Making the case for Lamar Jackson

502Buffs

9 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Yes, there is.

What's with the ridiculous new trend on this board of just copying and pasting song lyrics and changing 2 or 3 words thinking it's really clever?

Has there been an inundation of junior high kids on this board no one told me about? :huh:

It requires minimal effort from a poster that provides no value to the board

but hey....carry on

I'm not just questioning his football IQ I am questioning his overall IQ not having proper representation. His mother is killing his draft stock he needed to run the 40 and show people what they supposedly already know, he is fast but how fast. His wonderlic score isn't doing him any favors and this fiasco could make him a late first possibly second round QB.

7 minutes ago, buffalobloodfloridahome said:

I'm not just questioning his football IQ I am questioning his overall IQ not having proper representation. His mother is killing his draft stock he needed to run the 40 and show people what they supposedly already know, he is fast but how fast. His wonderlic score isn't doing him any favors and this fiasco could make him a late first possibly second round QB.

I think his Mom is the perfect representation for Jackson. Being that close to his Mom shows teams that he's a decent and grounded individual. He does have a lawyer to work through the rookie contract details.

BTW, since it's now known the Browns are looking at him, there is no doubt Jackson's going top 15. Because the Browns would obviously take him if they were to trade back with the Bills or someone else in the top 15 range. If he slid, the Bills, Cardinals or Chargers would take him unless a team like the Steelers jumped up ahead of them all.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

Playing QB in the NFL is about making good decisions, and executing those decisions.  

I have no doubt Jackson has the arm and legs to play in the NFL.  Although if he runs too much, those legs will be injured.  He doesnt have a core like Rothelesberger (?sp).

His decision making worries me.  A lot.

He played in the one read and run system.  Scan half the field, if the guys open, great, if not, then run.

And he is his own agent?  And mom is his manager?  

These may turn out to be really wise decisions.  But history says no.

This guy doesnt make good decisions.

Coupled with an abysmal Wonderlic score....

Pass.

You don't like Jackson as a prospect, fair enough....but please for all that is football holy, stop with the false narratives about Jackson. He played in a Pro Style Offense, the only other person to do that more than he did was Josh Rosen - as far as the top 5 QBs - and he was not a ONE READ QB!!! The same Offense that the Patriots, and like it or not most likely the Bills, will use this upcoming year - Jackson ran with proficiency at Louisville. For the love of God people, stop clinging to false claims just because you don't like that he looks like Tyrod. 

I was NOT a Jackson supporter until late November into December when I stopped taking one look at "stats" or taking the general statements about him to be factual and started doing my own research and depending on the likes of those who know far more than I do but had video and breakdowns to support the fact that in his final season Jackson was a POCKET PASSER and had a complicated Offense to learn and manipulate. Does he need to work on his footwork mechanics? YES! This has been well-supported, but Jackson is a pocket passer with tremendous potential. 

As for his decisions about not using an agent, I'm fine with it....he wants to save a little bit of money on what is essentially a pre-determined contract - that's cool. He's a Heisman trophy winner with an incredible work ethic, and wants his first contract to be mostly his....good God, can you blame him? The next contract will be far more complicated and intricate and he will need an agent at that point, but for now - I applaud his decision to go contrary to what everyone else thinks and is making his own decisions.

Also, why would you knock a guy who's allowing his mother who has consistently been his biggest supporter and his strongest critic to represent him instead of some money-grubbing agent who won't be able to change much of anything in his first contract? His mom has his best interests at heart and if you read about his history from high school to college, you'll see just how instrumental she was and is in his development. Dude should be getting more credit for this....I want a leader who will listen to others, but choose his own path based on his personal convictions and not be swayed by popular opinion.

For God's sake, Baker Mayfield is getting a statue of himself being built in Buffalo for having the "leadership" qualities because he's competitive and yet has made some questionable decisions off the field related to juvenile stupidity and Frat Brother antics, but Lamar Jackson makes the mature decision to listen to his mother, the woman who has nurtured his career from the start, and eschew the influence of an agent so he can keep more money in his pocket and facing the criticism square on and some here want to question his "decision making ability".....wow....hypocrisy much? 

