Any Other Vinyl Collectors Here?

T&C

Been into it since the early 80's... mainly Psych, Rock, and really anything that sounds good. The 60's and 70's are my favorite time period, especially the one album wonders, Mainstream label for example. Whaddaya into?

When I was a kid I joined one of those "music clubs" or whatever where you got like 10 albums up front for 10 cents or something crazy, but then had to buy an album a month for year or something like that?  I joined just to get the albums and then quit the thing after.

I don't remember exactly how old I was but I think I was still single digits, like 9 at the oldest.

One of the albums I ordered was Led Zeppelin IV and I will always remember listening to the music while checking out the unusual album design, and the photos of the wallpaper peeling off an old house or whatever that stuff is on IV!

Good memories! 

Vinyl is the best.

• Like (+1) 1

I also still have my old vinyl.  Mostly 60's and early 70's.   About 68 I started taping whatever I had to reel to reel because I hated to hear the records skip when there was any kind of disturbance.   A fair number of my later albums are therefore rather pristine.

• Like (+1) 1

Have a good sized collection. ~600 records. Was gifted a nice collection of well cared for good quality music recently as well. Will never let them go. I love looking at the covers artwork, they bring back a lot of memories. Have to admit I don't have a decent record player right now and have them put away in cardboard boxes. Glad I saw this post, gonna motivate me to get a player. 

• Like (+1) 1

right here!  I treated myself to a Rega this past year.  Nothing rocks like vinyl!

5 hours ago, The Poojer said:

Here's my collection of pieces of vinyl

IMG_20180225_192837.thumb.jpg.773a9de44249f8699240994c794a288c.jpg

I wish I could read those titles.  I am always fascinated by what people have in their bookcase and vinyl bins!

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Have a good sized collection. ~600 records. Was gifted a nice collection of well cared for good quality music recently as well. Will never let them go. I love looking at the covers artwork, they bring back a lot of memories. Have to admit I don't have a decent record player right now and have them put away in cardboard boxes. Glad I saw this post, gonna motivate me to get a player. 

600 is a good size... I think I'm down to that from 10K+ when I did it for a living, sold a big chunk in bulk. Ebay used to be great but now it's not even a shadow of what it once was... they went commercial and stopped the money order/check payments and so I left them.

I say 600 or so but these are the babes, no junk in there imo... but, I do have 6 big boxes of "gone through, don't want" that I'd give away to anyone who wants to haul them off.

For anyone serious about vinyl... I bought one close to this one maybe 18 years ago or so. Well worth the money and easy to maintain. Will clean your dirty ass albums like nothing else... I make my own version of the fluid, the basis is  Distilled water... and other minor things. This is a life saver if you are a vinyl fan:

• Like (+1) 1

I have a Rega P2 with the Bias 2 cartridge option and have been thinking about trying to sell it.  I almost never use it and with a recent upgrade of my receiver, I would need to buy a separate phono pre-amp.  It is more decoration than anything else at this point.  If I had a the room to set it up properly I would be more likely to use it.

3 hours ago, T&C said:

600 is a good size... I think I'm down to that from 10K+ when I did it for a living, sold a big chunk in bulk. Ebay used to be great but now it's not even a shadow of what it once was... they went commercial and stopped the money order/check payments and so I left them.

I say 600 or so but these are the babes, no junk in there imo... but, I do have 6 big boxes of "gone through, don't want" that I'd give away to anyone who wants to haul them off.

For anyone serious about vinyl... I bought one close to this one maybe 18 years ago or so. Well worth the money and easy to maintain. Will clean your dirty ass albums like nothing else... I make my own version of the fluid, the basis is  Distilled water... and other minor things. This is a life saver if you are a vinyl fan:

I don't suppose you are near SE PA/Philly area?

Well considering my tagline is "I Love Vinyl" I figured I'd jump in!

Got into it back in August. I have the $300 Audio-Technica professional fully manual turntable. Stock currently, minus an upgraded cork mat for the platter.

Zeppelin 1 through Physical Graffiti

Pink Floyd Dark Side/WYWH/Meddle/Animals

Buckingham-Nicks (pre-Fleetwood; amazing album)

A few My Morning Jacket albums

The entire Hamilton soundtrack.

A couple Santana's

Smashing Pumpkins Gish

Both Fleet Foxes albums

AC/DC High Voltage

Black Crowes and Chris Robinson Brotherhood records

And on and on......

I clean them using the distilled water/natural cleaner/alcohol method. Makes a huge difference.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/26/2018 at 12:44 PM, Seasons1992 said:

Well considering my tagline is "I Love Vinyl" I figured I'd jump in!

