Rotoworld- Giants leaning away from QB @ #2

Rotoworld FootballVerified account @Rotoworld_FB
FollowFollow @Rotoworld_FB
Report: Giants leaning away from QB at No. 2

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports "the pendulum is swinging away from" the Giants selecting a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick.

The Giants seem committed to Eli Manning, and they have the roster for a quick turnaround if they can land an impact player at the top of the draft or, better yet, trade down and grab a couple. If the Giants stay put, Raanan mentions Penn State RB Saquon Barkley and Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson as options at No. 2. Either would fill a big need.
Edited by Reed83HOF

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Rotoworld FootballVerified account @Rotoworld_FB
FollowFollow @Rotoworld_FB
Report: Giants leaning away from QB at No. 2

ESPN's Jordan Raanan reports "the pendulum is swinging away from" the Giants selecting a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick.

The Giants seem committed to Eli Manning, and they have the roster for a quick turnaround if they can land an impact player at the top of the draft or, better yet, trade down and grab a couple. If the Giants stay put, Raanan mentions Penn State RB Saquon Barkley and Notre Dame OG Quenton Nelson as options at No. 2. Either would fill a big need.

Just some guy with an opinion.  I would pay far closer attention if he quoted someone inside the Giants' FO.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Just some guy with an opinion.  I would pay far closer attention if he quoted someone inside the Giants' FO.

What I hate about Roto is that they give you a quick line with zero context...Plus it is everything we already know - Barkley and BIG OL will be a great choice @2 for them. We also know that they may be willing to trade down to get a few extra picks to shore up their spotty roster.

I know we have been talking about giving a bunch of picks to NYG, but I wonder if we might need to make a trade to move into the close to 10 with one 1st and a 2nd this year (or next year's first & this years 3rd - like KC & us). Give NYG pick that 10-ish plus 21 & Glenn, might be a bit more appetizing for them... 

13 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Been thinking this for a while. #2 is a valuable pick to use on the future when you could realistically have 3 more years of Manning. Lots of good players to take with #2. 

If they want to make one more run with him, they need players quickly & don't have a ton of cap space ~$23/$24 million. Give them 2 picks in rd 1, Glenn (huge need) & whatever else isn't too bad for them really and gets them more primed for a shot before he goes and gives them some good talent after he goes.

They are also at the top of RD2 (#34). That is a lot of top picks to get better in a hurry...

Since I live in South NY (DUH) it's all Giants and Jets fans.

Every single Giants fan I know wants Barkley or a big OL with the #2 pick.

They are all ready to storm the Giants HQ with pitchforks and torches if they trade #2 away.

Hopefully they do trade it to us, and make them all mad ?

5 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

They're absolutely taking Barkley at #2. Maybe they fall in love with Guice or Michel or Chubb or Jones at #21 or #22 and take another OL but I'm starting to think we need to be hounding the Colts at #3 to take our QB

Based on what he did at the combine, they may not have the opportunity to take Barkley at #2.  I think he's going to the Browns #1 overall and that they just come around with the #4 pick and take one of the QB's that's still available.  Barkley is a once in a decade player where the QB's are not, IMO.

20 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The question is what are they gonna want for that pick......

Rosen is probably going to be a franchise guy

It's gonna be expensive because at this point all the high ceiling QB's are expected to go in the top 7-8.  As discussed recently probably a quantity of seven picks or so with at least three 1st's and three 2nd's for somebody like us who has picks down in the 20's to start. Of course things could change now with the combine gone by and a prospect making a misstep.  If the feeling changes that one or more of the big 4 drop past 10 then our cost drops dramatically.  We should be able to get to 11 or 12 with just our 1st's with maybe a tad bit of sweetening.

8 minutes ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

They're absolutely taking Barkley at #2. Maybe they fall in love with Guice or Michel or Chubb or Jones at #21 or #22 and take another OL but I'm starting to think we need to be hounding the Colts at #3 to take our QB

The Brown's are taking Barkley with 1 and it would take a whopper of a trade to convince them not to.