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Jesus people are really just being so dismissive of Jackson as stupid right now.

I think it's being lazy.

First of all, the QB order I want is Mayfield THEN Darnold THEN Rosen (though skeptically) THEN Jackson. If we get one of those first 3, I think Bills fans will generally be very peaceful for awhile with regard to QB discussion. I want any of those 3 guys before Jackson, ESPECIALLY Mayfield. But I'll be happy with Jackson.

Unfortunately, if we draft Jackson, apparently all hell is going to break loose as I feel like things will just devolve into factions again.

I get it, a 13 on the wonderlic means he's dumb as rocks. It's that simple for some folks.

Have you looked at that test? Have you taken it?

Here, take it https://footballiqscore.com/

I can understand the reasoning for measuring a QB's cognitive ability as far as processing football plays in a timely manner. What I cannot understand are how 50 question that have to do with analogies, puzzles and mathematical equations in 12 minutes equates to football success.

I just looked at the test, hit start and tried it for the first time at work 'cause I had a free 12 minutes. I got a 22. I also got an 1130 on my SATs.

Whatever those numbers are or how people view those numbers, I don't view those numbers as measurements of my intelligence because, frankly, I'm a bad test taker. (Or I view myself as one as, at the very least, I'm self-aware enough to realize that just comes off as an excuse). But as far as "bad test-takers," some people are. I also suck at math and am at least 15 years removed from doing any real math at this point in my life. I'm sure I could score higher than that 22 if I separated myself from all the distractions at work and really focused rather than just deciding to throw 12 minutes at 50 questions for fun. But I already took that test and now I'm tied to that 22 because maybe I didn't take it as seriously as I should have or maybe I didn't understand the appropriate test taking strategy for this test was to just skip any question I get caught on so I can answer as many correctly as possible.

All tests are different.

I understand that Lamar Jackson doesn't talk the way we think of "face-of-the-franchise QBs" talk. He's not articulate or outspoken the way we think a QB should be. But that doesn't mean he's not smart in his own way or smart enough to play QB. And it certainly doesn't mean his teammates wouldn't follow him as a leader.

Dude is an unbelievably talented playmaker. And he's absolutely light years already as a passer ahead of the last guy we had who seemed to completely divide Bills fans.

Is he stupid? I don't think so. In fact, there are many accounts anecdotally of the guy having everything it takes in terms of processing and work ethic to be a successful passing QB in the NFL.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nfl-draft/evaluating-and-grading-top-qbs-in-2018-nfl-draft/
Mental Processing

Jackson: This is a strength for Jackson. He does a good job deciphering coverages and moving underneath defenders with his eyes based on things he saw before and after the snap. His work ethic has allowed for significant improvement in this area, but there are still times where he gets a little frazzled and doesn’t move through progressions cleanly. Generally speaking, Jackson does a good job working high to low and getting the ball out as needed.

Personally, Jackson isn't my 1st choice.  Or my 2nd.  Or my 3rd.  But if we don't trade up in the draft (which I still think we will) and we end up with Jackson while keeping all the rest of our picks, that might be a damn good consolation prize  :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

On 4/2/2018 at 6:54 PM, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

<Chris De Burgh's "Lady in Red" starts to play.  John from Riverside grabs the microphone>

I've never seen you looking so lovely as you did tonight
I've never seen you shine so bright
I've never seen so many men ask you if you wanted to dance
They're looking for a little romance, given half a chance
And I have never seen that uni you're wearing
Or the highlights in your hair that catch your eyes
I have been blind
Lamar Jackson is dancing with me, cheek to cheek
There's nobody here, it's just you and me
It's where I want to be
But I hardly know this beauty by my side
I'll never forget the way you look tonight
I've never seen you looking so gorgeous as you did tonight
I've never seen you shine so bright, you were amazing
I've never seen so many people want to be there by your side
And when you turned to me and smiled, it took my breath away
And I have never had such a feeling
Such a feeling of complete and utter love, as I do tonight
Lamar Jackson is dancing with me, cheek to cheek
There's nobody here, it's just you and me
It's where I want to be
But I hardly know this beauty by my side
I'll never forget the way you look tonight
I never will forget the way you look tonight
Lamar Jackson, Lamar Jackson
Lamar Jackson, my Lamar Jackson
I love you

Please go away. 

