Bills signings & TT trade point to trade up

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

I am all hyped up over a trade up too. I want it to happen so bad, and so many people seem convinced that it'll happen. At this point I'll be pretty disappointed if it doesn't happen. But I also know that it is far from a sure thing. I don't even know if there's a 50/50 chance, to be honest. I'd like to think there is but I have no clue. Beane has played his cards pretty close to the vest. 

Honestly, It feels kinda strange to be so firmly for trading up to the top of this draft for a QB.

Historically, I have been against it. I've argued with numerous people over the years, saying how teams trading to the top of the draft for a QB have basically always lost out in the deal (outside of Vick, and now Wentz, and Goff (possibly)). 

But now I am all for it. Feels a little strange... lol.

I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I really didn't have much of any faith left in Doug Whaley to find the Bills a QB. I didn't really like the things he seemed to prioritize at the QB position (big and mobile with zero concern for, or emphasis on, accuracy or pocket presence, reading defenses, throwing with anticipation etc). 

We dont don't know that Beane will be any better, but I guess since he's new there's still that hope... lol. 

I like what he's shown so far. He's hired a killer front office/scouting/personnel staff, and seems to be very methodical and calculated in his approach. 

And if the Peterman pick is any indication of what they prioritize in their QBs (accuracy, anticipation, ability to read defensive coverages and go through progressions etc) I like our chances much better than I did under Whaley. 

I don't feel convinced just yet, I'm close. I would have also been against a trade up at first when it sounded weaker. I'm convinced the Browns would trade if stating it publicly or at least want to listen to offers. That feels pretty solid. 

Then you get the Giants signaling they are not going in the direction of the QB. They also at least have the option to look at offers.

Then it's like two teams jump into the first and second round in this draft and draft QBs. The part I need convincing more on is the chances the Bills have the ammo to actually get to #1 or #2 over other teams.

The Browns and Giants know that #1 and #2 spot are the big trade up spots for QB. If your not taking one at the very least your listening to the offers. How it all matches up time will tell but it is good feelings right now. 

Edited by Lfod

9 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I don't feel convinced just yet, I'm close. I would have also been against a trade up at first when it sounded weaker. I'm convinced the Browns would trade if stating it publicly or at least want to listen to offers. That feels pretty solid. 

Then you get the Giants signaling they are not going in the direction of the QB. They also at least have the option to look at offers.

Then it's like two teams jump into the first and second round in this draft and draft QBs. The part I need convincing more on is the chances the Bills have the ammo to actually get to #1 or #2 over other teams.

The Browns and Giants know that #1 and #2 spot are the big trade up spots for QB. If your not taking one at the very least your listening to the offers. How it all matches up time will tell but it is good feelings right now. 

Oh, I didn't mean that I am convinced that the Bills will trade up. I am definitely not. 

Just that this is the year to do it IMO. 

I think thre there are some unique circumstances this year that would allow the Bills to get an elite QB draft prospect that in most normal years wouldn't be available because the teams at the top of the draft wouldn't be willing to trade back.

like the Winston & Mariota draft for example. A couple teams tried like hell to get the #1 or #2 pick and it just wasn't happening because both the Bucs and Titans were desperate for a franchise QB. 

Edited by BillsFan4

3 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Oh, I didn't mean that I am convinced that the Bills will trade up. I am definitely not. 

Just that this is the year to do it IMO. 

I think thre there are some unique circumstances this year that would allow the Bills to get an elite QB draft prospect that in most normal years wouldn't be available because the teams at the top of the draft wouldn't be willing to trade back.

like the Winston & Mariota draft for example. A couple teams tried like hell to get the #1 or #2 pick and it just wasn't happening because both the Bucs and Titans were desperate for a franchise QB. 

I only meant it's hard to feel convinced about it being the Bills because I don't have a proper understanding what value we have compared to other potential buyers. Haha. 

4 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I only meant it's hard to feel convinced about it being the Bills because I don't have a proper understanding what value we have compared to other potential buyers. Haha. 

Not sure if you've seen this before, but here's a draft value chart.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp?RequestTeam=BUF

We definitely have the draft capital in just this year's draft alone to move up.

