Looking for a new TV, looking g for advice

mrags

5 minutes ago, Augie said:

Curious, which channels get it? My 4k and my DTV are in different rooms, but I might do some new things. 

It’s like 101-105 or something like that. But if you don’t have an upgraded receiver that accepts 4k you’ll have to purchase the upgrade from DTV. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

It’s like 101-105 or something like that. But if you don’t have an upgraded receiver that accepts 4k you’ll have to purchase the upgrade from DTV. 

Ugh, won’t happen then - I only watch DTV for Sunday Ticket and during AT&T outages. Not upgrading for that. But thanks. 

2 hours ago, bjurewicz21 said:

Definitely sounds like the Z9D is the way to go.

My thoughts were similar all have the same processing chip, the 900f and the Z9D use full array back lighting but the Z9D has so many more zones. How long do you guys think the Z9D will stay relevant as a mid to top teir TV?

Now i just need to convince the wife its worth the $700 :)

Well, it's actually a 2016 model TV. That's how far ahead of it time it was. 

It will still be a top top of the line TV for many years to come. It has 4K HD and HDR 10 (as well as Dolby vision, if the update came out yet). So it'll be compatible as more 4k and HDR stuff starts coming out (and hopefully we start seeing broadcasts in 4k eventually...). 

I actually still have my top of the line Sony 1080p TV from 2007/08 and personally, I think it looks as good as any of the 1080p TVs on the market now. 

Itll be a while before anyone is even broadcasting in 4k, and even though it came out in 2016, the Z9D is still so far ahead of most of the other TVs on the market. Sony is just starting to put some of the z9's technology in its lesser TVs (like the 900f and 930e) that just came out. It'll be many years until the average 4k TV is anywhere near as good as the Z9D 

I am not trying to talk you out of a Z9D, but since you asked, I am pretty sure that Sony is coming out with a new model of the Z9D later this year or early next year. That is why you are seeing the price of the Z9D dropping. 

They teased it earlier this year, showing off their new processing chip at CES 2018. 

It will have a new processing chip called the X1 Ultimate, which will have 2 times the processing power of the current X1 extreme and be able to handle 5x the brightness (10,000nits!). It can handle up to 8k or 10k broadcasts. It should also be quite a step up in 4k upscaling. 

I was just just getting ready to buy a TV earlier this year, when all the new 2018 models came out (and you can get a 2017 model dirt cheap). But then I learned about this new X1 ultimate chip and decided to wait. 

I will either buy buy one of these new models with the X1 ultimate chip when they come out, or just grab a Z9D on clearance, depending on the difference in picture quality. 

I wtill think youd be more more than happy with a Z9D though. Plua, the new one is going to be ridiculously expensive, I'm sure. I would easily guess at least $3500-$4000 for the 65". 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

You fellas haven’t seen the latest technology. Was talking to my buddy who works at BestBuy and he sold me on a 7500XLD LEOD Samsung which incorporates everything you guys were referencing above at a 75 multiple. The resolution is crystal and it’s waterproof, WiFi and Bluetooth with a hologram feature which brings the action right in my living room/home theater. Say you’re watching “Breaking Bad” on Netflix or playing Madden, there’s a hologram option that brings it right in front of my recliner. It was only $9,450.00 but money well spent. My buddies have slept over a few nights in a row. Get one. 

5 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

You fellas haven’t seen the latest technology. Was talking to my buddy who works at BestBuy and he sold me on a 7500XLD LEOD Samsung which incorporates everything you guys were referencing above at a 75 multiple. The resolution is crystal and it’s waterproof, WiFi and Bluetooth with a hologram feature which brings the action right in my living room/home theater. Say you’re watching “Breaking Bad” on Netflix or playing Madden, there’s a hologram option that brings it right in front of my recliner. It was only $9,450.00 but money well spent. My buddies have slept over a few nights in a row. Get one. 

The right drugs could probably do that for you much cheaper, but I can’t recommend that approach. 

50 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Well, it's actually a 2016 model TV. That's how far ahead of it time it was. 

It will still be a top top of the line TV for many years to come. It has 4K HD and HDR 10 (as well as Dolby vision, if the update came out yet). So it'll be compatible as more 4k and HDR stuff starts coming out (and hopefully we start seeing broadcasts in 4k eventually...). 

I actually still have my top of the line Sony 1080p TV from 2007/08 and personally, I think it looks as good as any of the 1080p TVs on the market now. 