Got into it back in August. I have the $300 Audio-Technica professional fully manual turntable. Stock currently, minus an upgraded cork mat for the platter.

Zeppelin 1 through Physical Graffiti

Pink Floyd Dark Side/WYWH/Meddle/Animals

Buckingham-Nicks (pre-Fleetwood; amazing album)

A few My Morning Jacket albums

The entire Hamilton soundtrack.

A couple Santana's

Smashing Pumpkins Gish

Both Fleet Foxes albums

AC/DC High Voltage

Black Crowes and Chris Robinson Brotherhood records

And on and on......

I clean them using the distilled water/natural cleaner/alcohol method. Makes a huge difference.

What do you mean by "natural cleaner"? If I were you I'd drop the alcohol, not good for vinyl or needles. I would suggest going to a photo shop/camera store/whatever you have around you, and getting a small bottle of developing fluid. The one around here gives it to me but I always give them a few bucks anyways. What it does is make the cleaning fluid "sheet" more over the vinyl when cleaning. Just a few drops in a 4 ounce container of cleaning fluid. 

In summary, for 4 ounces of cleaning fluid I use distilled water, one drop of original Dawn dish soap, and 3-4 drops of developing fluid. Like I said above, I'm using a Nitty Gritty so it might work differently if you are doing it by hand... have no idea how you go about it. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, T&C said:

What do you mean by "natural cleaner"? If I were you I'd drop the alcohol, not good for vinyl or needles. I would suggest going to a photo shop/camera store/whatever you have around you, and getting a small bottle of developing fluid. The one around here gives it to me but I always give them a few bucks anyways. What it does is make the cleaning fluid "sheet" more over the vinyl when cleaning. Just a few drops in a 4 ounce container of cleaning fluid. 

In summary, for 4 ounces of cleaning fluid I use distilled water, one drop of original Dawn dish soap, and 3-4 drops of developing fluid. Like I said above, I'm using a Nitty Gritty so it might work differently if you are doing it by hand... have no idea how you go about it. 

I'll elaborate. All methods I use were taught to me by my record store owner guy down the street. 

Take a gallon of DISTILLED water; dump out 1/3 of it. 

Put in a capful of the "natural" cleaner....no chemicals, plant-based. I used Murphy's that has citrus as the agent.

Then, fill up the rest of the gallon jug with 91% rubbing alcohol. Shake it up and it's good forever. I dumped out the Murphy's bottle, rinsed it, and put the jug's contents into it.

Spray the record, and use a paint edger to wipe down the grooves. 

Put a microfiber cloth on the end of a Shop-Vac hose, and vacuum the record dry. 

It makes a difference compared to simply playing them straight from the sleeve.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'll elaborate. All methods I use were taught to me by my record store owner guy down the street. 

Take a gallon of DISTILLED water; dump out 1/3 of it. 

Put in a capful of the "natural" cleaner....no chemicals, plant-based. I used Murphy's that has citrus as the agent.

Then, fill up the rest of the gallon jug with 91% rubbing alcohol. Shake it up and it's good forever. I dumped out the Murphy's bottle, rinsed it, and put the jug's contents into it.

Spray the record, and use a paint edger to wipe down the grooves. 

Put a microfiber cloth on the end of a Shop-Vac hose, and vacuum the record dry. 

It makes a difference compared to simply playing them straight from the sleeve.

Interesting, good post. I agree with the process except for the alcohol. The paint edger makes sense as it is pretty much 10,000 tiny fingers... basically like the tool you get with the NG... had to think about that one for a minute lol. Do you use a broken turntable just to have the spin when you clean them? Seems some sort of platter would be needed. 

The last time I listened to one of our old lp's ..I thought to myself..I listened for too long back then with a old needle and I should have never let my friends borrow them..the scratches are rough.Not to mention the fact that I left them in the basement for decades..most of the cardboard covers are warped..

I was seriously into the sound and the vinyl back in the 70’s and early 80’s. I “outgrew” speakers as big as an end table, and all the space needed for turntables and recievers. My collection of vinyl in peachtree crates got overheated and warped at some point.

Sad, as I’d love to have it back and find a way to make it work now. The sound is so pure and rich. 

20 hours ago, T&C said:

Interesting, good post. I agree with the process except for the alcohol. The paint edger makes sense as it is pretty much 10,000 tiny fingers... basically like the tool you get with the NG... had to think about that one for a minute lol. Do you use a broken turntable just to have the spin when you clean them? Seems some sort of platter would be needed. 

No broken turntable....I put them on a towel and do it by hand manually. Flip it over, repeat, vacuum.