Chiefs trade Alex Smith to washington

Castellar

5 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

That wasn't his track record. It was the team's. HIs track record is playing QB an awful lot better than Tyrod has for several years now.

And how far did that get them? QB is  by FAR the position on the team that can have the greatest influejce on winning and losing.  Just ask the Colts or Texans

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The going rate for decent starting QB's in $20 to $25 Mil.    The Bills would have been on the hook for Taylor for near $30 Million had they not restructured his deal.   

Nobody in their right mind believed Tyrod would have seen that contract... Not even Tyrod.

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

McCloughan was VP Player Personnel there at that time, not GM. And changing your mind with new info is smart.

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think this is a bad look for McCloughan at all.

No I wasn't trying to portray it as a bad look.  Just as stating the bleeding obvious.  

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm not sure about Jax.

Khan said he's sticking with Blake, but who knows.

Jets and us are probably a tossup, part of that cap space is because of a bad roster.

If we can come close to the Jets I think he'd pick us.

The rest I agree with

I don't know man. I watched the Jets kick the snot out of us on Thursday night in the stands in the endzone. We looked like a college team that night. The Jets have talent and are on the rise. I'd argue that the level of talent is pretty close, plus they have like 72 million in cap and when they cut Wilkerson and Buster Skrine it's going to be closer to 100 million. If Cousins goes there they will make the playoffs in my opinion. Sign Cousins and reciever like Sammy Watkins and they will be good to go. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

Washington was ravaged with injuries and has probably one of the top 5 TEs in the league in Jordan Reed, a pretty good running game with a solid line (when healthy), and a good offensive coach.  Cousins and Washington never saw his value on the same plane and that's why they didn't secure him.  And Washington isn't a team that plays it cheaply when it comes to paying players.  So people need to start putting the pieces together on this puzzle - Cousins ceiling is what you've seen with Gruden and it's not likely that he is going to go just anywhere and be as successful.  He's a decent QB, but he is not going to be looking for anything but a big payday - and if you think that lip service about going to a winner matters, then you are delusional - that's called marketing yourself, and getting the fans of whatever team he signs with excited that a coveted FA QB thinks your team is a winner.

Washington believes that Cousins is a product of their offensive scheme more than he is a franchise worthy QB.  They have had plenty of time to lock him up long term and chose not to do so.  Heck, they believe Alex Smith is worth the money more than he is which says a lot.

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Washington believes that Cousins is a product of their offensive scheme more than he is a franchise worthy QB.  They have had plenty of time to lock him up long term and chose not to do so.  Heck, they believe Alex Smith is worth the money more than he is which says a lot.

That's the same thing I see.

10 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Agree it's common around the league. 

Which is is why I find it funny when Bills fans destroy Tyrod the way they do as if he is the only QB who has bad games. 

Can you have one post where you aren't mentioning Tyrod? Dude is garbage, it's over. 

7 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I think Zona fits in there too 

They are an option.  

http://www.azcardinals.com/roster/player-roster.html

their roster has an avg age of 28.   Beyond Larry Fitzgerald, who do they have?   I don't think many stars (I could be very wrong) 

Rams, Seahawks, and 49ers.    If Garoppolo pans out I see 3rd or 4th in the division  

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

If this were true, why did that trade two 1000 yard receivers and their aging but top RB last season? 

7 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Or maybe they felt Alex Smith was worth the $23mil a year vs $30+ for Kirk?

They aren't being paid the same.

Again.

If you honestly believe Alex Smith is better than Kirk you don't watch football.

You can say "I'd rather pay Smith $23 than Kirk $30+" which is a fair statement.

To think that Smith is an upgrade or even equal though is just absurd.

Your argument is that the Redskins front office and ownership (who do not have a good track record) assessed cousins as not worth it?

What about the chiefs and reid who have an excellent track record assessing that Smith wasn't good enough to keep?

5 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

They are an option.  

http://www.azcardinals.com/roster/player-roster.html

their roster has an avg age of 28.   Beyond Larry Fitzgerald, who do they have?   I don't think many stars (I could be very wrong) 

Rams, Seahawks, and 49ers.    If Garoppolo pans out I see 3rd or 4th in the division  

If this were true, why did that trade two 1000 yard receivers and their aging but top RB last season? 

Uhh, they didn't? Both were free agents that got payed more than what the Redskins thought they were worth.  Same thing they have decided with Cousins...he wants to get paod more than he is worth...dont understand why people cant understand this...you don't pay for a BMW i7 and then get a Toyota Camry

35 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

In what way? Alex Smith wins games during the regular season, Cousins doesn't.  4,000 yard passing seasons dont get you the playoffs, wins do.

Yes I realize a QB cant do it by himself but it is the position with the highest influence on them.

Saints

2014: 7-9

2015: 7-9

2016: 7-9

2017: 11-5

Saints defense in scoring

2014: 27th

2015: 32nd

2016: 31st

2017: 10th

Would you not take Brees, because he can't hide the other problems on his team?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Again.

If you honestly believe Alex Smith is better than Kirk you don't watch football.

