Eric Galko of Optimum Scouting: Bills love Rosen (updated with new info)

YoloinOhio

18 hours ago, kdiggz said:

I just watched Darnold and Rosen film back to back today. It's not even close. Rosen is so far superior it's a joke that this is even a discussion.

Darnold dances around and jump passes it to get it in the playmakers hands. It's effective but it's not something you see at the NFL level. His footwork is horrible, he's falling away from the throw, all of his momentum is going backwards instead of stepping into the throw. It works on those short quick passes in that offense because it's basically a long handoff, just trying to get it into the receiver's hands to let them run with it. You never see him stand tall in the pocket and deliver a strike. If anything he will do that while scrambling or again while falling away from the pressure. I don't know if he lacks the arm strength on some of these throws or if it's just because he's falling backwards and doesn't have the momentum behind his throw because of his poor mechanics.

Josh Rosen is next level. On multiple throws he is set up to deliver the throw to a receiver but at the last second checks it down mid throw. You can see him going through the progression and he changes his release at the last second to throw it underneath. Because of his mechanics he can do that without resetting his feet. It's absolutely brilliant to see. Perfect base, good footwork in the pocket, momentum going forward, nice follow through. Just so impressive. Ask any QB to watch the film and it's not even a contest between these guys.

So what I think is happening is there's too many cooks in the kitchen. A scout watches the film and sees Darnold as a solid "football player" who is big and strong and effective. He can escape pressure and get the ball to the playmaker. But it's soooo ugly to watch. It's not what you are taught to do at all. We used to have a RB in high school that would do a sweep play with the option to throw and he would basically flip the ball to the wr. He wouldn't even try and grip the ball and throw a spiral he would just kind of flop the ball out there. That's what Darnold reminds me of. No mechanics. Any scout that has Darnold rated high is because they are not a QB, don't understand the position, and do not know what proper mechanics look like. Ask any QB to watch the tape and it would be unanimous. Rosen is the best QB in this draft.

Yup. I've said over and over that Darnold is this year's Aaron Rodgers - but only to the extent that he falls unexpectedly. I honestly don't think that scouts are telling their FO that he's a great player. I think there's a lot of disinformation being floated.

Maybe he's a player, we'll see. He's not the overall #1 QB, #1 overall player and I've got him as my top choice for bust of the year if he goes top 3 and has to play (like, NY Jets. For the Bills, that would be the ultimate joy).

5 hours ago, SouthNYfan said:

We can agree to disagree there.

Taking the concussions out of it I have them:

Rosen 

----

----

Mayfield

Darnold

Including the concussions (which you have to)

Rosen

Mayfield

-----

----

Darnold

Rosen is light-years ahead of either one with his pocket presence and decision making

Mayfield reminds me of flutie, not because he's short, but just that fiery, win at all costs attitude.

That's good and bad.

I'll use the NBA as an example.

Jordan is an all time great, hardcore never wanted to lose, and early on he was detrimental to his team due to his fiery desire to win at all costs.

As he matured, he realized he couldn't do it all on his own, and started to pass more, allow other guys to be involved, and started winning titles like crazy.

Russell Westbrook is one of the most gifted players ever, and has that fire to go along with it. He has driven James harden and Kevin Durant out of town, along with oladipo too now, as nobody likes playing with him, because he is a ball hog who doesn't trust his two all star teammates.

I'm concerned Mayfield's fire could turn into that.

Again, I have zero problem getting him, but if they are both available, I would go with Rosen, but it's damn close.

All fair enough.

Mayfield's fire is one of the main reasons I love him. Dude won a starting QB job as a walk-on at a D1 college and transferred and won the job again at an even more high profile school and had the best consecutive year stint for any QB in college football in recent history, maybe ever. He comes up big in big moments. He's always been dismissed and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

On top of all that, the guy who's reportedly been blowing teams away in his interviews and film breakdown is Mayfield, not Rosen.

You're right, Rosen is the prototype I want in terms of what I see.

But Mayfield is the guy I prefer in a Bills uniform.

I'll be happy with either, though.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

All fair enough.

Mayfield's fire is one of the main reasons I love him. Dude won a starting QB job as a walk-on at a D1 college and transferred and won the job again at an even more high profile school and had the best consecutive year stint for any QB in college football in recent history, maybe ever. He comes up big in big moments. He's always been dismissed and has a massive chip on his shoulder.

On top of all that, the guy who's reportedly been blowing teams away in his interviews and film breakdown is Mayfield, not Rosen.

You're right, Rosen is the prototype I want in terms of what I see.

But Mayfield is the guy I prefer in a Bills uniform.

I'll be happy with either, though.

Agreed.

I think it's a good thing he's that way, I just think there's potential for it to hurt him a lot.

Say the Jets pass on him, so he puts them on his "list"...

What happens when he decides to play "hero ball" against them?

Sometimes that chip turns bad.

I honestly think that's a big reason teams don't want him.

They want him to care more about football and less about grudges.

(Fwiw Rodgers had a list when he was passed over. It worked for him.)

I wouldn't be upset with either guy.

22 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Agreed.

I think it's a good thing he's that way, I just think there's potential for it to hurt him a lot.

Say the Jets pass on him, so he puts them on his "list"...

What happens when he decides to play "hero ball" against them?

Sometimes that chip turns bad.

I honestly think that's a big reason teams don't want him.

They want him to care more about football and less about grudges.

(Fwiw Rodgers had a list when he was passed over. It worked for him.)

I wouldn't be upset with either guy.

Or say the Jets take Baker, and he moves to the media Maelstrom that is NY/NJ.  By the end of preseason, he'd have so much fodder for his "list" he'd need a wheeled suitcase and a Mensa memory to keep track of it all - and then the regular season starts.  Meanwhile he's trying to master the playbook.

After ruminating and groominating, I like how Mayfield plays overall the best of the QB.  He's got good technique most of the time, much better than Darnold.  He's more mobile than Rosen.  But I do worry about that grudge-packing factor. 

Maybe it worked for Rodgers because he had to wait and work for his chance, so he had a break from the negativity in the bright lights, big city atmosphere of Green Bay

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or say the Jets take Baker, and he moves to the media Maelstrom that is NY/NJ.  By the end of preseason, he'd have so much fodder for his "list" he'd need a wheeled suitcase and a Mensa memory to keep track of it all - and then the regular season starts.  Meanwhile he's trying to master the playbook.

After ruminating and groominating, I like how Mayfield plays overall the best of the QB.  He's got good technique most of the time, much better than Darnold.  He's more mobile than Rosen.  But I do worry about that grudge-packing factor. 

Maybe it worked for Rodgers because he had to wait and work for his chance, so he had a break from the negativity in the bright lights, big city atmosphere of Green Bay

Very much how I feel.

I think he might get mad sitting behind McCown/bridge at first and expects to start day 1.

28 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the whole "I'm keeping tabs on all media that talked negatively about me" is Mayfield's attempt to build up his bravado.  A way of building up his own legendary (in his own mind) status.  I think he has a big ego, and likes all the hype.  Mayfield's ego appears to be based more than just on-feld ability.  Typical jock in high school, that his teammates loved, but everyone else despised.  I think the NFL vets won't like him and I think he'll crash and burn in NY.  I hope Buffalo somehow gets Rosen.  I think Rosens perceived ego is different than Mayfield's.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PIZ said:

I think the whole "I'm keeping tabs on all media that talked negatively about me" is Mayfield's attempt to build up his bravado.  A way of building up his own legendary (in his own mind) status.  I think he has a big ego, and likes all the hype. 

"cocky to the point of being arrogant" is the way some described him after the Sr bowl.  I see it a bit differently.  He's had to scrap his way up.  He was a walk-on x 2, not a 5-star recruit.  Some people are motivated by being dissed, being underdogs.   "Pretenders" = "by damn we're contenders, I'll show YOU".

The problem arises when someone can't be selective about it or let go of it at all.  If you carry all of it it around all the time, it becomes too big of a burden, and you implode.  As I recall we have some folks here involved in the mental health/counseling fields who can prolly explain much better than I.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan

Mayfield also had two concussions, threw a ball at TCU players head, crotch grab, throat slash against Georgia mouthing "its over" in a game they lost and chased by the cops. He keeps a list and went nuts over being called pudgy and things of that nature. He's thinned skinned and clearly insecure with a napoleon complex. This guy is a trashy POS and anyone who likes his antics and thinks Rosen is a self centered ego maniac needs to have their head examined. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Mayfield also had two concussions, threw a ball at TCU players head, crotch grab, throat slash against Georgia mouthing "its over" in a game they lost and chased by the cops. He keeps a list and went nuts over being called pudgy and things of that nature. He's thinned skinned and clearly insecure with a napoleon complex. This guy is a trashy POS and anyone who likes his antics and thinks Rosen is a self centered ego maniac needs to have their head examined. 

He's not number one on the list is he?

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Haha I had that thought 

9 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Mayfield also had two concussions, threw a ball at TCU players head, crotch grab, throat slash against Georgia mouthing "its over" in a game they lost and chased by the cops. He keeps a list and went nuts over being called pudgy and things of that nature. He's thinned skinned and clearly insecure with a napoleon complex. This guy is a trashy POS and anyone who likes his antics and thinks Rosen is a self centereI d ego maniac needs to have their head examined. 

I was being a bit sarcastic in post but in all seriousness aren't all these quarterbacks a real risk in paying to move up into top four picks? Jets trade seems to indicate what it would take .