Beane & Co. too Conservative in their Trade Offers? (Opinion)

Maybe they are just smart enough to realize that you don't need to get to the top 3 to get a QB and they might be able to get he guy they want where they are at now or by moving to 7 or 8.  Let's stop acting like whoever someone takes at 1,2 or 3 is guaranteed tobe a franchise QB...in fact odds are against them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

AND, keep in mind, Prior to this trade, it was likely only 1 QB would be taken in the top 3, meaning we could grab the #4 slot & comfortably get "our guy." Cleveland also knew this. They didn't HAVE to take a QB #1 overall, and could also rest on their laurels knowing they could select at #4 a QB. They could grab a RB #1, the Giants grab not a QB at #2, the Colts grab not a QB at #3 & then at #4, the Browns get their pick of the litter. 

Now this forces Cleveland's hand if they really have their hearts set on 1 particular guy. They don't want the Jets to draft him, so they're forced to grab a guy at #1, the Jet's get their guy at #3, and the Bills either get stuck with the 3rd guy left at #4, or are forced to trade away a King's Ransom to trade with the Giants & get ahead of the Jets.... None of this looks good.

I don't see this as true. 

I think Cleveland was likely taking a QB at 1 all along. Jimmy Haslam gave John Dorsey the mandate to find a franchise QB no matter what, ans he said this to the media. He said it was Dorsey's #1 priority. 

And even in your scenario where the Browns pass on a QB at one - if the Bills had traded to 3 instead of the Jets, that would still force Cleveland's hand the exact same way the Jets trade did. 

Worse yet, it may have forced another team's hand in a trade to #2, leaving the Bills with the 3rd QB off the board after giving up a giant haul of picks. 

The #3 pick was always in play. The Colts had planned on trading down all offseason. If it wasn't the Jets, it would have been someone else. 

Our best chance at our QB has always been a trade to the #2 pick. 

The way I feel, only the top 2 QBs this year are worth trading a draft's worth of picks for. I'd rather give up more and guarantee that we get one of those 2 QBs than to give up most of our draft capital to trade to 3 and then miss out on both of those top QBs. 

Herea another scenario - a Cleveland takes Darnold at 1. Giants take Barkley at 2. Jets take Allen at 3, leaving Rosen at 4. We trade up with Cleveland and save ourselves some picks. 

Or our target is Mayfield, he slips past 5 and we trade with a team around 6-9 and save even more.

There are still lots of potential scenarios that could play out. It's not all doom and gloom... 

Edited by BillsFan4

8 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I don't see this as true. 

I think Cleveland was likely taking a QB at 1 all along. Jimmy Haslam gave John Dorsey the mandate to find a franchise QB no matter what, ans he said this to the media. He said it was Dorsey's #1 priority. 

And even in your scenario where the Browns pass on a QB at one - if the Bills had traded to 3 instead of the Jets, that would still force Cleveland's hand the exact same way the Jets trade did. 

Worse yet, it may have forced another team's hand in a trade to #2, leaving the Bills with the 3rd QB off the board after giving up a giant haul of picks. 

The #3 pick was always in play. The Colts had planned on trading down all offseason. If it wasn't the Jets, it would have been someone else. 

Our best chance at our QB has always been a trade to the #2 pick. 

The way I feel, only the top 2 QBs this year are worth trading a draft's worth of picks for. I'd rather give up more and guarantee that we get one of those 2 QBs than to give up most of our draft capital to trade to 3 and then miss out on both of those top QBs. 

Herea another scenario - a Cleveland takes Darnold at 1. Giants take Barkley at 2. Jets take Allen at 3, leaving Rosen at 4. We trade up with Cleveland and save ourselves some picks. 

Or our target is Mayfield, he slips past 5 and we trade with a team around 6-9 and save even more.

There are still lots of potential scenarios that could play out. It's not all doom and gloom... 

or the target is Allen and you just take him at 12

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Maybe they are just smart enough to realize that you don't need to get to the top 3 to get a QB and they might be able to get he guy they want where they are at now or by moving to 7 or 8.  Let's stop acting like whoever someone takes at 1,2 or 3 is guaranteed tobe a franchise QB...in fact odds are against them.

Exactly. People are acting like just because we didn't trade to #3 the Bills have no chance of finding a franchise QB anymore. It's ridiculous. 

We could very well take a QB at 12 or 22 or even 53/56/65 and he could turn out to be better than whatever QB is taken at 3. 

We have no idea until it all plays out in a few years. 

Everyone seems to think any one of the top 3 QBs this year are can't miss. I don't see it that way. 

I see the top 2 (Darnold/Rosen) as the 2 most sure bets, and all the rest as a crap shoot. Even Darnold and Rosen are a crap shoot. There isn't any can't miss QBs this year. There are some very enticing prospects, but the real strength of this QB draft is in its depth.

