Best QB available.

I just don't understand all the love for moving up in the draft to get our QB.  If I'm the GM or owner I have the attitude that I'm building this team to beat the Patriots. Best team in the division, best team in the AFC, best team in the league. I don't go after an unproven commodity. That being said; I go after Foles first, if I can't get him, Andrew Luck, he dosent seem happy in Indy and they need everything. If they don't work out. I get Keenum, if that doesn't happen, I try to find a "bridge" guy.  Maybe Tom Savage, Bradford, or Teddy. 

I draft the best DT available. You beat the Patsies with pressure right up the middle.  Then I find an edge rusher.  There are going to be QB's falling in the draft.  

Just now, Bornafan66 said:

I just don't understand all the love for moving up in the draft to get our QB.  If I'm the GM or owner I have the attitude that I'm building this team to beat the Patriots. Best team in the division, best team in the AFC, best team in the league. I don't go after an unproven commodity. That being said; I go after Foles first, if I can't get him, Andrew Luck, he dosent seem happy in Indy and they need everything. If they don't work out. I get Keenum, if that doesn't happen, I try to find a "bridge" guy.  Maybe Tom Savage, Bradford, or Teddy. 

I draft the best DT available. You beat the Patsies with pressure right up the middle.  Then I find an edge rusher.  There are going to be QB's falling in the draft.  

The reason to move up and get a qb is because the only way you can sustain success in the NFL is by having a franchise qb.  No other positions on the NFL can win you a game like a qb can.  Retread qbs just don't work out and that route is getting old.  You beat the Pats by having a qb that can out up points not with a defensive tackle to put pressure up the middle.

Keeping Brady off the field with a downfield passing game is a better way to beat NE. The best defense is still a good offense. 

And I still don't understand this thought process of avoiding the college prospects in favor of current NFL QBs. Foles is no guarantee, and neither is Keenum or Tom Savage (!).  

And speaking of DT's, who played there for NE last year? Are they spending lots of high picks on their defensive front 7?

• Like (+1) 1

Everyone in our division is looking for a QB if not this year, very soon, that will lead them through the next decade. Even the Pats will have to start thinking about replacing Brady soon.

We need to get a head start on things and go get our QB. By 2020, the Pats, Jets, and Dolphins will all have gotten their QB, but you’re recommending we keep doing what we’ve been doing for the last 20 years, slapping a bandaid on the QB position.

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You are not beating Patriots With retreads and journeymen at QB. 

Go fix your QB for the first time since Kelly retired in the 90s

Totally.  A team facing Brady in a game like say the superbowl has no chance with a retread like foles.  Ha

I'm with him.  Sign a vet and take best available with 21 or 22 and load this team up with talent. 

1 minute ago, Hebert19 said:

Totally.  A team facing Brady in a game like say the superbowl has no chance with a retread like foles.  Ha

I'm with him.  Sign a vet and take best available with 21 or 22 and load this team up with talent. 

So Your going with with the One Game lightening in a Bottle Hope I see. 

You are not beating the top Team consistently with a Journeyman QB. 

GET UP IN DRAFT AND GET YOURS 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Keeping Brady off the field with a downfield passing game is a better way to beat NE. The best defense is still a good offense. 

And I still don't understand this thought process of avoiding the college prospects in favor of current NFL QBs. Foles is no guarantee, and neither is Keenum or Tom Savage (!).  

And speaking of DT's, who played there for NE last year? Are they spending lots of high picks on their defensive front 7?

I agree you have to keep Brady on the sidelines, but your not going to beat NE in a shoot out.  Foles, and Keenum are a much safer bet than a draft pick. Savage would be a serviceable bridge to groom a second round QB, or even Peterson.  

18 minutes ago, Bornafan66 said:

You don't go after an unproven commodity, but you're willing to go after guys that played above their norm for very short periods of time.  Nick Foles didn't even have a great regular season.  56.4% completion percentage?  Career average of 60.1%?  Definitely a journeyman not worthy of Philadelphia's demand of more than a first and fourth round pick.  Case Keenum had a good regular season with Minnesota, but that was after 4 seasons of rather mediocre play.  I wouldn't call him "proven" either.  Neither of these guys are playing on a bridge contract.  As for Bradford, I'll bet he gets something in the way of $15m for a one year "show me" deal.  Also, why suggest getting a "bridge" guy AND at the same time saying they shouldn't try to get their quarterback of the future.  Those two points contradict each other.

