LSU WR DJ Chark - a player to keep an eye on (Update: Pre-draft visit 4/9)

Expected to go round 2, Chark has both size and speed. He also has the “DNA” I believe McD looks for. His player profile is very similar to Tre White. He elected to wear the coveted #7 on offense at LSU similar to how Tre wore the #18. He apppears to be the leader type that McD loves. He fills a need at WR with his speed, has the size that Beane seems to like, and would mesh with our current group with KB on other side, Zay in slot. 

Beane was asked if he ever talks to current players about draft prospects and he said he actually just talked to Tre White about someone recently... I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s him. Many times personnel evaluators want to talk to a player who practiced against the guy to get a feel for his strengths, weaknesses, techniques. The Bills also have his former teammate Malachi Dupree on the PS.

Chark played in the Sr Bowl, similar to most of the Bills draft picks last year. I also found it interesting that the Bills met with Derrius Guice at the combine, someone they probably won’t have a chance to get as he’s a 1st rounder. Maybe to learn about his co-captain. 

LSU bios

Chark

Wore No. 7 in both 2016 and 2017 after wearing No. 82 during his first two seasons with the Tigers … Voted permanent team captain for the offense for the 2017 season as well as being named the Percy E. Roberts Offensive Player of the Year for the Tigers along with Derrius Guice.

White

2016 permanent team captain ...

Wore the coveted No. 18 jersey as both a junior and senior … The No. 18 is synonymous with success – both on and off the field – as well as a selfless attitude that has become the epitome of being an LSU football player

Chark draft profile 

Strengths

Has desired combination of size and speed. Acceleration is smooth and sudden. Can run away from people without even trying. Convincing salesman on first leg of his double moves. Flashed explosive potential with ten touchdowns on just 86 career touches while seeing 36 percent of his catches go for 25-plus yards. Build-up speed and long strides create winning separation on West Coast routes. Double moves leave defenders off-balance and stumbling. Can gather, sink and open to quarterback quickly on comebacks. Quality punt returner. Works in the middle and is unintimidated by hitters. Body control for late adjustments is adequate. Willing to work as a blocker.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2018/profiles/d.j.-chark?id=2559915

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Bills Detective said:

If the Bills trade up into the top 4 for a QB, hopefully this DJ Chark will still be available in the 2nd round.  Of course, that will depend on whether or not Beane gave up one of their 2018 2nd round picks to move up into the top 4.

He will definitely be there in the 2nd... WR positional value is low right now given what has happened with 1st rd WRs the last couple years 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Chark is a really good player and offers return ability as well. He had combine-invitee Danny Etling throwing him the ball!! If you want to see Chark at his best watch the game against Auburn. He was sensational (and the single biggest reason for the comeback).

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Very interesting!  I haven't seen this stat before - any idea if this has been done for previous draft classes?  I'd love to see how well it correlates to NFL success.

Just now, Cash said:

Very interesting!  I haven't seen this stat before - any idea if this has been done for previous draft classes?  I'd love to see how well it correlates to NFL success.

I don’t know but I will look. I also thought it was interesting and something that would be taken into account by scouts 

I’ve mentioned this before that while a lot of the focus after QB has been on the def front 7 for the Bills in the draft, i truly feel that WR is the 2nd biggest need in the draft. The reason is that I think the Bills will have a much easier time filling holes in defense in FA than they will the WR position. Not only is the FA pool very thin at WR, the chances of a decent WR signing in Buffalo with the QB situation, without massively overpaying, are low. I think that’s why they committed valuable draft resources to Zay last year (trade up in 2nd) and KB this year (trading this year’s 3rd) to rebuild that group. I would not be surprised to see a 2nd used on a WR again this year. 

I still think they will address the front 7 in both FA and draft but I could see more FA dollars placed toward that than WR and don’t see an issue in attracting those guys with our defensive coaching staff. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

3 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

Great thread. Thank you. Was severely underused at LSU - which has had the worst QBs ever. He was the reason LSU upset Auburn. But will he last till the 2nd round?

It is really hard to judge LSU WR production in recent years because of their QBs and offense. But NFL traits are there. I actually predict no more than 1 WR goes in the 1st (Ridley). I think he will be there in the 2nd. I don’t think the Bills will move heaven and earth to get him because this a deep (if not top heavy) draft for WRs. I think he’s great option where we pick though.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It is really hard to judge LSU WR production in recent years because of their QBs and offense. But NFL traits are there. I actually predict no more than 1 WR goes in the 1st (Ridley). I think he will be there in the 2nd. I don’t think the Bills will move heaven and earth to get him because this a deep (if not top heavy) draft for WRs. I think he’s great option where we pick though.

I really like Chark and Cedrick Wilson as WR's... However, Danny Etling, and Brett Rypien deserve at least some rcognition for this production as well...

Etling, IMO, is a day-3 steal in this draft.. Rypien, is playing another year at BSU, but the kid has played some great football.