Brownies willing to trade #1

31 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

Patience. We are still a couple years away. They won't say it, but they are committed to a longer process. Step 1 is to try to get a QB that can take us to the top. We aren't going to win the SB in 2018.

I agree. They have to be. With a few (failed) exceptions like Losman and EJ, It’s been 20 years of slapping a band aid on the QB position and trying to win with the run game and defense. It only gets you so far, and for so long.

4 hours ago, kdiggz said:

Why are you against having a franchise QB? The Rams weren't against it when they went all out for Goff

Rams already had a boatload of young defensive talent that had grown into a very good defense.  Defense was all young and several young offensive pieces including the amazing Todd Gurley.  

They also brought in Sammy Watkins and Robert Woods.  

The Rams are. VERY talented team courtesy of many years of drafting in the top of each round and aided by being on the winning end of the Robert Griffin trade.

Don’t kid yourself, Goff was a more a missing piece than “the guy” that carried a weak supporting cast to great performance.  Don’t discount the positive impact that Gurley had as the 2nd leading rusher with 1300 yards, 13 TDS, and 4.7 yards per carry.  If the QB can’t thrive with that support, he is on life support.

The Bills are a much older (and expensive) and less talented team than the Rams were when they traded up for Goff.

Briefly turn your attention to Wentz and the Eagles - clearly they were VERY talented and well-coached to have been able to make their way through a stacked NFC playoffs to win the Super Bowl with a backup QB.

1 hour ago, GreggTX said:

It's amazing how many Bills fans don't want us to shoot for the stars, but would happily overpay a vet qb that is only marginally better thanTT. Some want us to get rid of Glenn and Hughes or let a backup caliber player be our next starting C.  I want the Lombardi Trophy and we'll never get there if we keep aiming for 'just OK'. Good point kdiggz. I agree 100%.

The fear on this board is real. This fear philosophy will keep us at 6-11 - 8-8 for another 10 years.

Patience. We are still a couple years away. They won't say it, but they are committed to a longer process. Step 1 is to try to get a QB that can take us to the top. We aren't going to win the SB in 2018.

But who is that QB?  This is a deep class of QBs, but that doesn’t mean that just any of the top rated QBs are going to be good.

if they aren’t convinced that Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield or Allen are nearly certain to be at least very good starters, then trading that much to get one of them is foolish.

I think it might be better to sit tight and see who falls out of the top of the draft.  If they think one of the remaining guys is worth going up for then (for less than the cost to get into top 5), then go ahead.  If they move up, they need to think that guy can carry a team, because there is a good chance you could trade a lot to move up for Andy Dalton, Alex Smith or much worse.

i don’t think any of us know which of these QB, if any, will become a super star who can carry a less talented team to success.

Edited by OldTimer1960
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Ok BIG freaking deal. 

Guess the COACH already admitted to that essentially 

There are only two QBs in this draft I trade up for. 

Rosen and Darnold. 

The rest I trade one of our 1sts to try and get another 2019 1st seeing everyonr wants to continually kick the can on QB down the road gotta load up on Future Draft Captial too

I think we can get a franchise QB in this draft, it is a good class. I don't think we need to trade up into the top 5 to get one though. 

It's amazing how many Bills fans don't want us to shoot for the stars, but would happily overpay a vet qb that is only marginally better thanTT. Some want us to get rid of Glenn and Hughes or let a backup caliber player be our next starting C.  I want the Lombardi Trophy and we'll never get there if we keep aiming for 'just OK'. Good point kdiggz. I agree 100%.

McVay made the Rams successful not Goff. Goff still has some pretty serious limitations and it showed in the playoffs. He had a superbowl supporting cast around him and a very good coach. I still think the offensive coordinator is just as important as the QB, look what Foles did in the playoffs. I want a franchise QB in this draft and I think we will get one. This is a stacked QB class, I just don't think you need to mortgage the future by trading into the top three. 

If we want to trade up we should be moving into the 5-10 range, that way we don't lose our second round picks this year. 

