Panthers releasing S Kurt Coleman, DE Charles Johnson

YoloinOhio

McD still went after Tre Boston last year even with Hyde and Poyer in the mix. He may not be as aggressive this year to add another S after seeing how well both played, but we will see. KC may be more valuable to the Bills than other teams due to his knowledge of the D. Plus we are very thin at the position depth-wise. All depends on his asking price. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, thebandit27 said:

He's done IMO--3 years ago that'd be a big yes, but not anymore

Yeah, you're probably right... But someone who knows the system at a low contract as a rotational body probably doesn't hurt. I can't help but think that the Eagles just proved you can't have too many fresh bodies. I guess the determining factor will be whether or not he is a "fresh" body. 

It seems to me that the entire CAR D took a step back under Wilks... Am I mistaken on that? 

5 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Yeah, you're probably right... But someone who knows the system at a low contract as a rotational body probably doesn't hurt. I can't help but think that the Eagles just proved you can't have too many fresh bodies. I guess the determining factor will be whether or not he is a "fresh" body. 

It seems to me that the entire CAR D took a step back under Wilks... Am I mistaken on that? 

In some areas, yes.  In others not so much.

Run D stayed fairly similar - 3.9 YPC allowed in 2016 vs 4.0 in 2017

Pass D went from allowing 7.5 YPA with 47 sacks in 2016 to 7.2 with 50 sacks in 2017

Biggest difference was that they took the ball away more in 2016 than in 2017.

As to EDGE rushers; this is simply a tough year to need one.  The team is probably better off trying to improve their interior and hope that Shaq/Hughes can reap the benefits of more inside pressure and trying to upgrade next offseason than tearing it apart; too many other areas of need to create new ones right now.  Of course, you're still looking at big needs on the interior of the OL and at WR next offseason, so they'll have to be smart about how they upgrade "secondary" needs right now--the way they handle positions like CB, LB, and backup RB will tell you a lot about how forward thinking they are with their approach to asset allocation.