Why Doesn't Any Writer Give Us an Overview of The Draft Soap Opera?

I am trying to follow and make sense of all the different reports and leaks coming out of front offices across the league. Of course I can't because I don't have the time or experience.

Let me explain what I mean.

Why would any front office run right out and tell a reporter who they are targeting? Wouldn't that be crazy in any spot besides #1 overall? But we get those reports.

Or the report on the board right now where the Bucs Gm has to run right out and blab that they have been contacted about a trade back, and then apparently blab some more that it was the Bills?

I would not be very happy about that if I was Brandon Beane.

Is any of this stuff true? Does it all make sense to anyone? Or is everybody just reporting a pack of lies designed to deceive?

This would make a fascinating series of articles.

Why isn't anybody doing it? Or is someone taking an overview and explaining what the think everyone is up to, and I just don't know about it?

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Believe nothing. Even if teams had talks, we have zero idea whether they were sincerely interested, just curious, or designed to deceive. Believe nothing. 

Exactly. I do as you say I believe nothing.

But somebody should be able to guess at what teams are up to with what lie, based on their needs and past actions of that Gm and stuff. It would be fun to have someone explain what might be happening and why.

Then again maybe no one can make any sense of it at all!

1 minute ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Exactly. I do as you say I believe nothing.

But somebody should be able to guess at what teams are up to with what lie, based on their needs and past actions of that Gm and stuff. It would be fun to have someone explain what might be happening and why.

Then again maybe no one can make any sense of it at all!

I could explain it to you.

Believing me would be a mistake.  :)

• Haha (+1) 1

Nobody is widely reporting such supposed contacts and team interests or happenings, partially as it is impossible to sift fact from fiction or get excited from such reports, when either the media knows teams can or say things to throw persons off track, or when so many teams are showing genuine interest in the same players. In ofher words, there is no real news, until the real things are shown to happen, like a signing or trade, or until something happens involving just one team, or that is not expected.. Everything is just either a lie, partial truth, or news that does not generate much thrill otherwise. Much of the media people want to invest their time , energy and efforts into finding first the unusual scoop or huge news story, and not report on trivial stuff, or stuff that cannot be coroborated, or that may lead to nowhere, as they know gms and owners, and coaches refuse to talk, or say much of anything. It all is a game. The media knows that, as they often love playing cat chase the mouse, lr hide n seek games, too.

30 minutes ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

I am trying to follow and make sense of all the different reports and leaks coming out of front offices across the league. Of course I can't because I don't have the time or experience.

Why would any front office run right out and tell a reporter who they are targeting? Wouldn't that be crazy in any spot besides #1 overall? But we get those reports.

Or the report on the board right now where the Bucs Gm has to run right out and blab that they have been contacted about a trade back, and then apparently blab some more that it was the Bills?

Is any of this stuff true? Does it all make sense to anyone? Or is everybody just reporting a pack of lies designed to deceive?

Why isn't anybody doing it? Or is someone taking an overview and explaining what the think everyone is up to, and I just don't know about it?

Have you seen that incarcerated Bob guy?

To a tee....

I'm 98% sure Licht never said it was the Bills who contacted him, it was just some crackpot on twitter trying to connect dots and make a name for himself.

That's where a huge portion of these rumors come from, amateur "analysts" who spam twitter with content in hopes their name gets picked up in a ESPN report.

As for the type of reporting you are looking for, it just doesn't happen before the draft.  Often times after news breaks, reporters put together a story about how it came together, especially for big trades in the draft.  But the reason you aren't seeing credible people say too much is because people like Schefter and Rapoport actually care a lot about their credibility, they aren't going to blow teams up because it would irreparably harm their relationships.

Edited by Chuck Wagon

I think you should be asking "Why Does Every Writer Give us An Overview of The Draft Soap Opera?"

It's the utter brilliance of the NFL. They took what we all know is a crap shoot (QB or not...Dion Jordan anyone?) and turned it into must-see-TV with a months long build up. How they've managed to keep the NFL in the collective conscience year round is impressive. 

7 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

I think you should be asking "Why Does Every Writer Give us An Overview of The Draft Soap Opera?"

It's the utter brilliance of the NFL. They took what we all know is a crap shoot (QB or not...Dion Jordan anyone?) and turned it into must-see-TV with a months long build up. How they've managed to keep the NFL in the collective conscience year round is impressive. 

HOPE springs eternal! 

I bet the Bills fans care more than the Pats* fans. 

1 hour ago, BadLandsMeanie said:

Because it's an impossible task and people just make stuff up. You see how many stories are posted about the Bills, add 31 other teams to that mix.

Edited by downunderbill

I'm just checking in frequently for the big news. Bills move to #12 is big news. The Jets move to #3 that's big news. Thats the news I'm interested in.

The rest is speculating and hypothetical guessing. Fun to read but not something I put a lot of value on. Bring on the draft, let's just see what happens and write about it after.