Are We a Playoff Team with A.J. ?

10 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Yes to McCarron, already a 2 time NCAA champ, already kept Cincy in a playoff race and almost won the playoff game. 

Yes Bills draft Falk and Lauletta to compete as backup with Peterman. 

On March 12, 2015, Taylor signed a three-year, $3.35 million contract with the Buffalo Bills. He was signed to be the starter. McCarron, 2 years for 10 million and people calling him a backup. He signed the type of contract that a QB with 4 games experience in NFL get that is expected to become the starter. That is not a bad payday. When he does succeed Buffalo will have new contract in hand.

Same can be said for any QB drafted. At least McCarron hs 36-4 record, 2 Championships, 2-1 NFL record with a playoff start he almost won and 4 NFL training camps.

A 2-1 NFL record might as well be meaningless. Stop grasping at thin air.

On 3/29/2018 at 8:39 AM, Looper said:

Assuming we don't get one of the big 4 QBs, are we a playoff team with A.J. ? Or are we the 2017 Browns and the #1 seed to get Drew Luck, Jacob Eason, or Jarrett Stidham next year ? 

Is it worth even using a draft pick on Rudolph or Jackson ? 

If the season started today, NO.  Even with what we did in free agency, I'd say a hard no.  We need upgrades at WR, two linebacker spots, RG and RT, and another CB.  TE (pass catching) is also an area that could use talent given Clay's tendency to be unavailable for at least two to three games.

No we are not the 2017 Browns frankly because the Jets and Dolphins are in a similar situation that we are in so that helps us in divisional games.  The 2017 Browns situation was so unique to the Browns, just like the 2016 Browns situation, the 2015 ehhh you get the picture.

I'm not sure.  They both have some tools to work with.  I certainly think if you are an OC you're going to have to design an offense that caters to each guys strengths.  I don't think the Dennison approach of, "this is what I run" is going to be in the best interests of either player.  I think you have to sorta sneak, "the stuff that I run" in here and there until they can execute well on a lot of "stuff that I run."  I'd say the same thing for Allen and maybe for Mayfield too.  Rosen, I think, can play in any of the three systems that dominate the NFL (

EP, WC, AC).

I think it's possible for a team with McCarron as the QB to be a playoff team. I do not think Buffalo is that team though; at least not now. I expect them to take a pretty significant step backwards this year honestly.

• Like (+1) 1

i'm more optimistic than most as far as a.j. goes. i believe he can be better than keenum and has some phillip rivers abilities as well. he may have had stats as far as 200 yd. games,but that's typical game planning when a backup comes in. now, he's the starter and i fully expect him of being capable of 300 yd. games and have the ability to make 4th qtr. drives and put the team on his back a bit.

i also think nathan peterman will develop to be much more than we have seen. i realize we lost preston, wood, gaines,

maybe matthews, but i do not see this team taking a step back. we were 9-7 thanks to our defense. how many games did we have with under 7 points?...including the playoffs?  those days are over!

i would love mayfield, but chances are good we end up with rudolph and i think it will turn out that we have a very respectable lineup at qb. another thing is having dabol. he believes in game planning week to week against each individual opponent.

who else does that? bill b.  this guy knows how to win.

last year the big talk was how daunting the schedule was...and we made it. i am looking for big strides this year,especially in terms of offensive production, but also double the sack numbers. i believe we will start seeing some actual nfl play this year.

i'm psyched and trusting the process. we are going to get some good players in this draft!

16 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

FTR - I was referring to 2017.  

You found 3 instances where he did it over 3 full seasons 

Where the ones where he didn’t?? 

For example - the Thompson play where Thompson was wide open  - and with a catch a TD could have been had?

FYI : Taylor had Watkins and Woods on the field only fifteen games over two years. 

When he did? 63.6% comp. 8.25 Ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 Ints

A lot more than three instances, huh?

7 minutes ago, grb said:

FYI : Taylor had Watkins and Woods on the field only fifteen games over two years. 

