Kickoffs in the NFL Could Soon Be a Thing of the Past

What percentage of them come on kickoffs?  

The opening kickoff is such a mainstay of the game. It’s the opening pitch, the face off, and tip off.  

I just cant imagine football without it 

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Let's hope this is the start to getting did of all special teams.

It is a fantastic part of the game. get rid of it and this game takes another gigantic step backwards in entertianment value.

3 minutes ago, MJS said:

Let's just go to two hand touch. The writing is on the wall.

Just another part of the beginning of the end of the NFL as you currently know it. I honestly think that in 30 to 40 years you won't recognize the game at all -- if it even exists anymore. 

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I still hate the fact that they moved the kickoff up 5 yds. basically rendering the dang thing obsolete anyways.

Not really.  Plenty of teams kick high and short of the goal line knowing there's a good chance the KOR won't make it to the 25. 

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Not really.  Plenty of teams kick high and short of the goal line knowing there's a good chance the KOR won't make it to the 25. 

I just mean from a scoring and return stand point.... I would love to see the numbers of kicks being returned for tds since the rule change as opposed to before that.

rarely do you fear a return anymore no matter who is back there fielding it. that wasn't the case years ago.... I get it. I understand why they did it...... but I hate it.

4 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

As if kickoffs matter anymore.

People need to stop complaining. They’re only really useful if an onside is needed.

well ya.... becuz they screwed with them in the first place and moved the kicker up 5 yds.... so theres really nothing to see there anymore.

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Stank_Nasty said:

I just mean from a scoring and return stand point.... I would love to see the numbers of kicks being returned for tds since the rule change as opposed to before that.

rarely do you fear a return anymore no matter who is back there fielding it. that did used to be the case. I get it. I understand why they did it...... but I hate it.

It is a lot less exciting, but it's purely for injury considerations as you well know.