You can say "I'd rather pay Smith $23 than Kirk $30+" which is a fair statement.

Your argument is that the Redskins front office and ownership (who do not have a good track record) assessed cousins as not worth it?

What about the chiefs and reid who have an excellent track record assessing that Smith wasn't good enough to keep?

You dont understand football anything past looking at statistics that much is clear.

You can put up huge stats but not win games. Once again, playing situational football well as a QB is responsible for winning more games as a QB than anything else.  Cousins does NOT play situational football well. 

Period. I don't care about stats. Stats domt wim you games. Playing situational football well does.

The challenge for you is to actually UNDERSTAND what you sre watching on a deeper level than just stats and yards. I'm not sure you are capable of doing that based on your posts.

Edited by matter2003

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Yep - they also watched him show his mediocrity down the stretch of the season 10 TDs/8 Ints 217 pass ypg in last 6 games and didn't play that well in divisional games (teams that play him most).  I live in DC, and people are torn about what this trade means about losing Cousins, but I think it speaks volumes about how the team views his talent.  He wasn't very impressive before Gruden got to DC, and I'm not saying that he hasn't improved, but it's far from a sure thing that he will go somewhere and light it up.  There is going to be buyer's remorse somewhere.

1 minute ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Saints

New Orleans had historically bad defenses for much if that time, Washington hasn't.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan2313 said:

Saints

2014 is the best defense Brees has ever failed to get to the playoffs with in NO.  When their D ranks 26th or better they make the playoffs 100% of the time with Drew Brees.  That 2015 and 2016 run was one of the worst 2 season defensive runs in NFL history.  Even Drew couldn't cover for that. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Zerovotlz said:

Today is a great day...and I want to thank the Bills organization and by extension the fans for helping to bring it all about with that trade last season.  

From a KC perspective....We have a very ready Mahomes, and we get out from under Smith, get cap space, a thrid round pick AND...this is the important part....Fuller, a corner who would absolutely go in the first round of this years draft, under his PALTRY rookie contract for two more years.  That is BETTER than actually getting a first round pick....you know he isn't a bust already and he's pennies on the dollar cheap for a high end corner that would cost MILLIONS on the open market.  ....I am going to use a very tasteless term to describe what happend today....but KC plunger raped the Redskins.

It would seem at least the Redskins have looked at this QB class and said "no thanks"   The Browns made the phone call to KC...that doesn't mean they weren't going to draft a guy, but it tells you that whoever they are going to take, they don't think will start day 1.  That isn't usually the case when you invest the 1/1 in a QB.  

The Bills are going to go through the Kirk Cousins bidding war, and trying to convert the 21st and 22nd overall pics, OR going with Tyrod and Peterman, OR signing someone like Bradford when all you had to do was use the 10th overall pick you had last year and avoid all this uncertainty.  You had Mahomes and Watson right there, under the tree with shiny wrapping paper and nice big bow...and you punted.

The Chiefs did fleece the Redskins on this trade. Of course if Mahomes becomes the next big arm with poor mechanics QB to bust in the NFL, this trade won't matter. You could do a lot worse than Alex Smith. He had the highest passer rating in the league. I wouldn't expect him to repeat that but I definitely don't expect Mahomes to even come close.

7 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Again.

Alex Smith in Gruden's offense is a perfect fit, a seasoned veteran that knows what to do and makes the right throws, even if he isn't exciting.  Yes it was partially money at play, but it was more about getting a guy that wanted to be there and could be inserted into the Offense without any hickups.   Gruden has made other guys at QB like Colt McCoy look good in Washington.  He is a good offensive coach, but the team hasn't been that good on Defense (they looked better last year but that seemed to be more about having some good talent than coaching, because once injuries piled up they were mediocre).  We shall see how well Cousins does somewhere else and Smith in Washington, but my guess is that Smith will actually be better for Washington than Cousins will be for someone else.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

2014 is the best defense Brees has ever failed to get to the playoffs with in NO.  When their D ranks 26th or better they make the playoffs 100% of the time with Drew Brees.  That 2015 and 2016 run was one of the worst 2 season defensive runs in NFL history.  Even Drew couldn't cover for that. 

Rob Ryan was their DC...enough said.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Smith is at this point.

When Smith was a younger QB, he had many of the same issues we see with TT - not seeing open guys, not being willing to take a shot and push the ball down the field, squirting out of the pocket when he sensed pressure instead of stepping up into a lane. 

By his 5th year or so he was reading the D and making progressions.  After being traded to KC, he became both a better runner, and more willing to step up on the pocket.  But if you know where to look you can still see his younger self (ie TT).  It's in his QB DNA.

Holy Guacamole, 4 years/$94M, $71M guaranteed. 

I wonder if there's a room in his house where Smith has this and similar framed, to look at while he counts his $$

All fair points. I’m just saying as of right now in 2018, Smith Is much better than TT my opinion.

I personally think Tyrod has hit his ceiling as well and won’t progress like Smith did, but I guess time will tell

Edited by billsfan11
  • Like (+1) 1