Any Optometrists Here?

I just ordered new prescription sunglasses and I was forced to get an eye exam even though I just wanted them to match my current glasses.  My prescription had expired.  The results of the exam had a slight change in my prescription.  The cylinder changed from -1.75 to -2.25 in both eyes and the axis changed from 11 to 15 and 165 to 170. The sphere remained at -1.25 for both eyes.   The optometrist said that this change would not bother me as I switched between my glasses and sunglasses and it made no sense not to get the sunglasses with the updated prescription.  I am still a little skeptical.  Does anyone have an educated opinion about a .5 change in cylinder and if I might be bothered with headaches or eye strain when switching between the two pair of glasses?  I'm hoping that I don't need to replace the lenses in my normal glasses as they are only a few months old. 

9 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I just ordered new prescription sunglasses and I was forced to get an eye exam even though I just wanted them to match my current glasses.  My prescription had expired.  The results of the exam had a slight change in my prescription.  The cylinder changed from -1.75 to -2.25 in both eyes and the axis changed from 11 to 15 and 165 to 170. The sphere remained at -1.25 for both eyes.   The optometrist said that this change would not bother me as I switched between my glasses and sunglasses and it made no sense not to get the sunglasses with the updated prescription.  I am still a little skeptical.  Does anyone have an educated opinion about a .5 change in cylinder and if I might be bothered with headaches or eye strain when switching between the two pair of glasses?  I'm hoping that I don't need to replace the lenses in my normal glasses as they are only a few months old. 

Sounds like you're masturbating too much. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I'm not an optometrist but I have one anecdotal data point for you.

When I first got prescription sunglasses, they matched my regular prescription. A couple years later my 'scrip changed, but I was too cheap to buy new sunglasses, so kept the old sunglasses and just updated the regular glasses. I don't remember the difference in numbers, but I found that when I switched between regular and sunglasses, it took me a few seconds to adjust, but it wasn't a big deal. I think my regular 'scrip changed twice while I had the same sunglasses, and it worked out okay.

Eventually I got tired of carrying around sunglasses, so I now have Transition lenses.

• Like (+1) 1

I’m overdue for an exam. I keep ignoring the voicemails, but life has gotten in the way recently. You are lucky that your eyes aren’t that bad. I am lucky that I wear contacts 99.9% of the time and both eyes are the same at -4.0. It makes it easier with daily disposable contacts if they are both the same. 

You’re welcome for no help whatsoever. 

Why not contacts? I’d be seriously depressed if I had to wear glasses all the time. Just me, I know. Playing tennis, in the rain, fogging up, sliding down my nose. I guess it’s all what you get used to. I have a buddy who just can’t put stuff in his eyes. Daily disposable contacts are a blessing I appreciate!  Then any sunglasses work. 

Just now, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Sitting behind a computer all day, I had to go glasses over contacts. Contacts just bothered my eyes.  For sports, I have those rec specs, which are dorky but do the trick. I think the only time I wear contacts is at the beach.

I struggled with all day every day at the computer. Messed with different reading glasses, changed to bifocal contacts, etc. No longer staring at a screen 10 hours/day, and switched to contacts that take a little bit away from distance (a serve coming from the far baseline). But a great compromise as I can read a book and see distance pretty well without glasses. Life is full of changes. Keep going. 

I wear progressive lenses.  Basically I had trouble with distances 20 years ago that started the glass requirement, then as you age, you have problems close.  Anyway, about 8 years ago I had an exam and I say to the doc, " I can take my glasses off and watch TV and it is as good as or better than with the glasses on."   He stated that at a certain age your distance vision starts coming back.  It won't return to perfect but you can get away without glasses in some cases.

For sunglasses I use these.

https://cocoonseyewear.com/

I hated spending the money for a prescription pair and these come in a variety of polarized lenses.  The yellow lenses are great, especially at sunset and in snow.  The frames are guaranteed for life and you can replace the lenses.

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Why not contacts? I’d be seriously depressed if I had to wear glasses all the time. Just me, I know. Playing tennis, in the rain, fogging up, sliding down my nose. I guess it’s all what you get used to. I have a buddy who just can’t put stuff in his eyes. Daily disposable contacts are a blessing I appreciate!  Then any sunglasses work. 

I have tried contacts a few times over the last 20 years.  Apparently I have big pupils and odd shaped eyeballs.  Combined with an astigmatism, I would see the edge of the lens in low light situations and it was very annoying.  I would be fine for most of the day and then the contact would seem to be out of place.   It might be time to try again since it has been about 10 years.  Maybe they have improved the tech.

16 minutes ago, chknwing334 said:

I have tried contacts a few times over the last 20 years.  Apparently I have big pupils and odd shaped eyeballs.  Combined with an astigmatism, I would see the edge of the lens in low light situations and it was very annoying.  I would be fine for most of the day and then the contact would seem to be out of place.   It might be time to try again since it has been about 10 years.  Maybe they have improved the tech.

I don’t know if it will help your situation, but they definitely HAVE improved in recent years. I now use a daily disposable that, if it even existed, was certainly not affordable a decade ago. It’s GREAT! 

Good luck! 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I don’t know if it will help your situation, but they definitely HAVE improved in recent years. I now use a daily disposable that, if it even existed, was certainly not affordable a decade ago. It’s GREAT! 

Good luck! 

laser surgery has caused contacts to step up the game over the last decade

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Augie said:

I bet, that makes a lot of sense. 

i'm 8 years into my lasering and still rolling okay

i'd go to contacts in a second, if they were as user friendly back then I might have gone over instead of laser

9 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i'm 8 years into my lasering and still rolling okay

i'd go to contacts in a second, if they were as user friendly back then I might have gone over instead of laser

These daily disposable are fantastic! No protien build up or other gunk like the monthly type. Fresh every day and they are so delicate you have no idea they are in. The only problem was getting used to handling something so flimsy, but that only took a week or so. If anyone is considering them, it’s worth the extra cost (at least to me). 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

These daily disposable are fantastic! No protien build up or other gunk like the monthly type. Fresh every day and they are so delicate you have no idea they are in. The only problem was getting used to handling something so flimsy, but that only took a week or so. If anyone is considering them, it’s worth the extra cost (at least to me). 

well heeded advice, if i slip up into needing correction again I will go back to contacts in a jiffy

Edited by row_33