Itll be a while before anyone is even broadcasting in 4k, and even though it came out in 2016, the Z9D is still so far ahead of most of the other TVs on the market. Sony is just starting to put some of the z9's technology in its lesser TVs (like the 900f and 930e) that just came out. It'll be many years until the average 4k TV is anywhere near as good as the Z9D 

I am not trying to talk you out of a Z9D, but since you asked, I am pretty sure that Sony is coming out with a new model of the Z9D later this year or early next year. That is why you are seeing the price of the Z9D dropping. 

They teased it earlier this year, showing off their new processing chip at CES 2018. 

It will have a new processing chip called the X1 Ultimate, which will have 2 times the processing power of the current X1 extreme and be able to handle 5x the brightness (10,000nits!). It can handle up to 8k or 10k broadcasts. It should also be quite a step up in 4k upscaling. 

I was just just getting ready to buy a TV earlier this year, when all the new 2018 models came out (and you can get a 2017 model dirt cheap). But then I learned about this new X1 ultimate chip and decided to wait. 

I will either buy buy one of these new models with the X1 ultimate chip when they come out, or just grab a Z9D on clearance, depending on the difference in picture quality. 

I wtill think youd be more more than happy with a Z9D though. Plua, the new one is going to be ridiculously expensive, I'm sure. I would easily guess at least $3500-$4000 for the 65". 

when is the next gen of the Z9D set to hit markets might put off the purchase a little to try and snag a Z9D on clearance and like you said see what the new one looks like

7 minutes ago, bjurewicz21 said:

when is the next gen of the Z9D set to hit markets might put off the purchase a little to try and snag a Z9D on clearance and like you said see what the new one looks like

Sounds like a wise move. I never like to be cutting edge on the $$$ front. 

11 hours ago, bjurewicz21 said:

I don't know exactly when. 

There were rumors it could come come out (or be announced) as soon as august, as a mid-season model. 

But I'm kinda planning on it coming out later this year or most likely early next year (when most new tv models come out - march/April/may). 

I dont know how much cheaper they will get, though. If I remember correctly, a 65" Z9D was originally about $6000 when they came out (which is why I'm most likely planning on the old Z9D model. I can't justify $6k for a TV! lol) 

Just guessing, but Id be surprised if they went much under $2500. They're $2999 currently at Best Buy. Maybe they get down to about $2000 if we are really lucky... 

You have to keep your eyes peeled though. The old models go pretty quick when the new one comes out. 

Edited by BillsFan4
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

So nice to see that your mom is allowing you to have sleepovers again. 

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

“The Samsung screen use tiny particles called Quantum Dots that can display more, brighter colors without washing out detail. The TCL uses something called NBP Photons, which cost less and don’t have quite as wide of a palette.”

even though ugh I kept reading, I could have stopped right there. 

The difference in small details is what makes up all the difference in a TV. It might not sound like a lot when they talk about the 93% vs 96% color. But trust me, your eyes will notice it in a heartbeat. It’ll be like the difference between a wet, freshly watered green lawn, vs a lawns that’s been sitting in 90* heat for 4 days. There’s a difference. As soon as it rains you can see the colors come back again.

It’s no different with TVs and their quality. And for what it’s worth, the Samsung Q6 isn’t anywhere close to as good as the Sony 930f or Z9D. Probabaly not as good as the 900f either. 

Also, 55” is kinda small for a tv for that price. I’m sure you could find a much better tv around the $1,000 range. 

All that said, I would think About buying it for my patio outside. So that I could watch Bills games from the Hot Tub. But I’d never put that thing in my living room. 

4 hours ago, mrags said:

Also, 55” is kinda small for a tv for that price. I’m sure you could find a much better tv around the $1,000 range. 

All that said, I would think About buying it for my patio outside. So that I could watch Bills games from the Hot Tub. But I’d never put that thing in my living room. 

I think that TV sounds just fine.. I know I would. But I also get those who want the extra

Edited by plenzmd1

3 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

I think that TV sounds just fine.. I know I would. But I also get those who want the extra

All I’m saying is, go look at it in person compared to one of the higher end TVs and you will see a difference in less than a second. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

https://www.avsforum.com/sony-master-series-a9f-oled-z9f-led-lcd-4k-hdr-tvs-debut/

https://www.sony.com/electronics/televisions/xbr-z9f-series

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-z9f-4k-hdr-flagship-tv-announced/

At a press conference in New York City today, the Sony Master Series of 4K HDR TVs was unveiled. According to the press release, the goal is to “create a TV capable of displaying images that faithfully convey the creators’ intent. Sony’s new Master Series provides picture quality approaching that of a professional-grade monitor in a movie studio and was developed by following a very strict set of product-evaluation criteria by its most experienced picture-quality engineers.”

