First Round QB Busts since 2000

28 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

He had one bad game where is was facing ferocious pressure. Need to improve the OL.

Digging out from the mess Whaley created. We were in cap hell. Time to reload with all the picks. A potential franchise QB will be there for us without changing our draft position. 

Picks 12 and 22 are not going to offer a blue chip QB spec.

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I happens. It is one of the most difficult positions in sports. It's hard to do physically and mentally. Colleges do not do a good job of preparing these kids, and generally they get drafted by teams that suck. Then they get thrown into the fire too quickly, develop terrible habits, and flame out. When there are only about 10-12 good quarterbacks in the NFL, it tells you how hard it is. 

But it is also about opportunity, fit, and coaching. How many of these guys started too soon for coaches who got fired?

I mean if Trent Edwards got drafted by New England he'd probably still be in the league. 

Steve Mariucci completely ruined both Giovanni Carmazzi and Joey Harrington. If Gio got drafted by New England in the sixth round, maybe history is quite different. 

If Mo Lewis doesn't blow up Drew Bledsoe's spleen, we probably never even hear of Brady. If San Diego doesn't move on from Brees, giving him to Sean Patyton, Brees' career is probably quite different.  

A lot of things have to go right, but first you have to have the talent. Once they are in your building it is on the organization and player to make it work. 

I agree...which is why you had better be sure before you give away all of your drafts picks. I hope we do NOT move up in the draft. There is no guarantee that any of the top 4 QBs will be the Franchise QB...I can guarantee that we will be in a much worse position talent wise if we give up all of our 1st and 2nd rounds picks to get one (poitential) savior who may not even contribute in 2018.

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

My brother is an Eagles fan.  For years, he felt the same way as many people on this board. 

He didn't want to see his team "overdraft" players, and was always worried about getting value from his picks.  He didn't believe a Quarterback could succeed without a fantastic O-Line in front of him, a great running game and receiving weapons all over the field.  So the best plan was always kicking the can down the road, until the rest of the roster was set.  Being a big NCAA fan, every QB prospect that popped up was also loaded with flaws.  There was always a better option "next year."

He just about lost his mind when the Eagles MORTGAGED THEIR FUTURE to move up for Carson Wentz.  He was depressed and wondered how a rookie QB could ever succeed with the "crappy roster" and "bad defense" around him.

Wentz wasn't even half-way through his rookie season before my brother completely changed his tune.  He told me that he could IMMEDIATELY see the difference in what Wentz brought to the table, even as a raw/inexperienced player.  Keep in mind that my brother watched Pro Bowler Donovan McNabb for years.  And when Nick Foles was playing fantastic, my brother was always convinced he was a "system quarterback."  But in less than 8 games, he immediately knew that Wentz was going to transform their franchise.  And only a year later, the Eagles were hoisting their first Lombardi trophy.

I could understand that but lets be realistic when we are talking about Wentz compared to this draft class. He was clear cut the best QB in that draft and he had a great coaching staff that knew how to develop a young QB. Frank Reich and Doug Pederson are about as good as it gets.

1 minute ago, Santana said:

I could understand that but lets be realistic when we are talking about Wentz compared to this draft class. He was clear cut the best QB in that draft and he had a great coaching staff that knew how to develop a young QB. Frank Reich and Doug Pederson are about as good as it gets.

He was SO clear cut that he was the SECOND QB taken that draft.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Well by a coaching staff that knew who was the better of the 2 QB's yes. He was better than Goff and their coaching staff was a crap ton better than LA's at the time.

3 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

I wasn't knocking your brother because he is right, but who's coaching the QB is just as much of a deciding factor on how good they will be and how quickly it happens.

2 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I only had to go back to 2008 to outdue your list. I dont know what your list is trying to prove. 

Mahomes

Watson

Trubisky

Goff

Wentz

Winston

Mariotta

Bortles

Bridgewater(?)

Luck

Tannehill

Newton

Stafford

Flacco

Ryan

No its not. The bills are going to make a mistake if they trade up, its all but guaranteed.

That's why they should stay pat and draft a guard and DT, so we can continue to suck for the next 15-20 years. 

A little early to call some of those guys franchise QBs. Mahommes has barely seen the field, Watson hasn't played an entire season yet.

You would feel comfortable trading away the Bills top 6 picks this year to get Trubisky or Bortles, or Tannehill? Would you be happy having Winston, or Marriotta or Bridgewater using those picks? The top guys in this years draft or more likely to be the next one of those players then the elite QBs like Brady or Manning or Brees. They don't have to mortgage their draft and still get a Jackson, or Rudolph who could be just as good or better then Tannehill or Bortles.

10 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

A little early to call some of those guys franchise QBs. Mahommes has barely seen the field, Watson hasn't played an entire season yet.

You would feel comfortable trading away the Bills top 6 picks this year to get Trubisky or Bortles, or Tannehill? Would you be happy having Winston, or Marriotta or Bridgewater using those picks? The top guys in this years draft or more likely to be the next one of those players then the elite QBs like Brady or Manning or Brees. They don't have to mortgage their draft and still get a Jackson, or Rudolph who could be just as good or better then Tannehill or Bortles.

Well since you already know the outcome, I guess there is no need to debate this anymore. 

The Bills will be stuck in suck forever. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

DXkLTuxVQAET7y2.thumb.jpg.a3617123e5d55c8bd105aa07d6824fb3.jpg

Two problems with this data point:

• Pro Bowl is meaningless; All-Pro is the standard
  • Time frame is entirely too long. 15 years covers the current span of quality QB play; if you'd prefer to get back to the entire careers of people like Peyton Manning, so be it. 

Do we honestly care that in 1993 someone drafted an eventual Pro Bowl QB in the 8th round?

Recent headlines featuring the phrase: "cost too much"

Totally Mediocre Man Passes on Date with Super Model Because:

"Dinner With Her Would Cost Too Much"

-------------The Daily Loser                                                                                    

Man Gives Away Ferrari: "Repairs cost too much!"

-------------The Idiot Street Journal                                                                     

Man Offered Immortality, Says No!

"Living Costs Too Much"

-------------The Mediocre Observer                                                                     

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Santana said:

Some of the top guys in this draft class (Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen in my opinion) have just as much potential as Wentz did. 

And Wentz wasn't the "clear cut best" QB of that class, which should be obvious because the Rams took Goff first.

The ability of a coaching staff to "develop" a Quarterback is overrated.  Coaches can only work with the talent they are given. 

We always hear about the Bills failing to develop quarterbacks like JP Losman and EJ Manuel.  But neither of those guys did squat in the NFL after going to other coaching staffs either.  It wasn't the coaches, it was the player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

Two problems with this data point:

• Pro Bowl is meaningless; All-Pro is the standard
  • Time frame is entirely too long. 15 years covers the current span of quality QB play; if you'd prefer to get back to the entire careers of people like Peyton Manning, so be it. 

Do we honestly care that in 1993 someone drafted an eventual Pro Bowl QB in the 8th round?

Those aren't problems; those are your preferences.  The data set is what it is and please feel free to do whatever you want with it, including disregard it.

4 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

I don't think any fall.

To many QB Needy teams up top.

TOM BRADY WAS A 6TH RD PICK. ITS SCIENCE THAT YOU DONT NEED TO DRAFT ONE IN RD 1.

TOM BRADY!!!

Tom Brady is 1 in 100 billion

It was an absolute fluke pick and the odds of another 6th round QB winning 5 Super Bowls is probably 1 in 100 billion