I'm starting to think there's a typo in your name "Buffalo Bills Detective". 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jackson is the only QB of the top 6 that I would be surprised if the Bills ended up drafting. Jackson does not seem to be a fit for what the Bills are looking for in a long-term frachise quarterback (Bills have talked about size, drop back passing league, moved on from Tyrod etc.). A team will draft Jackson high because he is talented but I just don't see it being the Bills. 

I would not trash the pick of Jackson if it were to happen because the Bills management has my trust at this point. Plus, the kid has some tremendous ability and it is possible he could develop into a top qb. However, I have serious concerns about Jackson's ability to develop at the NFL level. I was immediately concerned about his mental capabilities when watching him in interviews (it's clear he is less than impressive as a speaker). More importantly there have been rumors that Jackson has been less than impressive in interviews and on the white board. Again this does not surprise me for 2 reasons. First, as mentioned he was not impressive in his public interviews so it stands to reason he would likely not impress in private. Second, not having proper representation has probably hurt him most in this area. Agents (especially with qbs that can go in the first round) spend a ton of time preparing their clients with mock interviews and reviewing their game tape. The agents give the qbs background information on the organizations they are meeting with making them better prepared. It is all part of the draft process for top qbs. Also, the leak of his wonderlic score only heightened my concern about Jackson's ability to learn an NFL playbook (like a foreign language). And the best NFL qbs are able to digest new parts of the playbook each week as they scheme against specific opponents. If you want an example of the above watch Jackson's interview with Mike Mayock after his pro day. Specifically, watch the portion when they start to talk favorite plays and routes. Then watch Mason Rudolph's white board session with Steve Mariucci. Jackson was not awful but there is a big gap between the two.

If Jackson did not have 4.3 speed and Antonio Brown like elusiveness, it is clear he would have trouble getting drafted. But good thing for Jackson is that he has that great ability to run away and make players miss. Jackson does not have to read coverage as quickly or even have the depth of knowledge of a playbook that say a Mason Rudolph will need. Because Jackson has the ability to still make a play even if he misses a read and guys like Rudolph and Rosen have to be on point all the time or they will be sacked. But like Tyrod, Jackson's mobility can be a positive and negative. There are teams that will match up well with Jackson's abilities and be able to force him to stay in the pocket. And that is where he will likely struggle. I envision Jackson as a boom and bust player. At the start of his career he will have some big games and bad games depending on how defenses are able to match up and whether they stay discplined. The key will be can he develop his in the pocket passing over time. That will be the only way Jackson will be able to get over the hump and become a consistent top performer at the position. That part will take time and I just don't see our organization looking to go that route. But there will be teams like the Cardinals or Chargers who might be a better fit. 

Edited by racketmaster

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

See... this is kinda what I was figuring the impact would be with the lack of an agent.  Agents are there to get you the rounds on NFL Network and pump you up publicly.  But NFL teams don't care about that.  That's why I'm wondering if NFL teams have actually loved this move by Jackson because it's making it easier for them to let him slide a few spots.

It'll be interesting if Jackson goes before Darnold, Rosen, Allen or Mayfield. 

On 4/3/2018 at 1:59 PM, BigBuff423 said:

You don't like Jackson as a prospect, fair enough....but please for all that is football holy, stop with the false narratives about Jackson. He played in a Pro Style Offense, the only other person to do that more than he did was Josh Rosen - as far as the top 5 QBs - and he was not a ONE READ QB!!! The same Offense that the Patriots, and like it or not most likely the Bills, will use this upcoming year - Jackson ran with proficiency at Louisville. For the love of God people, stop clinging to false claims just because you don't like that he looks like Tyrod. 

I was NOT a Jackson supporter until late November into December when I stopped taking one look at "stats" or taking the general statements about him to be factual and started doing my own research and depending on the likes of those who know far more than I do but had video and breakdowns to support the fact that in his final season Jackson was a POCKET PASSER and had a complicated Offense to learn and manipulate. Does he need to work on his footwork mechanics? YES! This has been well-supported, but Jackson is a pocket passer with tremendous potential. 