The Sony Master Series A9F OLED and Z9F LED-LCD TVs will be available across North America in the fall of 2018. The A9F will come in 55″ and 65″ screen sizes, while the Z9F will be available in 65″ and 75″ sizes. Pricing has not yet been announced.

There it is. The Z9F with the new X1 Ultimate chip. Coming out this fall.  

I can’t wait to get a look at this thing in person. 

Ill bet the price is going to be insane, though. 

On 8/30/2018 at 12:14 AM, BillsFan4 said:

https://www.avsforum.com/sony-master-series-a9f-oled-z9f-led-lcd-4k-hdr-tvs-debut/

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/sony-z9f-4k-hdr-flagship-tv-announced/

There it is. The Z9F with the new X1 Ultimate chip. Coming out this fall.  

I can’t wait to get a look at this thing in person. 

Ill bet the price is going to be insane, though. 

It most likely won’t be an option for most people for a long time. Give it a year for the prices to come down a bit. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

It most likely won’t be an option for most people for a long time. Give it a year for the prices to come down a bit. 

Yeah, for sure. At least a year, if not 2. 

As much as I would absolutely love to buy this, I don’t think I can bring myself to spend $6000 or more (guessing...) on a TV. 

Definitely interested in seeing it in person though. 

I am going to be watching the price of those Z9D’s for sure! I’m betting it’ll drop to $2500 soon. 

How do you like your Z9D btw? How does it perform when watching regular cable? 

Do you notice a big difference in picture quality? How do Bills games look? 

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah, for sure. At least a year, if not 2. 

As much as I would absolutely love to buy this, I don’t think I can bring myself to spend $6000 or more (guessing...) on a TV. 

Definitely interested in seeing it in person though. 

I am going to be watching the price of those Z9D’s for sure! I’m betting it’ll drop to $2500 soon. 

How do you like your Z9D btw? How does it perform when watching regular cable? 

Do you notice a big difference in picture quality? How do Bills games look? 

I still love it. Honestly, it needs to be calibrated a bit. I still get a little bit of an aura around the players in fast motion bits. Watching the Embedded clips on the tv come out kinda crumby. But that’s not the same. It’s still crystal clear as far as picture quality goes. And I’m sure there’s ways to cobraye it so that it doesn’t have the motion aura, but I’m too lazy and I like the picture so much as is. I don’t want to mess with anything. 

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2018 at 11:06 PM, bjurewicz21 said:

They announced the pricing for the new Z9F. It’s actually way better than I thought.

The 65” is only $3499. 

The Z9D is still $2999 at Best Buy. 

Looks like they actually already have the new Z9F in stock -

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-led-z9f-master-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6278280.p?skuId=6278280

Now I know what I’m doing this weekend! lol 

That price is very enticing... $3499 is doable.

The 75” is $5999. I honestly thought that’s about what the 65” would cost. Sony is being much more aggressive in their pricing. It’s good to see. 

2 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

They announced the pricing for the new Z9F. It’s actually way better than I thought.

The 65” is only $3499. 

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-class-led-z9f-master-series-2160p-smart-4k-uhd-tv-with-hdr/6278280.p?skuId=6278280

The 75” is $5999. I honestly thought that’s about what the 65” would cost. Sony is being much more aggressive in their pricing. It’s good to see. 

Im glad I got a new set when I did. But maybe I would have waited had I known I could have gotten the new one for the same price. That’s what I paid for my Z

3 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

The 65” is only $3499. 

If you're going to spend that much, you should only be thinking OLED.  LG OLED65C8PUA.  $2199.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

If you're going to spend that much, you should only be thinking OLED.  LG OLED65C8PUA.  $2199.

Yeah I’ve looked at the OLED’s. I absolutely love their picture quality but I’m not sure it would be best for what I plan on using it for - gaming, more then anything else. 

I am really scared of the burn-in issues. I’ve had salesmen and TV reps tell me it’s not an issue anymore, but some of the display LG tv’s in Best Buy have severe burn-in issues. I know it’s from them showing the same thing on a constant loop all day, every day. But that’s why I worry about gaming on an OLED. A lot of the games I like to play have HUD’s (heads up displays) that are constantly in the same spot on the screen. 

Plus, burn-in isn’t covered by LG’s warranty. So if it happens, I’m SOL. 

Ive also read that just like Plasma TVs, OLED needs to be handled differently than the LED TVs do. That you have to baby them more, and run programs to make sure the color burn-in is even among all the pixels (etc). Ive never had a plasma or OLED so I am unfamiliar with all of this stuff. 