When he did? 63.6% comp. 8.25 Ypa. 27 TD passes. 6 Ints

A lot more than three instances, huh?

Did you not read the thread or follow the timeline

Tyrod Taylor in 2017.   

Tyrod Taylor regressed to the point where McDermott and Beane pulled the plug when they got the opportunity to NOT overspend on a QB.  

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tyrod Taylor in 2017.   

Tyrod Taylor regressed to the point where McDermott and Beane pulled the plug when they got the opportunity to NOT overspend on a QB.  

You just don't get it, do you? Yeah; Taylor regressed - after the team dumped Hogan, dumped Gillislee, watched Percy & Karlos self-destruct, dumped Watkins, dumped Woods, dumped Goodwin, scared away Boldin, and perversely sabotaged their own league-leading running game by scheme change.

But given that's all water over the dam, I'm here to give you the Good News, and the Bad News:

Good News : Taylor is gone. But that's not because he was the worstest quarterback ever to exist in the known universe (or whatever grumpy shtick you're selling these days), but because the Bills will now finally get serious about building a team on the offense side of the ball. I saw a mock that had the team trade-up for their golden-boy qb, and immediately use a first round pick on a receiver. "Having got their quarterback", the mock intoned, "they want to make sure they don't set him up to fail". Well, guess what : The Bills didn't give the slightest trace of a damn if they set Taylor up to fail in '17. They were too busy stockpiling draft picks to replace him. The reason they traded his top target for a gimpy Eagles throw-away wasn't because SW was "too into his statistics", it was for a second round pick. The only reason they traded for Benjamin mid-season was they unexpectedly found themselves in the playoff hunt and decided to do something - almost against their will it seemed. But post-Draft-Day, the team will have their "future" in a shinny new quarterback. Suddenly they'll care if the o-line can't pass protect worth a damn. Suddenly they'll realize McCoy needs more help than gawdforsaken Tolbert. Suddenly they'll want a starting tight end who can actually practice. And suddenly they look for better receivers than cripples, cast-offs, and a rook who resembles the deer in the headlights. That's the good thing about the "future" - you actually want to invest in it.

Bad News : Taylor is gone, but I guarantee the Great Tyrod Message Board War will continue on this battlefield. And, dude, don't be surprised if you find it bruising......

Edited by grb

14 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

No.   It’s you that doesn’t get it.  

Tyrod Taylor was not good enough. 

Period end of discussion. 

Signed,

Mr’s McDermott & Beane

I don't think they get the last word........

Buffalo's receivers did not mystically repulse the football into the dirt.  Bad receivers are not open as often as good ones, but when they did get open it was all on TT to get the ball on-target, something he failed at regularly, more frequently the longer the throw.  I think we all remember the end of the Carolina game.  How many balls underthrown?  How many in the dirt.  And, of course, that's when he even saw the open receiver and threw to him.  Yes, the Bills' receiver corp was subpar, but that does not excuse TT's lack of vision and downfield accuracy.

AJ, if he plays, should push the ball downfield more, even with the same set of receivers.  Which, in turn, should spread the defense, giving McCoy a chance to run into something other then a brick wall resulting from a stacked defense.

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

AJ, if he plays, should push the ball downfield more, even with the same set of receivers.  Which, in turn, should spread the defense, giving McCoy a chance to run into something other then a brick wall resulting from a stacked defense.

Amen  ? brother 

4 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Tyrod Taylor in 2017.   

So Taylor has three head coaches in three years, three OC's.....he spends his own money to train with his WR corps only to have them get rid of those players.  They bring in WR's that get hurt.   Not saying Taylor's a world beater but the obstacles that were put in his way didn't help matters at all.  Regarding another thread where a fan talked to Harvin......sounds like Percy saw what I saw....trying to pound a square peg into a round hole.  What happened to the roll outs...getting Taylor in space and throwing on the run (trying to maximize his strengths)?  Before you bash me too.....I do think the Bills need to draft a QB this year that will hopefully develop into a star.  But to lay the woes of this team's offense at Taylor's feet is moronic.