Lane Johnson calls Patriots a “fear-based organization”; doesn’t think players have any fun

YoloinOhio

On 2/10/2018 at 2:29 PM, WhoTom said:

I have a colleague who's a workaholic. He moonlighted as an engineer at a high-paced aerospace company while teaching college full-time. He has a patent. He wrote a textbook and he's working on another. He's got lots of money. By most "traditional" measures, he's more successful than I am.

But I have more fun, and I wouldn't trade places with him for anything.

Everyone's different.

Moonlight as an engineer?

9 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The incentive to sign with a winner is pretty powerful.  I think there are veteran free agents out there who are more than willing to put up with Belichick's military like discipline to get a few rings, and then if they are young enough to sign a big money deal elsewhere.   Now, if Philly can win a few more Super Bowls over the next five years,other than the ones the Bills are going to win.  They can say to potential free agent recruits, "Not only can you have a good chance or earning a Super Bowl ring, you can be a part of a team where we really care about each other, and we have fun too."  I imagine they can land some top notch veterans and maybe not have to pay quite as much as a bottom dweller.  Come to think of it, so can Buffalo LOL.

This is like the contrast of the Golden State Warriors to the Spurs.  The Warriors have fun playing a fun style which is part of Steve Kerr’s philosophy and they win. It’s great watching the players cheering from the bench.  The Spurs style is methodical and they have a strict former Marine as coach and the players on the bench sit there quietly. They also have been winning for 20 years with 5 titles.  You can easily tell they’re not having as much fun as the Warriors 

Edited by LittleJoeCartwright

19 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

No that's not the " theory" you idiot. The rings are not evidence if any environment. The point is that most players don't stick around long enough to be on all or most of those SB teams. Those who say " I'd rather take the 5 rings" are making a huge assumption that has little to do with the facts. Most players on the Pats ( and other teams) come and go rather quickly. They aren't looking at their job the same way that a Tom Brady would. Many ex Pats players have said it's a horrible environment over there, I'm not making it up. This thread is discussing what that work environment is like from a players perspective , not a fans . There is little chance that Lane Johnson or any other player would be accumulating 5 rings in their time with New England because they wouldn't be there long enough. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has referred to Foxboro with that term, because I've heard it used before. Oh, and if you need examples of Pats players acting like tools in interviews you may have never seen one. Or their curmudgeon dickhead coach. 

Yeah I need "many" examples (or even a few) or NE players acting like tools in interviews.  You must have dozens you can reel off the top of your head so let's hear it.

And your "theory" of it being some bad thing that players only are around to get 1-2 rings instead of 5 makes less sense each time you repeat it.

And can you also give some of the many players quoted describing how horrible and environment it is play in Foxboro?  Usually we see the opposite--that players arriving there comment on how different and more professional it is compared to where they came from.

Chris Long before the 2016 season: “If I didn’t have an opportunity to play somewhere I could win, I would have retired. I would have played this year for five dollars—I just wanted to be here.”  He got his ring and moved on.

Chris Hogan was "dying" to join NE.

This from a SI article a while ago (it was an interview with many player agents):

"When prospective players visit Foxborough, they express to their agents a sense of fear but often leave feeling as if they have just met the lone coach who understands their true purpose on a football field.

“With players, there’s a tremendous amount of intimidation because of how the media portrays the team as the evil empire,” says one agent. “But once they meet them, they freaking love [Belichick]. They’re blown away by his personality and how much he knows about the player and his skillset.”

Sounds like hell on earth!

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I’m pretty much not buying the Bills got beat by better talent in the last 3....especially the Redskins, who pretty much had the same team before and after that year and did nothing.

Washington had perfect storm system wins with Doug Williams and Mark Rypien in those Super Bowl runs.

It wasn't expected to happen again.

Every single starter on the Cowboys O those seasons was at worst the third best at his position in the NFL. The NFL had to make sure that could never happen again.  You can probably give me 4 names on the O-line without having been a fan...

Edited by row_33

19 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'll concede the point about that Redskins team. They were the classic " team of destiny" that just had a miracle year by the QB and others where everything went their way. They did exploit the Bills inability to stop the run , and I'll still maintain that a space gobbling NT would have went further toward bringing the Bills a title than any kind of structure or change in way of doing things. They were a soft D that was erratic with occasional big plays thrown in. It was an Achilles heal vs the tough physical NFC style of football. I think the Bills might have won a SB if they had played the 49 ers twice and not the Cowboys. 

There was a huge difference between the 1991 and 1992 Skins - the difference between an utterly dominant Jim Lachey, the best LT in football at the time, and a hurt Jim Lachey. He was never the same after 1991 because of injuries. That 1991 Skins team succeeded because of its dominant line. Check out Lachey's AV in 1991. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LachJi00.htm

On 2/11/2018 at 12:10 PM, reddogblitz said:

You Are what your record says you are. 

And their record said they were a non-playoff team in a very weak division with an extremely easy schedule, a year after they went 16-0 with Brady against a tough schedule.

Brady has been a huge part of their success there. I'm so happy we dodged a bullet with Garoppolo being traded. Thank you, Mr. Kraft.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 2/12/2018 at 2:50 AM, BillsFan692 said:

At this point, are the patriots fans even having fun?

The ones I know are having a blast. Guess you prefer spitting into a hurricane and hoping it doesn't come back at you. How is that working out?