I do do plan on checking out the OLED Tv’s again anyway. I have a list of a few TVs I want to compare -

- Sony’s Z9F

- Sony’s new master series A9F OLED TV

- Samsung Q9F 

- LG C and E series OLEDs

Do you have an OLED? If so, what is your feedback? 

Sony’s Z9 series is actually pretty comparable to a plasma, if not better in some aspects. The black levels aren’t quite as good,  but they are close. And the brightness is worlds better. 

Their new master series TVs are supposed to be the closest thing to a professional grade movie studio monitor that’s available to the average consumer. 

Edited by BillsFan4

31 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I’ve looked at the OLED’s. I absolutely love their picture quality but I’m not sure it would be best for what I plan on using it for - gaming, more then anything else. 

I am really scared of the burn-in issues. I’ve had salesmen and TV reps tell me it’s not an issue anymore, but some of the display LG tv’s in Best Buy have severe burn-in issues. I know it’s from them showing the same thing on a constant loop all day, every day. But that’s why I worry about gaming on an OLED. A lot of the games I like to play have HUD’s (heads up displays) that are constantly in the same spot on the screen. 

Plus, burn-in isn’t covered by LG’s warranty. So if it happens, I’m SOL. 

Ive also read that just like Plasma TVs, OLED needs to be handled differently than the LED TVs do. That you have to baby them more, and run programs to make sure the color burn-in is even among all the pixels (etc). Ive never had a plasma or OLED so I am unfamiliar with all of this stuff. 

I do do plan on checking out the OLED Tv’s again anyway. I have a list of a few TVs I want to compare -

- Sony’s Z9F

- Sony’s new master series A9F OLED TV

- Samsung Q9F 

- LG C and E series OLEDs

Do you have an OLED? If so, what is your feedback? 

Sony’s Z9 series is actually pretty comparable to a plasma, if not better in some aspects. The black levels aren’t quite as good,  but they are close. And the brightness is worlds better. 

Their new master series TVs are supposed to be the closest thing to a professional grade movie studio monitor that’s available to the average consumer.

Yep, have an OLED.  No burn-in issues and it's been about 3 years now.

23 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yep, have an OLED.  No burn-in issues and it's been about 3 years now.

Thanks. 

Do you game on it at all? Or leave it on a menu/pause screen accidentally (etc) at times? Or anything lose that would put it st danger of burn-in? 

You have an LG I take it? Is it the C8 you linked? 

The Sony z is better than oled I’m many ways. Much brighter coloring. Close to as dark blacks. No burn in issues. 

Any reviews and comparisons to oled have them at almost the same. Much better to go with the one that doesn’t have burn in issues or brightness issues if you are using the set in a fairly lightened room like a living room/family room. 

Ive got a very good freind that has the Samsung Q9. Absolutely loves it. He wanted the oled but couldn’t do it when he got to the store. Not sure why he changed his mind since he was saying the same thing for months leading up to the purchase “of your going to buy a new tv it should only be a oled”. Then all the sudden he changed his mind. He looked at the Z and the other Sonys but couldn’t pull the trigger because he felt the technology was already a few years old on the Z and he felt it wasn’t the right choice. Instead he chose the Q9 which is factually no different. It’s an led tv. The Q for quantum dots is all just a marketing thing at this point. Means absolutely nothing. At least not until they fix the technology. The one thing I will give the Samsung’s is their coloring. They are leaps and bounds above every other manufacturer out there right now. 

So oled does incredible blacks but suffer burn in and brightness

the z isn’t as black as the oled but has a much higher nits. 

The Q is basically a led with incredible coloring. 

Take your pick. 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Thanks. 

Do you game on it at all? Or leave it on a menu/pause screen accidentally (etc) at times? Or anything lose that would put it st danger of burn-in? 

You have an LG I take it? Is it the C8 you linked? 

I don't game on that TV, only because it's in my family room.  I have left it on menu/pause for awhile many times with no issues.  I did read that a test showed burn-in after 4,000 hours, but only when the station was tuned to CNN (figures).

Yes I have an LG but unfortunately not that one.  I paid about that much when I got mine and it's 55" and not 4K.

• Like (+1) 1

• 3 months later...
On 9/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, Doc said:

I don't game on that TV, only because it's in my family room.  I have left it on menu/pause for awhile many times with no issues.  I did read that a test showed burn-in after 4,000 hours, but only when the station was tuned to CNN (figures).

Yes I have an LG but unfortunately not that one.  I paid about that much when I got mine and it's 55" and not 4K.

There are other issues with leaving a TV tuned to CNN.   It turns smart TV's into dumb ones.