I don't think the difference between Mayfield/Allen and Rudolph/Jackson/White/Lauletta etc is FOUR top 49 picks... (and it would have actually cost the Bills even more than what the Jets gave up - likely 2 1sts, 2 2nds and a 3rd)

2 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

or the target is Allen and you just take him at 12

Very well could be.

I had been really hoping for Rosen/Darnold. But Id take a shot on Allen at 12. 

Hes definitely boom or bust, but man if he hits you are set! His ceiling is sky high IMO. 

Im pretty open to whatever QB we draft at this point. I'll trust Beane and co., who are paid big bucks to do this for a living, over my own amateur tv and YouTube scouting. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Without next year's draft pick, the Jets gave up 2,540 points for a pick worth 2,200.  That's a 340 point (56th overall pick) premium.  Add another ~500 points (because they'll suck again next year) and the Jets gave up the equivalent of a later-1st rounder.  That's crazy.

True. But on the other hand if they land their QB for the next 15yrs, it wasnt crazy at all. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Without next year's draft pick, the Jets gave up 2,540 points for a pick worth 2,200.  That's a 340 point (56th overall pick) premium.  Add another ~500 points (because they'll suck again next year) and the Jets gave up the equivalent of a later-1st rounder.  That's crazy.

I don’t think it’s crazy at all...I think both sides won... the jets are happy that they didn’t have give up a first next year and the colts are happy because they got extra picks for basically nothing- win/win.

Maybe the better question is -

Were the Jets too reckless in trading up right now? 

They gave up a whole lot to only guarantee themselves the 3rd QB off the board.

They haven't even attended all the QBs pro days yet, or had ANY of the QBs in for a visit and private workout. They haven't had a chance yet to sit down with these QBs and talk extensively. As far as I know, they've only met with each for 15 mins at the combine. 

From the sounds of it (MMQB article), the Jets decided to go all in on this QB draft last year. MacCagnan sold Woody Johnson on doing whatever it took to get 1 of the top 4 QBs this year. They are supposedly comfortable with any of the top 4 (which is reckless in itself IMO). That makes me think they did try and tank this season like many suspected. IMO That also sounds like the GM's job probably depends on getting a top QB from this draft. 

If thats the case, it's not usually a good thing to try and go toe to toe with a guy recklessly doing whatever it takes to get a top 4 QB this year because his job may depend on it. 

Or at best, it sounds like a GM who is perfectly comfortable just throwing a dart at 1 of 4 random QBs and hoping he hits. 

Id rather have a more calculating GM who is going to really think out his moves and make sure he's 100% comfortable with trading the farm for a specific QB. 

1 hour ago, BigDingus said:

or are forced to trade away a King's Ransom to trade with the Giants & get ahead of the Jets.... None of this looks good.

It was going to cost a team a King's Ransom to get to two regardless of this recent trade. That was always the case. IF the Giants don't take a QB themselves they will likely shake down the Jets for a couple more draft picks just to move one spot up. 

Colts did the right thing. They are guaranteed their guy still at six and picked up three second round picks. McBeane could have offered 3000 points in draft picks and it still wouldn't have been enough because of the simple fact that the Colts would be at 12 and they would miss out on their target.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm disappointed, I expected this staff to give us fans the franchise worthy QB we have been waiting for since Kelly. Regardless of cost it was going to happen, we were all so sure. Everything was in the cards, a HC that was just with Cam a franchise worthy QB, a boat load of picks, a move up to 12, the trading of Tyrod, I was ok with waiting till this draft because of our chances on landing one of the top 3, sadly it looks like another wide right. Almost got it, not quick enough.

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I'm disappointed, I expected this staff to give us fans the franchise worthy QB we have been waiting for since Kelly. Regardless of cost it was going to happen, we were all so sure. Everything was in the cards, a HC that was just with Cam a franchise worthy QB, a boat load of picks, a move up to 12, the trading of Tyrod, I was ok with waiting till this draft because of our chances on landing one of the top 3, sadly it looks like another wide right. Almost got it, not quick enough.

And how do you know they’re not going to?  At least let it play out before crying over your spilled almond milk...

Just now, Heitz said:

And how do you know they’re not going to?  At least let it play out before crying over your spilled almond milk...

I dont but it sure looks like the same old Bills waiting for one to fall from the sky. We as fans have been let down the exact same way every draft, they wait for the golden arm to fall to them and boom always got to wait till next year's draft, wash repeat. Hey look another backup QB from some other team leading the way, just a new staff doing the exact same thing, build around some other teams backup. If didn't happen all the time I guess I wouldn't feel this way. 

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I dont but it sure looks like the same old Bills waiting for one to fall from the sky. We as fans have been let down the exact same way every draft, they wait for the golden arm to fall to them and boom always got to wait till next year's draft, wash repeat. Hey look another backup QB from some other team leading the way, just a new staff doing the exact same thing, build around some other teams backup. If didn't happen all the time I guess I wouldn't feel this way. 

:cry::(:censored:

5 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Got it, BBBFS.  Makes sense now...