing at any and every pitch.

Over the years the Bills have had plenty of opportunities to draft a reasonable qb prospect. And not all of the opportunities were in the first round. You do your due diligence and within reason take action. No one is suggesting that the Bills should do anything crazy and act for the sake of acting. The Bills have placed themselves in a good position for this draft. If not now then when? 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Over the years the Bills have had plenty of opportunities to draft a reasonable qb prospect. And not all of the opportunities were in the first round. You do your due diligence and within reason take action. No one is suggesting that the Bills should do anything crazy and act for the sake of acting. The Bills have placed themselves in a good position for this draft. If not now then when? 

We actually agree.  Take the shot now.

13 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Browns - QB

Jets - QB

All I hear is "whaaaaaaa, it was too hard for Beane to orchestrate a trade that would accommodate the Colts needs"

Revisionist history.

I hope it isn't forgotten that the Jets beat us to the punch the day after Beane had a press conference saying he hasn't looked closely at the QB prospects yet. For the record, I don't believe him about that, but its just a bad look all around when you have fans like this saying it was impossible to move up.

Edited by What a Tuel

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

OK shall we continue.  Chiefs

Rams went away from a second Tier Prospect to and traded up for Goff.

What about the Chiefs?   Mahomes hasn't proven anything yet. 

Goff sucked as a rookie.  He had an excellent sophomore year but if he fails to continue to progress, he certainly won't be the first or last first round QB to do so.

What happens if Mahomes or Goff or both turn out to be busts?  Worse yet, what if one or both turn out to be an Alex Smith or Jay Cutler or Blake Bortles -- "second tier QBs"?  

Given that first round QBs taken in the top ten other than the #1 consensus pick have only about 50% chance of even being a successful "second tier QB", giving up multiple first rounders and other picks to move into the top ten is reckless.  If the QB turns out to be an Eli Manning, then the cost is forgiven.  If the QB turns out to be a Mark Sanchez ...

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah because that is what the OP said right....  OOO Wait no he didn't.

Cool I am so glad so many here just love having **** at the QB position.

Whaaaaaaaaaah

The OP is risk averse and entitled to his opinion.  You are entitled as well.  But over and over you keep saying if we don't get a "top QB" that Beane has made a mistake.  Reality is that there simply isn't a realistic opportunity at all. Denying reality = Whaaaaaaaaah

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SoTier said:

What about the Chiefs?   Mahomes hasn't proven anything yet. 

Goff sucked as a rookie.  He had an excellent sophomore year but if he fails to continue to progress, he certainly won't be the first or last first round QB to do so.

What happens if Mahomes or Goff or both turn out to be busts?  Worse yet, what if one or both turn out to be an Alex Smith or Jay Cutler or Blake Bortles -- "second tier QBs"?  

Given that first round QBs taken in the top ten other than the #1 consensus pick have only about 50% chance of even being a successful "second tier QB", giving up multiple first rounders and other picks to move into the top ten is reckless.  If the QB turns out to be an Eli Manning, then the cost is forgiven.  If the QB turns out to be a Mark Sanchez ...

I hear you.  But we can't be afraid to take a shot just because something didn't work out for ANOTHER TEAM.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Whaaaaaaaaaah

The OP is risk averse and entitled to his opinion.  You are entitled as well.  But over and over you keep saying if we don't get a "top QB" that Beane has made a mistake.  Reality is that there simply isn't a realistic opportunity at all. Denying reality = Whaaaaaaaaah

Well Saying over and over again we have to many holes and we shouldn't try is WHAAAAAAAhhh so people post stupid threads they get that response about NOT Swinging.  But hey I got it you like **** QB Play.

5 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

All I hear is "whaaaaaaa, it was too hard for Beane to orchestrate a trade that would accommodate the Colts needs"

Revisionist history.

I hope it isn't forgotten that the Jets beat us to the punch the day after Beane had a press conference saying he hasn't looked closely at the QB prospects yet. For the record, I don't believe him about that, but its just a bad look all around when you have fans like this saying it was impossible to move up.

Lol.  If you believe Beane hasn't been looking closely at QB prospects since 5 minutes aft he got here I don't know what to say.

The Colts, knowing the Jets want a QB effectively moved below only the Browns and Broncos.  Two spots for three second round picks.  With the Bills the effective cost would have been 8 spots.  Beat us to the punch lololololololol.  Be realistic.

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Well Saying over and over again we have to many holes and we shouldn't try is WHAAAAAAAhhh so people post stupid threads they get that response about NOT Swinging.  But hey I got it you like **** QB Play.

Never said we shouldn't try.  I'm just realistic about the chances while you're whining illogically.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, VTBills said:

There are too many holes on the roster to give three 1st rounders or whatever for one of the top four.   If you swing and miss on one of these flawed prospects you set the franchise back years IMO.  Build both lines, get some LBs, add WR depth and make your bet with 12 or 22 on a Jackson or Rudolph or other 2nd tier QB.   If Beanie swings for the fences and misses on a QB this year his GM tenure will be short.  Better to go for singles and doubles. Build the roster around your QB gamble then swing for the fences when you have the cap space to mitigate a mistake.   

*sigh* Another vote for continued mediocrity. Not for nothing but sometimes players you take in the first round who aren't QB's end up being a bust. You get what you pay for in life. You can either go to Vegas and take your shot at the bigs or you can stick to Monte Carlo nights at the local VFW post and, if you are lucky, win a basket of fruit. In Vegas, you at least have a chance to get it right. The NFL is no place for small time, cheap skate thinking. 

3 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol.  If you believe Beane hasn't been looking closely at QB prospects since 5 minutes aft he got here I don't know what to say.

The Colts, knowing the Jets want a QB effectively moved below only the Browns and Broncos.  Two spots for three second round picks.  With the Bills the effective cost would have been 8 spots.  Beat us to the punch lololololololol.  Be realistic.

Never said we shouldn't try.  I'm just realistic about the chances while you're whining illogically.  

Nope telling a person that thinks we should just sit and fill holes that we have tried that for how long and it hasn't worked is whining illogically.  I guess I am not sure what world you like in.  More than enough data points otherwise. 

34 minutes ago, JohnC said:

If you are too afraid to swing at the ball you will never hit it.  If you are not going up to the plate to swing the bat then stay on the bench and spit out your pumpkin seeds. What's worse then failing is not trying. 

Oh but this sounds so cliche. Sorry it does.

5 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yeah, there was absolutely no way in the history of NFL trades that we could have made that work for the Colts. :rolleyes: Its only impossible to you because it didn't happen that way.