Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Good thing Holmgren didn't follow your philosophy on Favre. He couldn't beat out Chris Chandler. And again taking Matt Hasselbeck who couldnt beat out Favre.

Hasselbeck really? and Favre is from 1993 - can we at least go with 2000+?

I'm surprised you go with 150 yr Rich Gannon who was awful for the first 27 years of his career

You almost, almost, can't even look at how the position is treated now vs when there was no rookie cap. It no longer costs you 5 years and $75 million. If he sucks he busts out just like an ill advised first round pick on a non-pass rushing LB...You also have to take into account the rule changes that vastly favor a passing offense. You are a fool (not you personally) as a team, if you do not make a commitment to aggressively finding a QB. You will always be middle of the pack and churning a roster that just is not good enough to consistently compete...

1 minute ago, Sky Diver said:

Funny how some think that how much McCarron signed for has any relevance to how he might perform in the future.

He’s a super competitive guy and he made it clear that he wants the opportunity to start. He could very well have turned down higher monetary offers to sign with the Bills.

If we didn't sign him he was going back to CIN as a backup. So much for CLE's 2 & 3rd for him...

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Drew Brees

Kurt Warner

Peyton Manning

Kirk Cousins

Cousins is not a Franchise QB, so do not even go there

Brees wasn't even a sure thing he could playagain, plus they drafted Philip Rivers

Manning's neck was toast he had what 2 seasons left and then crashed horribly...

Warner wasn't an HOFer until he carried the ARZ team and he was awful on the Giants...this one I possibly give you...

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If we didn't sign him he was going back to CIN as a backup. So much for CLE's 2 & 3rd for him...

You are confusing the trade offer with McCarron’s free agency, which he won in arbitration.

He wants to be a starter and apparently he felt that Buffalo gave him the best opportunity. 

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

You are a fool (not you personally) as a team, if you do not make a commitment to aggressively finding a QB.

I agree 100%. But I also think there other ways besides top 10 draft pick. All avenues (trade/FA signing etc) should be pursued with abandon.

Hasselbeck and Holmgrwn had a nice run in Seattle in the early/mid 2000s with 2NFC championship games and 1SB appearance. Hass couldn't beat out Favre and was languishing on the pine. This is one of those other avenues of which I was speaking.

Edited by reddogblitz

13 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Funny how some think that how much McCarron signed for has any relevance to how he might perform in the future.

He’s a super competitive guy and he made it clear that he wants the opportunity to start. He could very well have turned down higher monetary offers to sign with the Bills.

I think it involves more details then just how good he is honestly. I wouldn't say my expectations feel low just because of him or how I think he plays. 

His new OC Daboll is in his first season with the Bills. How he performs as an OC and the system that he puts in place could be a factor. A lot on the offensive side of the ball is still unproven. Like including Zay Jones. The offensive unit wasn't stellar last year, a big reason the offence is transferring to a new scheme. So it's not like he's walking into a strong foundation. 

I'm not Lazer focused on just one guy. I'm kinda estimating based on the overall larger picture.

Edited by Lfod

19 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Drew Brees

Kurt Warner

Peyton Manning

Kirk Cousins

Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th round and was a backup to RGIII.

Drew Brees was drafted in the 2nd round.

Kurt Warner was undrafted.

I don’t understand the outrage over thinking that McCarron might be successful.

Edited by Sky Diver
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Cousins is not a Franchise QB, so do not even go there

Hmm. Could have sworn read on here at least 6000 times he was.

As far as the others, that's my point. You gotta pick the right one when there. Same goes for the draft. Its not where you pick, its who you pick.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, H2o said:

I think AJ does get an honest chance in Buffalo, but to not add competition if a guy you like falls to you would be foolish. 

I think they should draft a QB, but they shouldn’t give up their whole draft board to do it.

• Like (+1) 3

Kirk Cousins was drafted in the 4th round and was a backup to RGIII.

Kurt Warner was undrafted.

I don’t understand the outrage over thinking that McCarron might be successful.

He might be, but it's a long shot. QBs from the middle rounds don't turn into solid starters very often. Even if the Bills are able to draft a QB in the first round like most fans want, it's a fair bet that MCarron starts opening day. He'll have an opportunity that he was never given in CIN, and will try to take advantage of it. Most NFL coaches are not enamored with the idea of starting a rookie QB on opening day. McDermott is a pretty conservative HC, so he'd likely fall into this camp. McCarron is likely capable of playing .500 ball and keeping a team afloat. Is it possible he's better than that? We'll see. But the odds the QB drafted by the Bills is the eventual starter. McCarrons play would dictate when that time comes around. 