If I had a QB graded as high as Carson Wentz I would consider trading into the top three. I just don't see a huge amount of separation between the top 3 in this class. One of them is going to fall down the board. Good GMs put value on a player and don't over pay. 

1 hour ago, billspro said:

I think we can get a franchise QB in this draft, it is a good class. I don't think we need to trade up into the top 5 to get one though. 

McVay made the Rams successful not Goff. Goff still has some pretty serious limitations and it showed in the playoffs. He had a superbowl supporting cast around him and a very good coach. I still think the offensive coordinator is just as important as the QB, look what Foles did in the playoffs. I want a franchise QB in this draft and I think we will get one. This is a stacked QB class, I just don't think you need to mortgage the future by trading into the top three. 

If we want to trade up we should be moving into the 5-10 range, that way we don't lose our second round picks this year. 

If I had a QB graded as high as Carson Wentz I would consider trading into the top three. I just don't see a huge amount of separation between the top 3 in this class. One of them is going to fall down the board. Good GMs put value on a player and don't over pay. 

Ok I dont i think there are 2-3 Franchise type QBs in this class and a lot of Andy Dalton types 

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Rams already had a boatload of young defensive talent that had grown into a very good defense.  Defense was all young and several young offensive pieces including the amazing Todd Gurley.  

The Rams are. VERY talented team courtesy of many years of drafting in the top of each round and aided by being on the winning end of the Robert Griffin trade.

Don’t kid yourself, Goff was a more a missing piece than “the guy” that carried a weak supporting cast to great performance.  Don’t discount the positive impact that Gurley had as the 2nd leading rusher with 1300 yards, 13 TDS, and 4.7 yards per carry.  If the QB can’t thrive with that support, he is on life support.

The Bills are a much older (and expensive) and less talented team than the Rams were when they traded up for Goff.

Briefly turn your attention to Wentz and the Eagles - clearly they were VERY talented and well-coached to have been able to make their way through a stacked NFC playoffs to win the Super Bowl with a backup QB.

We beat the Rams. Rams weren't any better off than us. They added all of those receivers AFTER they already had their QB. It was a 2 year process to get to where they are now. Put Goff and those receivers on our team and give them Tyrod and we beat them easy. There's no way you can look at the Rams roster and think they have it all figured out. They just added a franchise QB and that's the difference

2 hours ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Shady had better numbers in 2016.  Someone better intubate TT STAT.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, kdiggz said:

We beat the Rams. Rams weren't any better off than us. They added all of those receivers AFTER they already had their QB. It was a 2 year process to get to where they are now. Put Goff and those receivers on our team and give them Tyrod and we beat them easy. There's no way you can look at the Rams roster and think they have it all figured out. They just added a franchise QB and that's the difference

No question that they finished off the WR position after they had gotten Goff, but my point is that the Rams had been collecting serious talent for more than 2 years prior to them taking off in Goff's 2nd year.

Here is a link to the Rams' depth chart.  The numbers to the right of the player names are the year/round acquired in the draft.  Other means of acquisition are also identified.

7 of their 22 starters were drafted in round 1 by them.  Another 6 of their starters were drafted by them in the 2nd or 3rd round.  They also added Watkins via trade (former 1st rounder acquired for a 2nd).  Hava a look - it is a really impressive roster.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthchart/LAR

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Actually just do your package and get to 2nd. Thats as far as you need to get for Rosen IMO.

I’m pretty convinced the Browns aren’t taking Rosen. But you can have the trade ready to go contingent on Rosen being there at 2. If he’s not, you try to have another trade ready to go perhaps for your next guy (Mayfield)? And it may not need to be to 2. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m pretty convinced the Browns aren’t taking Rosen. But you can have the trade ready to go contingent on Rosen being there at 2. If he’s not, you try to have another trade ready to go perhaps for your next guy (Mayfield)? And it may not need to be to 2. 

Yeah Exactly i think Browns will go Darnold 1. 

or take mayfield at 4. 

So 2nd is the TGT location to get too and think the Giants will do a deal.