Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

More guaranteed $$$

I like it for both sides

They are out after 3 years if he doesn't pan out

He can go for another big deal at age 33 if he plays great

If he does play great, it's a great deal for Minny too

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Is that more or less than what Garoppolo is getting?

I think more.   Rumor has it even Alex Smith is getting more than Jimmy G.  

Breaking down the Jimmy G contract

As is always the case in these situations, though, the numbers aren't quite as overwhelming as they seem at first glance. Garoppolo's deal comes with $74.1 million in guarantees, including those for injury.

But the true guarantee at signing came out to $48.7 million, which falls well below other true guarantees such as the one given to Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford. Most of that is paid out over the first couple of years, leaving the 49ers flexibility moving forward.

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I think more.   Rumor has it even Alex Smith is getting more than Jimmy G.  

Breaking down the Jimmy G contract

As is always the case in these situations, though, the numbers aren't quite as overwhelming as they seem at first glance. Garoppolo's deal comes with $74.1 million in guarantees, including those for injury.

But the true guarantee at signing came out to $48.7 million, which falls well below other true guarantees such as the one given to Detroit quarterback Matthew Stafford. Most of that is paid out over the first couple of years, leaving the 49ers flexibility moving forward.

I see, thanks.

That's still a lot for a guy who has never played an entire season.

58 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I like it for both sides

They are out after 3 years if he doesn't pan out

He can go for another big deal at age 33 if he plays great

If he does play great, it's a great deal for Minny too

But what changes here is the fully guaranteed part..first time I can remember a big contract not having years after the guarantee period. Past contracts would have been 5 yr/$144M/$87 guaranteed. Minnesota still out after 3 if they want, but get the 2 extra if he plays great.

This could be the contract we look at in 10 years as the start of shorter, fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL..i am sure the other owners going to be might cranky with the Wolff's on this.

2 hours ago, scribo said:

By all other accounts he is faking that he knows if Cousins has agreed to sign. Seems he only agreed to visit Minny at this point. 

Yes, I would hate for facts to get in the way of someone's daydream.  I'll wait until he actually puts his signature on that contract as likely as it may seem.  People forget JIm Kelly being at OBD when the call was put through from the USFL.  Today Cousins just has to answer his cell.  Maybe Minny better get some CIA style signal jamming equipment going.

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

But what changes here is the fully guaranteed part..first time I can remember a big contract not having years after the guarantee period. Past contracts would have been 5 yr/$144M/$87 guaranteed. Minnesota still out after 3 if they want, but get the 2 extra if he plays great.

This could be the contract we look at in 10 years as the start of shorter, fully guaranteed contracts in the NFL..i am sure the other owners going to be might cranky with the Wolff's on this.

Yeah it could set a new precedent.

NBA is fully guaranteed max of 4 years, 5 in a supermax "Derrick Rose rule" deal

Cousins is again betting on himself for 3 years that he will play like all all-pro and then cash-in again at age 33.