Goodell Is "Concerned" with the NFL's Catch Rule and Wants Clarity - Catch Rule Simplified

It's amazing how this was never an issue for like 80 years and then suddenly these idiots are ruining playoff games over it.   #DezShotFirst

One of the worst aspects of human nature is the need to 'fix' things that aren't broken.   

[See also:  replay, Instant.]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Goodell Is "Concerned" with the NFL's Catch Rule and Wants Clarity - Catch Rule Simplified
4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This won't help IMO. #3 is a dealbreaker...just use 'control' (nebulous but at least familiar) and 2 feet/body part down. Full stop.

It's good that they got rid of that surviving the ground nonsense.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It's good that they got rid of that surviving the ground nonsense.

The 'survive the ground' concept I never understood...a play is supposedly dead when a runner is down (this is by contact, obviously, but it should apply equally and just as easily to a guy who's caught a pass without being touched), so as soon as he hits the deck he's technically down. What they did was extend the life of a given play beyond what was ever intended...they didn't just make a horrible catch rule, they broke the laws of football-spacetime.

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I see the "football move" nonsense is still part of the catch rule.

10 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

This won't help IMO. #3 is a dealbreaker...just use 'control' (nebulous but at least familiar) and 2 feet/body part down. Full stop.

It has to be included, otherwise the moment the ball hits a guy's hands with 2 feet down, he'll be awarded a catch.  With the ability to slow down replay, there needs to be a 3rd component of a catch.

It can't be a time requirement, because you'd be drawing an arbitrary line in the sand.  The ability to perform a football move is a catch-all that allows for some discretion.

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

It has to be included, otherwise the moment the ball hits a guy's hands with 2 feet down, he'll be awarded a catch.  With the ability to slow down replay, there needs to be a 3rd component of a catch.

It can't be a time requirement, because you'd be drawing an arbitrary line in the sand.  The ability to perform a football move is a catch-all that allows for some discretion.

I don't think anybody will mistake a ball hitting a guy's hands for control.

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:26 PM, Original Byrd Man said:

I'm sorry but Godell showed his true colors when he swept Spygate under the carpet and destroyed the evidence.  I've had no respect for him since!

um, the Ray Rice incident anyone?

50 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I don't think anybody will mistake a ball hitting a guy's hands for control.

When a team challenges a catch, and the super-duper-slo-mo replay shows control prior to the ball being dislodged, how do you decide at which point it becomes a catch?

56 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It has to be included to define when a player in motion has caught it. It's not a requirement of all catches . If a player goes up , catches a ball comes down with two feet and immediately is tackled it's obviously a catch. It's just stating that a third step equals the moment a ball is caught when a player is on the move. Or the player could just extend for the goal line a la Jesse James play and that equals a catch, thus a TD when the ball breaks the plane. All looks good to me. 

9 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

When a team challenges a catch, and the super-duper-slo-mo replay shows control prior to the ball being dislodged, how do you decide at which point it becomes a catch?

I'd go something like this:

Replay in super slow mo shows control (can we agree that 'control' is something we can come pretty close to consensus on?), two feet/body part down in bounds, after which ball becomes dislodged so either-

1. It's a fumble if he's inbounds or

2. It's a catch if he's going OOB

I think it's pretty straightforward, honestly. Instead of looking at it as an entire amorphous and subjective collective of things that must occur within this weird extended period of indeterminate time, just do it piecemeal and in order...first, establish control. Second, and while maintaining control, get some part of your body on the floor. Once those two things have been fulfilled, what happens next is a fumble or a fumble recovery.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Bullet 3.3 screws this attempt up. Should have stopped at bullet 3.2

Why do you think bullet 3.3 WAS included ? Obviously more than one high level individual at meetings thought this was a good idea. 

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dumb tweet IMO. Bills fans didn't have a problem with this one because it's indisputable that, by the NFL's interpretation of the catch rule in 2017, Clay didn't 'survive the ground'. Benjamin's was ruled a TD and there was no indisputable video evidence to the contrary. Same application of the rule, as Brown correctly points out, but vastly different situations which is why I think this tweet is dumbdumbdumb.

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Dumb tweet IMO. Bills fans didn't have a problem with this one because it's indisputable that, by the NFL's interpretation of the catch rule in 2017, Clay didn't 'survive the ground'. Benjamin's was ruled a TD and there was no indisputable video evidence to the contrary. Same application of the rule, as Brown correctly points out, but vastly different situations which is why I think this tweet is dumbdumbdumb.

How is it dumb with the point that it would be a TD in 2018?  He's right. 

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

How is it dumb with the point that it would be a TD in 2018?  He's right. 

That part is correct and not dumb. But to conflate the two by framing them in Bills fans’ respective outrage or lack thereof is very dumb.

8 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

That part is correct and not dumb. But to conflate the two by framing them in Bills fans’ respective outrage or lack thereof is very dumb.

it's all we got, have a heart GB808...

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Why do you think bullet 3.3 WAS included ? Obviously more than one high level individual at meetings thought this was a good idea. 

And they thought the old catch rule was a good idea too. So?

so tell me what it an ability to make a football move 

21 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

So can someone explain/define what the "line-to-gain" is?  Seems vague which to me can mean, open for interpretation by the refs.

it's made up on the spot by officials and then the replay people

you can't carve in stone every situation, they can often mess up what is pointedly obvious.