Yes or no to a stopgap QB?

Luxy312

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Peterman isn’t an option. That is clear.

In terms of a stop gap, it depends on the player that you pick in the draft. If it is Rosen or Mayfield you can add a guy that is meant to be a backup. I’ve thrown out Trevor Siemian if he shakes loose. He’s not great but can play for a couple of weeks for cheap.

If I get a guy like Allen or Jackson that needs to sit a year, a stopgap is necessary. That would be Bradford, Tyrod, Teddy, Keenum, or McCown. There may be some others too but a guy that can play for a year. 

You give all your QB's one full game only?

A rookie QB will be crucified by this fan base.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

What are your thoughts on Allen btw?

A lot of talent but pretty scary. He wouldn’t be my first choice and I think that he needs to sit a whole year. There are some things that I like about him though. 

12 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Please no Siemian!  He's horrid.  I also wouldn't want McCown as he's too brittle and not very good. 

As a number 2 you could do much worse. 

5 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

You give all your QB's one full game only?

A rookie QB will be crucified by this fan base.

No, he just sucks. He wasn’t a good prospect, that’s why the Bills passed on him 4 times and NFL teams 170 times. If a guy sucks, he sucks. He isn’t a starting QB and may not be a backup (which I thought he certainly could be coming out). What he struggled with in college has been worse as a pro. He wouldn’t have been drafted in 2018. He isn’t competing for the starting job!!! He is competing for a roster spot.

Edited by Kirby Jackson
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Nothing, and that's the point.  Why pay someone else to be a placeholder for a couple of years, just for the sake of filling in a position with mediocre talent?  Taylor, Bradford, Bridgewater, Henne, Stanton, McCown, etc. would all get a decent paycheck to be starters here.  Why bother if they're not the future.  For Peterman, he's under contract through 2020 and they can basically wait and see what they have with him.

Maybe because most people would think that winning "only" 8 or 9 games is better than losing 13 or 14?

Peterman doesn't have an NFL arm, so his ceiling has always been limited.  He doesn't appear to be the supposedly "cerebral" and "pro ready" QB he was thought to be in college.  In a perfect world, he wouldn't even be on the Bills roster on opening day.  If he's their starter, it's going to be a long season for the faithful.

9 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

A lot of talent but pretty scary. He wouldn’t be my first choice and I think that he needs to sit a whole year. There are some things that I like about him though. 

I'm in the same boat. He just strikes me as boom or bust and it is a lot closer to the bust side...His accuracy scares me off

There is no such thing as a stop gap QB. The people running the Bills want to win every game. They spend much less time on this topic than fans do. You have to remember that even the coaching staff is on a short leash. It’s a results oriented business and there are few guarantees that this savior rookie that many on here are pining for will ever amount to anything!

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No, he just sucks. He wasn’t a good prospect, that’s why the Bills passed on him 4 times and NFL teams 170 times. If a guy sucks, he sucks. He isn’t a starting QB and may not be a backup (which I thought he certainly could be coming out). What he struggled with in college has been worse as a pro. He wouldn’t have been drafted in 2018. He isn’t competing for the starting job!!! He is competing for a roster spot.

So to summarize you:

Only a 1st rd QB should get playing time to prove himself? Kirby, this reply is BS on so many levels. I don't need to pop out names of late draft or undrafted QBs as your a knowledgeable fan.  Giving the guy a knee jerk Start against LA and half a game against Indy proves - ZERO.

I'm not saying he should start either.

7 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

So to summarize you:

Only a 1st rd QB should get playing time to prove himself? Kirby, this reply is BS on so many levels. I don't need to pop out names of late draft or undrafted QBs as your a knowledgeable fan.  Giving the guy a knee jerk Start against LA and half a game against Indy proves - ZERO.

I'm not saying he should start either.

No to summarize, he lacked arm strength, was bad under pressure and not terribly accurate coming out. They called him “Nervous Nate” in college. He was a heady player that was thought to be “NFL ready” because he could get through his progressions. He wasn’t like Allen. He was drafted as high as he was because of the mental side not the physical side. When he got to the pros, he didn’t have the arm strength & accuracy to fit balls into the smaller windows. It resulted in a boat load of turnovers. He was atrocious when rushed. He was a worse version of the guy people feared he would be. Feel free to dispute any and all of that but do so with facts and videos that debunk it. The guy doesn’t suck because he was a 5th round pick, he sucks because he is a bad QB.

15 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Maybe because most people would think that winning "only" 8 or 9 games is better than losing 13 or 14?

Peterman doesn't have an NFL arm, so his ceiling has always been limited.  He doesn't appear to be the supposedly "cerebral" and "pro ready" QB he was thought to be in college.  In a perfect world, he wouldn't even be on the Bills roster on opening day.  If he's their starter, it's going to be a long season for the faithful.