At the end of the day, there's a couple of possible ways that the Bills go about this.  They pay someone a decent chunk of change on a multi-year deal and draft for potential (i.e. don't move up).  This is the Cousins, Foles, Keenum situation.  I hate the idea of Foles, but the guy just won a Superbowl and that will count for something.  They trade up and get their guy, whomever that is.  For insurance, you sign a Savage, McCown or someone similar just in case they're not ready to start right away.  The third option is settling somewhere in between.  You don't necessarily get the guy you want in the draft, and you sign someone like Bradford, Bridgewater, or even McCarron to a "show me" deal.  That's my two cents.  

Edited by Luxy312

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

You will not beat the a patriots without a great DL.  Our DL is abysmal.  Our LBs are right there with them.  I agree that we should do our best to acquire the best qb we can (we have the ammo this year), but we have LOTS of holes to fill (including an entire DL and LB Corp).  I hope we move up for a QB, but if we don’t, I just pray that we load up on the defensive front 7 to build a dominant defense. The core of our secondary is in place for a few years.  Solidify the front 7 if the price to too steep tomtrade up for the QB.  

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

So Your going with with the One Game lightening in a Bottle Hope I see. 

You are not beating the top Team consistently with a Journeyman QB. 

GET UP IN DRAFT AND GET YOURS 

One game? Did you watch the season?   I guess Brett Farve, Steve Young and Jim Kelly could also be considered retreads or journeymen. 

11 minutes ago, Bornafan66 said:

I agree you have to keep Brady on the sidelines, but your not going to beat NE in a shoot out.  Foles, and Keenum are a much safer bet than a draft pick. Savage would be a serviceable bridge to groom a second round QB, or even Peterson.  

The Eagles just beat the Pats in a shootout.  You aren't going to beat the Pats scoring less than 28 points.

Tom Brady is going to be 41 this year.  The Pats have no clear successor on the roster.  Even if he does kick father times butt, the guy can't have more than 5 years left.  Take a young QB, allow him and the team to grow for a couple of years and in 2-3 you'll actually be ready to take the division from NE on an annual basis.

11 minutes ago, Bornafan66 said:

They are building this team through the draft Bradford, Bridgewater risk/reward to high almost as high as a rookie Savage NOT !! Luck he doesn't even know if he will be close to what he was & will cost a fortune !!

Foles has been up & down he hit it perfect had all the parts around him last year take some of those parts away & you have the Foles that was with the Rams plus the amount of draft capital & the money he's going to want for a 30 yr old QB unless he has Brees resume i'm thinking no !

The is other options in FA that i think would be better & the draft is the first priority & i trust Mc Bean & company will use their experience as they already have & do what's right for the Bills !! 

GO BILLS !!  

1 minute ago, Bornafan66 said:

One game? Did you watch the season?   I guess Brett Farve, Steve Young and Jim Kelly could also be considered retreads or journeymen. 

Yeah I did. I also watched the other Seasons he was a starting QB. 

So nope i am not trading a journeyman QB, to trade for another journeyman QB

3 minutes ago, Bornafan66 said:

I dont think YOU watched hik this season if you think he was great lol

Edited by MAJBobby

9 minutes ago, Bornafan66 said:

Foles and Keenum's play in 2017 does not portend they'll be at that level under a new team's coaching staff and scheme. 

There are no guarantees in life and that's why it's important to take calculated risks. Hence, the scouting process and off-season spent reviewing personnel leading into UFA and the draft. 

4 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Foles and Keenum's play in 2017 does not portend they'll be at that level under a new team's coaching staff and scheme. 

There are no guarantees in life and that's why it's important to take calculated risks. Hence, the scouting process and off-season spent reviewing personnel leading into UFA and the draft. 

Not saying we don't draft a guy this year. I definitely think we should, but not in the first round. The QB's in this years draft all seem to be abor out the same level depending on who you talk to. No one really stands out. I think we could get a good QB in the 2nd or even 3rd this year.  If we do get a guy like Keenum, Bradford, Bridgewater, etc. and a draft pick wins the job in camp I'd be ecstatic.  Agree; there are no guarantees. 

39 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Nick Foles is still my number 1 guy. I think he has shown, at times, do be an above average starter in this league. But I think the plan now is to move up in the top 5 of the draft. Getting a 3rd (almost a 2nd) for tyrod was absolutely huge. Move up and draft Mayfield. Love that kid.

• Like (+1) 1