It would likely take both 1sts, both 2nds and both 3rds this year. 

That would put the value at 2681 vs 2600 for the 2nd overall pick.

It might take even more to sweeten the pot though, especially if other teams offer more. Unless the Giants value getting all picks this year over a mix of picks this year and next year.

People do say that next year's picks are valued a round lower (so a 2nd would be valued as a 3rd). So If we are talking some picks this year and some next, it'll probably be even more.

42 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Rosen or one of these 2 = Darnold/Mayfield

I'm still pissed about no Trubisky or Mahomes; grow some stones and go get your guy

Trust the process! Also I think bean alluded to not making a move until there was a better alternative...

I totally agree with the 3 Qb's. I didn't really expect them to make a play at the Qb position early last year considering all the holes in the roster. Hope they don't blow it this year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Luxy312 said:

I really don't read into the signings all that much at this point.  Chris Ivory is simply a backup at a position where we obviously don't need a starter.  Odighizuha did virtually nothing for the Giants and the Bills definitively need another starter opposite Hughes now that Lawson is gone, unless someone strongly believes that Yarbrough is good enough to start.  Vontae Davis is a legitimate starter if he can stay healthy.  None the less, they get REALLY thin at that position after those two with no names like Pitts and Borders.  Guys that I don't know if I've even seen them take the field.

They haven't done nearly enough in free agency for me to read the tea leaves and suggest a move up is eminent.  There's still a lot of holes to fill and many positions where they could use a serious upgrade, even after what they've done so far in free agency.

FREE AGENCY hasn't started yet...

One could argue that these moves just as much point to signing big FA...Cousins?

Because he would take at least 2/3 of Cap money left and by trading Tyrod they freed approximately $10 million, and then the Bills have all these Draft picks to fill their needs. 

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and what if he just DID not fit their plan period despite public comments?.......quite a leap to think one knows what McBeane is thinking.....BTW, where is the FIRE MCBEANE..FIRE MCD NOW gang when we need 'em?......

Not sure who are upset with. You sound angry. But to answer the part you bolded, Beane said he would not trade Tyrod unless he had a replacement. That's common sense

9 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Not sure who are upset with. You sound angry. But to answer the part you bolded, Beane said he would not trade Tyrod unless he had a replacement. That's common sense

....angry?....I have no reason to be........getting a 3rd is great work IMO......who do you think he replacement is?.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

18 hours ago, Kemp said:

Get Mayfield or don't trade up.

I am leaning towards that too.  I think he is the best of the crop and has the least red flags.

10 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Bills either have a deal in place to trade up or they have a deal in place for Foles. They wouldn't make this Tyrod trade without certainty around the QB position for 2018

Disagree.  I disagree they wouldn't trade TT without a deal in place.  You get what you can for him and that was a steal!!

I do agree they MAY have a deal in place to move up for specific pieces.

Better-than-expected haul for Tyrod Taylor sets Bills up to draft QB

For now, that quarterback room consists only of 2017 fifth-round pick Nathan Peterman, who has the support of McDermott but is a long ways off from being a viable starting NFL quarterback.

This trade was not about the Bills handing the keys over to Peterman or even getting into the race for Cousins or Keenum. Making a blockbuster free-agent signing at quarterback remains highly unlikely.

This move was about continuing to set the table for the Bills to trade up in the draft for a quarterback. Buffalo now owns two picks in each of the first three rounds, which should give the club ample assets to move as high as possible up the board. If there is a suitor in the top five of the draft -- perhaps the New York Giants at No. 2, the Indianapolis Colts at No. 3 or the Browns at No. 4 -- the Bills have the capital to win a potential bidding war over other quarterback-needy teams.

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, mannc said:

Well, KC gave up 27, a third and the next year’s first to move up 17 slots in round 1.  Not unreasonable to think Bills could move down to 4 with two firsts and a second this year.  

I already told you that won't happen because it's not enough.  We'll possibly find out soon enough.  

12 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

FREE AGENCY hasn't started yet...

Really?  Of course it hasn't.  Please go back and read the OP's assertions.  Moves SO FAR point to TRADING UP.  My point is that they simply do not.