Rotoworld- Giants leaning away from QB @ #2

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I would love Vita as well and if we took a QB last year, we could have gone after him this year. At some point, you have to get this done and you will lose out on other good players - C'est la vie...

I do not see us taking Jackson, as I am not sure he fits what Beane looks for in a QB (copied from another thread)

Here are the top things Beane looks for from 3-4 different interviews:

1.) If you're a GM, you have to have a franchise QB

2.) Leadership abilities

3.) Throw from the pocket

4.) Accuracy from the pocket very important - tighter windows

5.) Arm Strength - love it, can improve it a bit

6.) Stand in there - trust his reads, make the throws

7.) NFL too fast & different for sandlot football

8.) Good size - not worried about lineman in their face

We'll talk to some of their teammates who were with them for several years in college, we'll talk to people back at their high school. We'll do anything and everything to really know who this person is, what makes them tick as a person, and obviously we'll get into the X's and O's. Does he work hard in the film room? Does he understand what he's seeing? What has he been though? What's the system he's been in? Has he audibled plays? Does he call the plays out in the huddle? Does this guy take snaps from center? All of those things you have to go through, and we're basically just building a library on each player."

As they should...you make your own destiny

Anything GM's say right now could be smoke.....he also made references to him being like Cam Newton.

I also heard a press clip from Beane where he talked about having "balance" when it came to the QB.....ability to stand in there and throw AND not be a statue

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Anything GM's say right now could be smoke.....he also made references to him being like Cam Newton.

I also heard a press clip from Beane where he talked about having "balance" when it came to the QB.....ability to stand in there and throw AND not be a statue

I pulled the info from interviews during May 217, July 2017 and Jan 2018 and he has been fairly consistent...

He always makes references to Cam - Jackson is not Cam, especially size-wise, well maybe one of Cam's leg's...

I'm at work and a bit busy, but am curious to breakdown what QBs fit this mold. Quick guesses are Darnold, Rosen, and Allen...

Edited by Reed83HOF

Just now, Reed83HOF said:

I pulled the info from interviews during May 217, July 2017 and Jan 2018 and he has been fairly consistent...

He always makes references to Cam - Jackson is not Cam, especially size-wise, well maybe one of Cam's leg's...

So because they are not the same size they dont have the same strengths on the field?

And like I said....cant really take anything these gms say right now as gospel.....the only thing I see is the barely written stuff like El Pegula being in on all the QB meetings.  The me THAT is actual fire.

Just now, John from Riverside said:

So because they are not the same size they dont have the same strengths on the field?

And like I said....cant really take anything these gms say right now as gospel.....the only thing I see is the barely written stuff like El Pegula being in on all the QB meetings.  The me THAT is actual fire.

Jackson's weaknesses:

Inaccurate - Accuracy isn't great (never hit 60%) 
Thin frame
Needs to get stronger for the NFL
Poor footwork, which leads to inaccuracy
Too much of one of the guys; could stand to be more of a leader

Accuracy seems to be important to Bean and I think that with his thin frame causes an issue for a long-term franchise guy. I intentionally looked at a few articles that were not near draft time (May & July 2017) to remove smoke screen bias, Bean has been fairly consistent with his recent interviews (Jan 2018).

Terry was also high on Mitchell last year and I am expecting that him being involved is like anyone in business would do, before making a transformational move, the boss has to be on board...

53 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If Gettleman is smart, he does the opposite of the last regime...

....and Casserly on NFLN chimed in that Gettleman taking a QB at 2 (ie. Rosen) would be "a wasted pick for someone to sit behind Eli for two years".....

4 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....and Casserly on NFLN chimed in that Gettleman taking a QB at 2 (ie. Rosen) would be "a wasted pick for someone to sit behind Eli for two years".....

If you think about the picks they will get, provided they hit with them of course, they could re-shape the rest of that team. They could get another run or 2 in with Eli or at the very least when he is done, do their own trade up to grab a QB and have a good core of young talent already to go....

I just think a trade down from the Giants makes too much sense. They have a good team. Their coach was terrible last year and their best player got hurt. Their offensive line is awful. Take Cordy Glenn, 21, 22. Sign Andrew Norwell, draft James Daniels or Will  Hernandez or whatever, suddenly your line is fixed. They also are transitioning to a 3-4 defense with holes in some places. Trade down, get the left tackle and fill in the gaps and this team could easily be a Super Bowl contender. Nelson could be an elite player, but the Giants have elite players, they need depth above all else.  

It's probably wishful thinking on my part because I want Rosen so badly, but it seems to be the best course of action for the Giants. I think the Beane-Gettleman connection helps. For them, drafting their future quarterback makes no sense at this point. The last team to really do this quarterback grooming thing right was the Packers. They did not have 100 holes all over their team and they had an elite prospect fall in their laps. The Giants need not force the issue. They need to trade down and try to win a Super Bowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

If you think about the picks they will get, provided they hit with them of course, they could re-shape the rest of that team. They could get another run or 2 in with Eli or at the very least when he is done, do their own trade up to grab a QB and have a good core of young talent already to go....

...certainly agree....they could overhaul the porous OL AND return to a formidable running game like the days of da Fuhrer Coughlin all in one draft just for starters......

5 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

They're absolutely taking Barkley at #2. Maybe they fall in love with Guice or Michel or Chubb or Jones at #21 or #22 and take another OL but I'm starting to think we need to be hounding the Colts at #3 to take our QB

The more I see Barkley now after the combine the more I think Cleveland takes him number 1. They can have one of the top 4 QBs at 4. I think they burst the Giants bubble at two and hopefully Beane swoops in with his old buddy Gettleman and offers what it will take to get our boy whoever the hell he is.

If the Giants are committed to Eli, it is not shocking at all that they would do something else with the #2 pick versus drafting Eli's eventual successor.  If I were their GM, my choice would be Barkley or trade down.  As good as Nelson is, you don't draft a guard with the second overall pick.

If the Giants are committed to Eli, it is not shocking at all that they would do something else with the #2 pick versus drafting Eli's eventual successor.  If I were their GM, my choice would be Barkley or trade down.  As good as Nelson is, you don't draft a guard with the second overall pick.

• Haha (+1) 1