Why not give McCarron an honest chance?

You guys want an Alabama AJ McCarron stat? How about 77 TD's and only 15 INTs. Completion percentage 67.3%.

I think it's great that Buffalo will give this kid a shot to compete for a starting job. I'm not holding my breath though. 

The reason he was a 5th round pick. 

Weaknesses:

Surrounded by an NFL-caliber supporting cast with a very good offensive line that provides a lot of time to dissect the field. Does not have a big-time, vertical arm. Average athlete. Makes occasional bone-headed decisions. Heaves the deep ball and forces receivers to make adjustments. Does not drive the deep out.

Draft Projection:

Round 2

Bottom Line:

An efficient game-managing quarterback who has shown he can carry an offense at times throughout his career, but more often is dependent on a terrific supporting cast. Grades out most highly for his intangibles and decision-making, knowing when and where to go with the ball, and could earn an NFL starting job.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

If what he's saying was the case, Alex Smith would still be in KC. ;)

Having reasonable expectations is not rooting against him.  

How do you know what is reasonable or unreasonable? Do you have a crystal ball? The guy won two national championships and he’s a heckuva competitor. I like his chances.

Edited by Sky Diver

7 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

How do you know what is reasonable or unreasonable? Do you have a crystal ball? The guy won two national championships and he’s heckuva competitor. I like his chances.

You said you have high expectations. Do you have a crystal ball?  Tebow was a National Championship QB at FLA and that means zip in the NFL. You're just getting all huffy because he played at Alabama. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

9 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

You guys want an Alabama AJ McCarron stat? How about 77 TD's and only 15 INTs. Completion percentage 67.3%.

I think it's great that Buffalo will give this kid a shot to compete for a starting job. I'm not holding my breath though. 

The reason he was a 5th round pick. 

Weaknesses:

Surrounded by an NFL-caliber supporting cast with a very good offensive line that provides a lot of time to dissect the field. Does not have a big-time, vertical arm. Average athlete. Makes occasional bone-headed decisions. Heaves the deep ball and forces receivers to make adjustments. Does not drive the deep out.

Draft Projection:

Round 2

Bottom Line:

An efficient game-managing quarterback who has shown he can carry an offense at times throughout his career, but more often is dependent on a terrific supporting cast. Grades out most highly for his intangibles and decision-making, knowing when and where to go with the ball, and could earn an NFL starting job.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/aj-mccarron?id=2543497

There are negatives on every player even Joe Montana. One of the knocks on him was that we was weak armed.

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/hall-fame-qb-joe-montana-responds-1979-nfl-draft-profile

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You said you have high expectations. Do you have a crystal ball?  Tebow was a National Championship QB at FLA and that means zip in the NFL. Yo'ure just getting all huffy because he played at Alabama. 

Everybody is different, as is every situation.... If they weren’t this game would be simple. 

Edited by BananaB

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You said you have high expectations. Do you have a crystal ball?  Tebow was a National Championship QB at FLA and that means zip in the NFL. Yo'ure just getting all huffy because he played at Alabama. 

If the Bills didn’t have high expectations for McCarron, like I do, they wouldn’t have signed him.

Do you have something against Alabama for some reason?

Just now, Sky Diver said:

If the Bills didn’t have high expectations for McCarron, like I do, they wouldn’t have signed him.

Do you have something against Alabama for some reason?

They have an expectation that he'll have an opportunity to compete for a starting job and they're paying him accordingly.  I have nothing against Alabama, but I am noting that as the reason for your blinded and fervent defense of McCarron. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They have an expectation that he'll have an opportunity to compete for a starting job and they're paying him accordingly.  I have nothing against Alabama, but I am noting that as the reason for your blinded and fervent defense of McCarron. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

“Blinded and fervent defense”? Wow, really? Because I like the signing and I think he has the potential to be successful?

Did Alabama wipe the floor with your favorite college team and that’s why you are trolling me?

2 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

“Blinded and fervent defense”? Wow, really? Because I like the signing and I think he has the potential to be successful?

Did Alabama wipe the floor with your favorite college team and that’s why you are trolling me?

It was a fine signing, cheep quality backup. But the odds of him being a QB who puts us in playoff contention year in and year out are long to say the least. 

6 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

You're trolling yourself when the fact of the matter is no other team wanted AJ McCarron as a starter and he had to come to the Bills on a cheap contract worth less than some backups get.  Yet here you are with "high" expectations.  I say he'll be okay as a starter and you come back with me rooting against him.  Ridiculous.  Then you ask if I have a crystal ball when his production to date falls in line with what I'm saying versus your "high expectations.   You follow up with a silly question about me having a bias against Alabama when nothing I have posted indicates that.  Get a grip!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

22 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

You're trolling yourself when the fact of the matter is no other team wanted AJ McCarron as a starter and he had to come to the Bills on a cheap contract worth less than some backups get.  Yet here you are with "high" expectations.  I say he'll be okay as a starter and you come back with me rooting against him.  Ridiculous.  Then you ask if I have a crystal ball when his production to date falls in line with what I'm saying versus your "high expectations.   You follow up with a silly question about me having a bias against Alabama when nothing I have posted indicates that.  Get a grip!

A crystal ball is forward looking and production to date is rear view mirror.

Cleveland offered a 2nd and 3rd for him, but the deal fell through because they didn’t get the paperwork in before the trade deadline.

You are getting this bent out of shape because I expect McCarron to do well? Wow. Since it is so irrational, I am really searching for an explanation.

yup, for back up money...just like TT is career back up, so is this guy...stop falling for others trash QBs, franchise guys do not hit FA

Just now, reddogblitz said:

We traded 2003 first round pick for Bledsoe. Also traded a first for Rob Johnson.

15 years ladys & gents...15 years

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Skipping to the end without reading and I'm sure this has been said, but he couldn't beat out Andy Dalton...Pass

Good thing Holmgren didn't follow your philosophy on Favre. He couldn't beat out Chris Chandler. And again taking Matt Hasselbeck who couldnt beat out Favre.

• Like (+1) 2

My expectations are low right now. A backup QB signed for peanuts playing for a new OC and system. It's looking more like a snowballs chance then an honest chance but the guy has every opportunity to remove doubts my about him. None of you can do that for him right now. It has to be done on the field.

Edited by Lfod

Funny how some think that how much McCarron signed for has any relevance to how he might perform in the future.

He’s a super competitive guy and he made it clear that he wants the opportunity to start. He could very well have turned down higher monetary offers to sign with the Bills.

Edited by Sky Diver