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

If they want to make one more run with him, they need players quickly & don't have a ton of cap space ~$23/$24 million. Give them 2 picks in rd 1, Glenn (huge need) & whatever else isn't too bad for them really and gets them more primed for a shot before he goes and gives them some good talent after he goes.

They are also at the top of RD2 (#34). That is a lot of top picks to get better in a hurry...

I don't hate the idea, though I prefer Mayfield in the 7-10 region over Rosen (or anyone) at 2. Just my personal opinion. 

Also, I think the Giants are a really unique situation that we don't see often. This is a team that was viewed as a contender before the season and then some combination of horrible coaching/management, injuries, and just not being as good as they were believed to be had them end up as one of the worst teams in the league. My point being, obviously we saw a terrible product on the field, but the team itself is largely still the one that 9 months ago we thought was a good team. So the question needs to be asked of how bad the actual core of this team really is and how much coaching alone is going to improve it. 

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Since I live in South NY (DUH) it's all Giants and Jets fans.

Every single Giants fan I know wants Barkley or a big OL with the #2 pick.

They are all ready to storm the Giants HQ with pitchforks and torches if they trade #2 away.

Hopefully they do trade it to us, and make them all mad ?

Imagine that.  A non-Bills fan base that is ready to storm the castle if they don't get their way.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, RochesterRob said:

It's gonna be expensive because at this point all the high ceiling QB's are expected to go in the top 7-8.  As discussed recently probably a quantity of seven picks or so with at least three 1st's and three 2nd's for somebody like us who has picks down in the 20's to start. Of course things could change now with the combine gone by and a prospect making a misstep.  If the feeling changes that one or more of the big 4 drop past 10 then our cost drops dramatically.  We should be able to get to 11 or 12 with just our 1st's with maybe a tad bit of sweetening.

The Brown's are taking Barkley with 1 and it would take a whopper of a trade to convince them not to.

I think that's the smartest move for them

That guarantees them their pick of choice of any QB they want, unless the Giants and or colts trade they're picks to QB needy teams, even then they will still have a great choice

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

It will likely take for the Bills to move up pretty high while retaining either 21 or 22. Package both firsts with a first next year and a player(Glenn) and we might, MIGHT be able to get to 2 or 3.

Its not going to be easy, but if Beane really loves a guy at the QB position I think he can get it done.

Theres no way we will ever be able to get to 2 with the current draft position.

The draft chart stuff has to be so fluid based on the talent pool of the draft. Some years there is only 3 players that stand out as can't miss, some there are 10. This year it seems like 3 or 5 super star guys and the rest of the draft from 5 to around pick 30 seems really close based on the talent pool. 

2 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Imagine that.  A non-Bills fan base that is ready to storm the castle if they don't get their way.

Right?

Giants fans are whiny though.

They've got two Superbowl wins from Eli.

They should relax.

The Jets fans are just angry mobs down here though, going to bills-jets games here is freaking crazy.

1 minute ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The draft chart stuff has to be so fluid based on the talent pool of the draft. Some years there is only 3 players that stand out as can't miss, some there are 10. This year it seems like 3 or 5 super star guys and the rest of the draft from 5 to around pick 30 seems really close based on the talent pool. 

This seems like a super deep first round, but not much after that

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

I don't hate the idea, though I prefer Mayfield in the 7-10 region over Rosen (or anyone) at 2. Just my personal opinion. 

Also, I think the Giants are a really unique situation that we don't see often. This is a team that was viewed as a contender before the season and then some combination of horrible coaching/management, injuries, and just not being as good as they were believed to be had them end up as one of the worst teams in the league. My point being, obviously we saw a terrible product on the field, but the team itself is largely still the one that 9 months ago we thought was a good team. So the question needs to be asked of how bad the actual core of this team really is and how much coaching alone is going to improve it. 

The Giants could take Glenn get these picks and possibly even sign Norwell (their OL has sucked for a few seasons) plus add some top draft talent...Can make an easy case for them to move back and be able to make a big change in a hurry; some older vets plus a influx of young talent...