6 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He was in Saban’s pro-style offense.  He played well in big games, won two national championships.  Is used to taking snaps under center.  Has a 66.9% accuracy percentage which is better than every other QB prospect in this year’s draft besides Mayfield.  He has now had a couple of years to sit behind Andy Dalton, a solid NFL QB, and acclimate to the NFL, and has looked good in spot duty when Dalton was out.

I think going up to pick 2 is going to take all of our draft capital.  I’d rather give McCarron an honest chance to be our QB.  Surround him with talent from this year’s draft and let’s see what the kid can do.

Accuracy percentages 2017

Mayfield. 70.1%

Rosen      62.6%

Darnold   63.1%

Allen        56.3%

Jackson  59.1%

McCarron career 66.9%

Completion percentage is an awful stat to pick if you're only going to look at one stat.

In any case, he'll get an honest chance. Hopefully against one of the top few rookies.

15 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Hmm. Could have sworn read on here at least 6000 times he was.

As far as the others, that's my point. You gotta pick the right one when there. Same goes for the draft. Its not where you pick, its who you pick.

And you can't allow another team to leap frog you. FWIW, there are many posters on here who do not see Cousins as a franchise guy...

Also on a side note, Peter King just put up MMQB - some good stuff in there. I'm gonna throw it in a new thread...

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

And you can't allow another team to leap frog you. FWIW, there are many posters on here who do not see Cousins as a franchise guy...

Also on a side note, Peter King just put up MMQB - some good stuff in there. I'm gonna throw it in a new thread...

Let’s say we move up to 1 or 2 and the pick diesn’t work out? How far will that set us back?

No way do I see us taking that chance.

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Completion percentage is an awful stat to pick if you're only going to look at one stat.

In any case, he'll get an honest chance. Hopefully against one of the top few rookies.

Not sure what else to list for stats.  If I went with career wins and national championships I would guess McCarron wins those too.  Having said that, I agree with the thrust of your post, a single stat doesn't prove much.  I was big on trading up for one of the elites this year but the specifics of this year's draft order, team's needs, and the Jet's trade up have made that possibility too expensive in my opinion.  I'm not willing to sell the farm (3 first round picks +) to get one of the big guys this year.   I just don't think any of them are that good.  Once again,  just my opinion.  If one of the big QB's does drop past 5 I'd love for Beane to try and trade up and get him.  I just don't think that is very likely this year, but there is nothing wrong with hoping that it happens.

One thing is for certain, I am going to be glued to the TV this year to watch the Draft.  Like a lot of posters here, I don't live in Buffalo anymore.  I grew up in Tonawanda and we moved do to the poor economy when I was a teenager in the Eighties.  Would be fun to go to a bar and hang with other Bills fans to watch the draft.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Let’s say we move up to 1 or 2 and the pick diesn’t work out? How far will that set us back?

No way do I see us taking that chance.

Here is what is awesome about this year = it's just this draft. At most we may have to give up a 2 next year. The stars are actually aligned very well for this year with these picks

Rd1 = 12, 22

RD2  = 53, 56

RD3 = 65, 96

RD4 =121,

RD5= 155, 158

This is what makes it more or less special this year, the ammo is there and we can have really a full draft next year & $100 in cap space. This is the year to go big actually. If it doesn't work, its really 1 year during a tear down and you will be in the same boat of having to look for one. If it hits, QB is solved and man next off season is awesome....

Edited by Reed83HOF

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Here is what is awesome about this year = it's just this draft. At most we may have to give up a 2 next year. The stars are actually aligned very well for this year with these picks

Rd1 = 12, 22

RD2  = 53, 56

RD3 = 65, 96

RD4 =121,

RD5= 155, 158

This is what makes it more or less special this year, the ammo is there and we can have really a full draft next year & $100 in cap space. This is the year to go big actually. If it doesn't work, its really 1 year during a tear down and you will be in the same boat of having to look for one. If it hits, QB is solved and man next off season is awesome....

Too many question marks for me with the top 3 QBs to justify moving up to get one of them. I would stay put and see who falls to me.

Edited by Sky Diver

Too many question marks for me with the top 3 QBs to justify moving up to get one of them. I would stay put and see who falls to me.

Darnold and Rosen are both worth shots...Mayfield and Allen are the interesting ones...

5 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Rd1 = 12, 22

RD2  = 53, 56

RD3 = 65, 96

RD4 =121,

RD5= 155, 158

What if the Giants want both 1st round picks this year and our 1st next year?  At what point does the cost get too great?  When does the cost outweigh the reward?  Would you trade three 1st round picks for the second QB off the board this year?  In my opinion it's not worth it.  Just my opinion, I know others disagree. 

I'd rather roll with McCarron, fill in holes with our draft picks this year including grabbing McDermot's  LB,  and grab someone like a Rudolph with a later pick. 

• Like (+1) 2