As for his decisions about not using an agent, I'm fine with it....he wants to save a little bit of money on what is essentially a pre-determined contract - that's cool. He's a Heisman trophy winner with an incredible work ethic, and wants his first contract to be mostly his....good God, can you blame him? The next contract will be far more complicated and intricate and he will need an agent at that point, but for now - I applaud his decision to go contrary to what everyone else thinks and is making his own decisions.

Also, why would you knock a guy who's allowing his mother who has consistently been his biggest supporter and his strongest critic to represent him instead of some money-grubbing agent who won't be able to change much of anything in his first contract? His mom has his best interests at heart and if you read about his history from high school to college, you'll see just how instrumental she was and is in his development. Dude should be getting more credit for this....I want a leader who will listen to others, but choose his own path based on his personal convictions and not be swayed by popular opinion.

For God's sake, Baker Mayfield is getting a statue of himself being built in Buffalo for having the "leadership" qualities because he's competitive and yet has made some questionable decisions off the field related to juvenile stupidity and Frat Brother antics, but Lamar Jackson makes the mature decision to listen to his mother, the woman who has nurtured his career from the start, and eschew the influence of an agent so he can keep more money in his pocket and facing the criticism square on and some here want to question his "decision making ability".....wow....hypocrisy much? 

6 hours ago, racketmaster said:

Jackson is the only QB of the top 6 that I would be surprised if the Bills ended up drafting. Jackson does not seem to be a fit for what the Bills are looking for in a long-term frachise quarterback (Bills have talked about size, drop back passing league, moved on from Tyrod etc.). A team will draft Jackson high because he is talented but I just don't see it being the Bills. 

I would not trash the pick of Jackson if it were to happen because the Bills management has my trust at this point. Plus, the kid has some tremendous ability and it is possible he could develop into a top qb. However, I have serious concerns about Jackson's ability to develop at the NFL level. I was immediately concerned about his mental capabilities when watching him in interviews (it's clear he is less than impressive as a speaker). More importantly there have been rumors that Jackson has been less than impressive in interviews and on the white board. Again this does not surprise me for 2 reasons. First, as mentioned he was not impressive in his public interviews so it stands to reason he would likely not impress in private. Second, not having proper representation has probably hurt him most in this area. Agents (especially with qbs that can go in the first round) spend a ton of time preparing their clients with mock interviews and reviewing their game tape. The agents give the qbs background information on the organizations they are meeting with making them better prepared. It is all part of the draft process for top qbs. Also, the leak of his wonderlic score only heightened my concern about Jackson's ability to learn an NFL playbook (like a foreign language). And the best NFL qbs are able to digest new parts of the playbook each week as they scheme against specific opponents. If you want an example of the above watch Jackson's interview with Mike Mayock after his pro day. Specifically, watch the portion when they start to talk favorite plays and routes. Then watch Mason Rudolph's white board session with Steve Mariucci. Jackson was not awful but there is a big gap between the two.

If Jackson did not have 4.3 speed and Antonio Brown like elusiveness, it is clear he would have trouble getting drafted. But good thing for Jackson is that he has that great ability to run away and make players miss. Jackson does not have to read coverage as quickly or even have the depth of knowledge of a playbook that say a Mason Rudolph will need. Because Jackson has the ability to still make a play even if he misses a read and guys like Rudolph and Rosen have to be on point all the time or they will be sacked. But like Tyrod, Jackson's mobility can be a positive and negative. There are teams that will match up well with Jackson's abilities and be able to force him to stay in the pocket. And that is where he will likely struggle. I envision Jackson as a boom and bust player. At the start of his career he will have some big games and bad games depending on how defenses are able to match up and whether they stay discplined. The key will be can he develop his in the pocket passing over time. That will be the only way Jackson will be able to get over the hump and become a consistent top performer at the position. That part will take time and I just don't see our organization looking to go that route. But there will be teams like the Cardinals or Chargers who might be a better fit. 

Please see above for response to this ^^^^ post.....:doh: