NFL Draft QBs Stats based on Defensive Rank

DCOrange

16 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Mayfield is my favorite qb. But I have the impression that Rudolph is the type of qb that McBeane would favor. He has had plenty of playing time and steadily got better each year. From what I have read about him is that he is very mature and an upright citizen. I don't see Rudolph having the upside of the top three ranked qbs but I do see him with a very high floor. He seems to fit the McDermott mold physically and character wise and would be less costly.  This is just a feeling I have. What's clear is that there are a variety of tracks to take on the qb issue. 

They also saw him multiple times in person. That is usually a sign of a guy that they liked.

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

They also saw him multiple times in person. That is usually a sign of a guy that they liked.

Right now the consensus top three qbs are Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold. But it wouldn't be surprising to me that both Rudolph and Jackson become very attractive for some unexpected teams such as the Steelers and Cardinals who would be willing to take either one with their picks. It's my opinion that if the Bills favor one of the second tier prospects they still should be aggressive in how they approach the draft. Surrounding every draft there are smokescreens. This year the visibility should be poor because of the extraordinary amount of smoke. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Right now the consensus top three qbs are Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold. But it wouldn't be surprising to me that both Rudolph and Jackson become very attractive for some unexpected teams such as the Steelers and Cardinals who would be willing to take either one with their picks. It's my opinion that if the Bills favor one of the second tier prospects they still should be aggressive in how they approach the draft. Surrounding every draft there are smokescreens. This year the visibility should be poor because of the extraordinary amount of smoke. 

I think that they are going up to the top of the draft. They aren’t approaching this draft as “let’s see what we can get.” They are approaching it as “let’s go get ____.” The writing is on the wall. We just don’t know the _____. It is starting to look like Baker is going to Cleveland at 1. What do the Giants do at 2? The Bills have to get to the top 4, IMO to secure one of those top 3. I’m convinced that is the plan.

Good stuff DCOrange. Thanks for taking the time to do this. 

I am really starting to fall more more and more in love with Mayfield, but unfortunately I don't think we have a chance at him, or Rosen or Darnold.

I was glad to see Rudolph's numbers looked good, because I am hoping we have a more realistic shot at him (although I'm not even sure of that). 

I haven't put much effort into scouting him Jackson. I guess I'd just prefer a bit more of a pocket passing type. But I think I'll check this it some tape on him anyway. Why not... 

Edited by BillsFan4

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think that they are going up to the top of the draft. They aren’t approaching this draft as “let’s see what we can get.” They are approaching it as “let’s go get ____.” The writing is on the wall. We just don’t know the _____. It is starting to look like Baker is going to Cleveland at 1. What do the Giants do at 2? The Bills have to get to the top 4, IMO to secure one of those top 3. I’m convinced that is the plan.

Apparently you are tuned in because Scott McClughan (sic) was hired as a draft advisor to Cleveland. His favorite qb is Mayfield. There are reports that the Bills also like Darnold a lot. While Gunner thinks otherwise I still see the Giants taking Rosen. For me taking a fallback positon for a qb such as Rudolph or Jackson would not leave me disappointed. There should be a little more clarity if Denver or the Jets sign Cousins. There are so many permutations to go through on this issue that my head is spinning. Another consideration is that there is a plausible scenario for Cleveland to sign Cousins and then trade off one of their two top picks. They have the  most cap space and Cousins, despite some of his pious proclamations about winning, is going for the money. With their new GM it would not be an unimaginable surprise for them to take some bold action to more quickly become a credible team. 

I'm not well versed on NCAA football, but the more I hear about Mayfield, the more I like him. Still, these player rankings always jump around so much in the weeks before the draft. If he's still there, I could see us trading up to #3 or #4 to draft him. Buuuuuuut then again, we traded down last year and still got White so ya never know anything except that 99% of 1st round mocks will be nowhere near correct.

Why do we think Darnold is good again?   I am aware he was the top pick going in to the season but he did NOT have a 2017 to get excited about, and this only makes it look worse.

Somebody please make me like him as a QB so I feel better about reports "the Bills really like him"!!

I only watched one game of his - hosting Texas.  He looked pretty rough in that one.

Edited by BobChalmers

These numbers are interesting however there is no compelling reason whatsoever to believe that they are predictive of success in the NFL. I can pretty much guarantee you that all the people who do this full-time of already factored these numbers in. So it really begs the question, because of these particular “statistics” would you take Jackson over Rosen or Donald if you had the chance? I most certainly would not.

2 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

These numbers are interesting however there is no compelling reason whatsoever to believe that they are predictive of success in the NFL. I can pretty much guarantee you that all the people who do this full-time of already factored these numbers in. So it really begs the question, because of these particular “statistics” would you take Jackson over Rosen or Donald if you had the chance? I most certainly would not.

i would take jackson over dahnold. i have him third behind rosen and baker. he has the work ethic you like and obvious athleticism you dream of. I think his floor is higher than tyrod and his ceiling is like a russell wilson with all the running. 

10 minutes ago, Mojo44 said:

Certainly a fair criticism. I personally preferred Lamar over those two before I looked into these stats, so obviously we disagree there, but these numbers are just one more thing to look at really. Obviously there's additional context to everything that these numbers simply can't capture.

I've been on the Rudolph train, aka Rudy, since October. I'm a believer, and FWIW, so is Chris Traspasso. Rob Quinn really doesn't like him Cover 1 has a pretty balanced opinion on him. Although in all due respect to Kirby, I don't think his receivers elevated his game - I could argue it was a mutually symbiotic relationship. Rudolph places the ball well, has the best deep throw accuracy in the Draft, can fit it in tight windows with an NFL arm but not "elite", markedly improved his accuracy, TDs, and yards every year from starting as a Sophmore through this year as a Senior, while keeping his INTs the same...that kind of production improvement while maintaining minimal mistakes, is not the WRs elevating his game....IMHO. 

I've posted in countless threads Rudolph's numbers over his career and with his prototypical frame and pocket awareness, he's the guy....if he's there at 21 and the Bills don't get a guy like Cousins (which I'm not a fan of due to it being cost prohibitive for other FA pieces not because of his play), then the Bills should run to the podium and feel confident in his ability. Now with Daboll as Offensive Coordinator, this pick makes even more sense to me....but, I'm starting to suspect Rudy goes just outside the top 10....hopefully not, but come Draft Day, pressure is on and guys like the Cards are looking for their face of the franchise. 

34 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

I've been on the Rudolph train, aka Rudy, since October. I'm a believer, and FWIW, so is Chris Traspasso. Rob Quinn really doesn't like him Cover 1 has a pretty balanced opinion on him. Although in all due respect to Kirby, I don't think his receivers elevated his game - I could argue it was a mutually symbiotic relationship. Rudolph places the ball well, has the best deep throw accuracy in the Draft, can fit it in tight windows with an NFL arm but not "elite", markedly improved his accuracy, TDs, and yards every year from starting as a Sophmore through this year as a Senior, while keeping his INTs the same...that kind of production improvement while maintaining minimal mistakes, is not the WRs elevating his game....IMHO. 

I've posted in countless threads Rudolph's numbers over his career and with his prototypical frame and pocket awareness, he's the guy....if he's there at 21 and the Bills don't get a guy like Cousins (which I'm not a fan of due to it being cost prohibitive for other FA pieces not because of his play), then the Bills should run to the podium and feel confident in his ability. Now with Daboll as Offensive Coordinator, this pick makes even more sense to me....but, I'm starting to suspect Rudy goes just outside the top 10....hopefully not, but come Draft Day, pressure is on and guys like the Cards are looking for their face of the franchise. 

I agree that he’s a great deep ball thrower. The point I was trying to make is that his receivers are way better than any of the other top guys. I’m not sure that’s even debatable. Based on that alone he is getting a bump that other guys aren’t getting. As an example, if you gave Washington and Ateman to Allen and Wyoming’s wideouts to Rudolph, Allen’s numbers would look better and Rudolph number’s worse. That was the point I was trying to make. 

I'd be really interested to hear what other Big 12 Coaches would say about Mayfield and Rudolph.  They would have coached against both of them. I'm pretty certain, that both of these guys are going to be within range when the Bills pick. Mayfield will almost certainly require 'some' movement up the draft order, and Rudolph none.