Billy Price tore his pec at combine; out 4 months following surgery

15 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s a guard, who can play center

Both are more athletic and can get to the second level better than Price can.  They both use their hands well.  I'd take those players ahead of Price at the center spot especially now that he has a length recovery time for his injury.

6 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It will be interesting to see how far he drops. I think he was a late 1st-early 2nd to begin with so I’ll say he could fall to the 3rd. What a steal for someone (hopefully us). He can play RG, LG, C.

I think if we want him, then we have to take him no later than #56. I just do not see that talent falling to #96, unless there are more long-term or serious implications to the injury that have not been made public. 

A colleague at work tore his pec in the middle pretty bad and required surgery.  He got it sewed up and had his arm immobilized in a sling for a few months.  Took him over a year to fully come back.  You can sew muscle to a limited extent if you include the fascial tissue around the outside.  I'll ask him how it's doing strength-wise as it's been 18 months.

Sounds like a minor tear for Price, but I would worry about him coming back too soon and tearing it again.  His profession will put a lot of stress on it.

As far as bench press and lifting weights in general, in my 48 years I have learned that good form and controlling the weight trumps pretty much everything.  The times I have gotten injured is from careless lifting of (and racing through) lighter weight or struggling and seriously compromising good form to lift heavy weight.

Of course, with age you start to realize certain lifts hurt too much and to find alternatives.  Any curling I do is strictly on a preacher bench.

24 minutes ago, JohnBonhamRocks said:

I think if we want him, then we have to take him no later than #56. I just do not see that talent falling to #96, unless there are more long-term or serious implications to the injury that have not been made public. 

The sick irony for him is that he is the most durable player in Ohio State Buckeye history! He never missed a game in 4 years. He started 55 straight games. So maybe that plus his film plus the short term nature of the injury, along with position versatility on the OL  keeps him in the 2nd. The other piece is that OL out of OSU particularly since urban’s arrival have not only been very good in the nfl, they have been good right out of the gate.

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The sick irony for him is that he is the most durable player in Ohio State Buckeye history! He never missed a game in 4 years. He started 55 straight games. So maybe that plus his film plus the short term nature of the injury, along with position versatility on the OL  keeps him in the 2nd. The other piece is that OL out of OSU particularly since urban’s arrival have not only been very good in the nfl, they have been good right out of the gate.

Definitely sucks and the timing is pretty bad for his draft status.

However, given that the time out of 4 months is not all that long, combined with what you said about being very good out of the gate, I don't think it will bump him too far down in the draft. 

On 3/1/2018 at 8:57 PM, kdiggz said:

As some of you may know I had the same injury last year. Barbell flat bench is a dirty tramp. Stay away. If you workout, do dumbbell incline and fly's instead. They need to stop making guys do flat bench at the combine. It's an injury waiting to happen. There's other things you can do to test strength like pushing the sled. Maybe hook up some sensors and bring the combine into the 21st century. The only thing flat bench for reps tests is how often you focus on flat bench for reps in the weight room.

Didn't know you suffered the same injury. I don't even want to think about how it felt, but moreso, the amount of time to walk around one-armed, and then to heal and recover.  I know it's in hindsight, but I hope u had a full recovery man.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

Didn't know you suffered the same injury. I don't even want to think about how it felt, but moreso, the amount of time to walk around one-armed, and then to heal and recover.  I know it's in hindsight, but I hope u had a full recovery man.  

Thanks bro. Appreciate it. Starting to feel back to my old self again a year later but I have a nice scar as a reminder. When it tore it sounded like velcro ripping and I was like woah was that me? Then it swelled up like a balloon. Bad memories but that's life, stuff happens!

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Thanks bro. Appreciate it. Starting to feel back to my old self again a year later but I have a nice scar as a reminder. When it tore it sounded like velcro ripping and I was like woah was that me? Then it swelled up like a balloon. Bad memories but that's life, stuff happens!

JEEEEEZZ LOUISE OMFG!!!!  

I woulda been like the boy in Stand By Me when he pulled the bloody, swollen leech out of his underwear....eyes roll right to the back of my head, promptly pass right out! 

• Haha (+1) 1