Baker Mayfield and Johnny Manziel

So recently I did a post with people comparing Jackson to Taylor so now i am hearing many people comparing Baker Mayfield to Johnny "football" Manziel

so here we go..

First and foremost note on Johnny that he just played 2 years while Baker Mayfield played 4. So it shows more consistency in a player. I think this is a huge footnote that he could prove over 4 years of production compared to 2.

Knowing this lets just show some factual statistics that show how they are different and work from here.

Baker Mayfield

CAREER STATS
SEASON CMP ATT YDS CMP% AVG LNG TD INT SACK RAT    
2017 285 404 4627 70.5 11.45 84 43 6 26 198.9    
2016 254 358 3965 71.0 11.08 88 40 8 18 196.4    
2015 269 395 3700 68.1 9.37 76 36 7 39 173.3    
2013 218 340 2315 64.1 6.81 60 12 9 24 127.7    

Notes on Baker Mayfield~

Notice after every year how much better he got. It shows that he can still improve on what he has done.. Steady stats can sometimes show that he has hit his peek.

Also notice that his last year he got sacked more often but man.. after digging more i learn that offensive line was beat up bad.

70.5% CMP is prety good 

One last note that last year he put up strong yards.

Johnny Manziel

PASSING Stats
YEAR   CMP ATT CMP YDS AVG TD LNG  SAC INT RAT

295 434 68.0 3706 8.5 26 89       21 9 155.3

300 429 69.9 4114 9.6 37 95       19 13 172.9

Notes on Johnny Manziel

Again we only have 2 years of Inf + NFL experience to guide us but lets cut out what he did in NFL and stick to what we have in front of us ok?

First thought is  CMP%.. its not exactly bad but not the best either

Next i looked at Average again.. not bad but not great either.

Differences between Johnny and Baker

For starters Ratings.. Baker Mayfield's ratings much better

Then look at INT.. The most Mayfield had was 9 and notice how those numbers went down after every year for Baker and up for Johnny..

In my opinion anyone comparing the two players are either lazy posters, didn't watch game highlights and or full games of each or just doesn't know football.

Mayfield is miles ahead of where Manziel was..

I think people were talking attitude and character and not numbers necessarily. At least that was the impression I was left with reading the boards. I think those people will probably look right past the work you did and probably still make the comparison. 

I don't think you can compare anyone to Johnny Manziel, that situation was special and he should own it alone. Even if Baker has character flaws I don't think he flames out as fast as Johnny did.

If we losing horribly and he's out there grabbing himself I could only see that as embarrassment.

Edited by Lfod

16 minutes ago, Lfod said:

I think people were talking attitude and character and not numbers necessarily. At least that was the impression I was left with reading the boards. I think those people will probably look right past the work you did and probably still make the comparison. 

I don't think you can compare anyone to Johnny Manziel, that situation was special and he should own it alone. Even if Baker has character flaws I don't think he flames out as fast as Johnny did.

If we losing horribly and he's out there grabbing himself I could only see that as embarrassment.

oh no they were talking on the field.

3 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

So recently I did a post with people comparing Jackson to Taylor so now i am hearing many people comparing Baker Mayfield to Johnny "football" Manziel

so here we go..

First and foremost note on Johnny that he just played 2 years while Baker Mayfield played 4. So it shows more consistency in a player. I think this is a huge footnote that he could prove over 4 years of production compared to 2.

Knowing this lets just show some factual statistics that show how they are different and work from here.

Baker Mayfield

CAREER STATS

Notes on Baker Mayfield~

Notice after every year how much better he got. It shows that he can still improve on what he has done.. Steady stats can sometimes show that he has hit his peek.

Also notice that his last year he got sacked more often but man.. after digging more i learn that offensive line was beat up bad.

70.5% CMP is prety good 

Johnny Manziel

PASSING Stats

Notes on Johnny Manziel

Again we only have 2 years of Inf + NFL experience to guide us but lets cut out what he did in NFL and stick to what we have in front of us ok?

Then look at INT.. The most Mayfield had was 9 and notice how those numbers went down after every year for Baker and up for Johnny..

In my opinion anyone comparing the two players are either lazy posters, didn't watch game highlights and or full games of each or just doesn't know football.

Wonder how Manziel would have done it he stayed all 4 years (and not drink and drugs) ?

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

yea I don't like adding running stats to things cause then everyone says run first qb.

He’s not even close to run first. He doesn’t really even run. Except from the cops (I kid). But manzeil ran a lot. He didn’t. Just another difference to point out. 

Just now, Jay_Fixit said:

Love QB comparisons between two different people with different backgrounds and different minds of their own.  Just love them. 

they are both short, white, from Texas, and like to troll the opposition. That’s about it. 

3 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Love QB comparisons between two different humans with different backgrounds and different minds of their own.  Just love them. 

you didn't read my post did you. I have seen MANY people on these forums compare the 2.. and not off the field, on the field. I think you should check it at the door.

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

you didn't read my post did you. I have seen MANY people on these forums compare the 2.. and not off the field, on the field. I think you should check it at the door.

I have as well, not just on this board but in the media. Guy on our local radio thinks they are too similar for the Browns to take him 

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

I would trade up for the 1st pick in the draft to get Mayfield. You don't mess around with QB's, when you know there is a good one you move up and get him. I would move heaven and earth to try and get Mayfield, he will be our franchise QB for 10 years+. 

I think that depends on how far and you have no clue along with the best pro NFL scouts in the country have a clue if he 100% going to be franchise qb.. so it depends on how high we have to go.

3 hours ago, FearLess Price said:

Its a lazy comparison really.

Wed be lucky to have Baker here but im starting to think Beane is either gonna trade up for Rosen or take Rudolph at 21.

agree

3 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Mayfield/Manziel

Jackson/Watson

Darnold/Palmer

Rosen/Rob Johnson

Allen/Gabbert

Rudolph/idk...Tony Pike? Ryan Mallett? Ryan Nassib?

Fuel for everyone's agenda machine.

you hit it there..

3 hours ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Very lazy comparison.

Manziel has some serious mental health and substance abuse issues. 

We really don't know how good he could have been. 

This isn't the 80s, cocaine and the NFL don't mix. 

Lol didn't no it mixed well in the 80's either but I hear ya.

• 1 month later...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/johnny-manziel-definitely-emotional-about-spring-league-debut-wants-another-nfl-shot/

The issue has never been with Manziel's on-field ability but his struggles to avoid trouble off the field. He now says those days are behind him. In a conversation with SI.com's Bruce Feldman last month Manziel conceded that he has to prove that he's changed.

"When I first got in the league, did I have some leeway? Sure I did, but I have exhausted all leeway and all second chances," Manziel said. "This isn't the second chance. This is the 35th chance.

I think issue has been partly his on-field ability as well.

https://imgur.com/gallery/7f2uaUS

On 3/8/2018 at 1:36 AM, PrimeTime101 said:

so here we go..

Baker Mayfield

CAREER STATS

Notes on Baker Mayfield~

70.5% CMP is prety good 

Johnny Manziel

PASSING Stats

Notes on Johnny Manziel

Both are cocky, short, white Qbs from Texas.  Both made news by getting into trouble at another University before there final seasons.  Both played in a spread offense and would run around to make plays.  Neither tested out as premier athletes.  Manziel in the end had an addiction problem.  That was accelerated by not being able to start for a poor football team.  Mayfield has good qualities but ingoring the similarities to Manziel is not wise either.