Given the number of data points, I don't know as though we can say anything about Peterman at this point.  Did he have a rough start in his roughly 1.5 games started?  Sure, and it was rougher than most.  Still, there's lots of QB's that don't hit the ground running.  That's really all I'm getting at.  In terms of wanting to win 8 or 9 versus losing 13 or 14, I'll take the latter.  The Bills are not going to contend for anything winning 8 or 9 games.  Using this year as an example, would I rather take 9 wins and a first round exit in the playoffs or pick where the Giants do in the 2018 draft?  Definitively, I'll take the #2 draft pick.  There's talk in WNY of them trading both first rounders plus NEXT year's first rounder to get that #2 pick.  Craziness.

31 minutes ago, Luxy312 said:

Given the number of data points, I don't know as though we can say anything about Peterman at this point.  Did he have a rough start in his roughly 1.5 games started?  Sure, and it was rougher than most.  Still, there's lots of QB's that don't hit the ground running.  That's really all I'm getting at.  In terms of wanting to win 8 or 9 versus losing 13 or 14, I'll take the latter.  The Bills are not going to contend for anything winning 8 or 9 games.  Using this year as an example, would I rather take 9 wins and a first round exit in the playoffs or pick where the Giants do in the 2018 draft?  Definitively, I'll take the #2 draft pick.  There's talk in WNY of them trading both first rounders plus NEXT year's first rounder to get that #2 pick.  Craziness.

So the objective of a new GM and coach is to lose out to get a better pick in the draft.  Got it.

46 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

No to summarize, he lacked arm strength, was bad under pressure and not terribly accurate coming out. They called him “Nervous Nate” in college. He was a heady player that was thought to be “NFL ready” because he could get through his progressions. He wasn’t like Allen. He was drafted as high as he was because of the mental side not the physical side. When he got to the pros, he didn’t have the arm strength & accuracy to fit balls into the smaller windows. It resulted in a boat load of turnovers. He was atrocious when rushed. He was a worse version of the guy people feared he would be. Feel free to dispute any and all of that but do so with facts and videos that debunk it. The guy doesn’t suck because he was a 5th round pick, he sucks because he is a bad QB.

Relax, KJ. It's not like you to get all lathered up.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Blowing a lot smoke here. Now I need stats and videos to tell you that a half game of horrible QB play is not enough to judge a QB's career in his first rushed start? OK

So a half of a football game is all you need to make your assessment? He looked just fine against the Colts his 2nd game. If you expect a rookie QB to be thrown in a starter role with less than 4 days to prepare on the road to just tear it up your kidding yourself. He wasn't READY....

He was brought in as a development QB to begin with, throwing the 5th rounder under the bus is lame after 60 mins of playing time total in his career.

Cast your vote however you feel fit. I tend to reserve my judgment after a larger sample size. 

Edited by Real McCoy

14 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

Just draft Mayfield and be don with it... no need for a stop gap... dude is a 4 year starter and can play right away imo.

Agree. There is something special about Mayfield. If he were 6'3", I think he would be going #1. He might still.

He just seems to have that fire in his eye.  I remember years ago driving in N.E. right after Brady took over for Bledsoe. Sports radio was discussing who should be the QB when Bledsoe returns. I remember the sports announcer saying that Bledsoe was history. He could just see that intangible something in Brady - whatever "it" is, Brady had it. He was right. 

I'm sure that Mayfield has his plusses & minuses like everyone else, but in my opinion he has a lot more plusses.

I have a feeling that he is going number 1.

I hope that I am wrong as I would love to see him in a Bills uniform.

13 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Blowing a lot smoke here. Now I needs stats and videos to tell you that a half game of horrible QB play is not enough to judge a QB's career in his first rushed start? OK

So a half of a football game is all you need to make your assessment? He looked just fine against the Colts his 2nd game. If you expect a rookie QB to be thrown in a starter role with less than 4 days to prepare on the road to just tear it up your kidding yourself. He wasn't READY....

He was brought in as a development QB to begin with, throwing the 5th rounder under the bus is lame after 60 mins of playing time total in his career.

Cast your vote however you feel fit. I tend to reserve my judgment after a larger sample size. 

I don't think you will change any minds on Peterman. It's just easy to say Peterman sucks. Chances are they are probably gonna be right because the NFL is hard. 

It's not unreasonable to think that with another shot the rookie can progress. A few on here would not give him that shot. I respect thier opinion. Although on the off chance Peterman is good I'll be reminding a few people that were so adamant that he sucks giving him no shadow of a doubt.

Edited by Lfod
  • Thank you (+1) 1

If we trade up for one of the big 3 QBs (I consider that to be Darnold/Rosen/Mayfield), then I would not mind bringing in Bradford. Injuries, I know, but if he can give us 2-4 games either after beating out the rookie (he has the talent) or coming off the bench, then he would be worth it as he will likely be fairly cheap. 

15 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

Blowing a lot smoke here. Now I needs stats and videos to tell you that a half game of horrible QB play is not enough to judge a QB's career in his first rushed start? OK

how many 5th round QBs even get 60 mins of game time ?   many of them never get to see the field before they are out of NFL