Eric Wood's Cap Hit

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I dont know how common it is and cant find the numbers online easily but there are probably at least 100 players in the league with injury guarantees.   80 would be from the last 4 drafts and then others like Wood.  Regardless, the Bills signed on the dotted line so there is no recourse right?

Of course not

Wood deserves every penny... he was the perfect Bill during the drought 

i just think that 8-11 million cap hit will hurt 

16 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Of course not

Wood deserves every penny... he was the perfect Bill during the drought 

i just think that 8-11 million cap hit will hurt 

Definitely but wiht they way they purged the high priced guys I think this regime might be taking a different tact regarding personnel that involves young, poorer and cheaper players on short contracts.   The cap will be in awesome shape after this next year.

Like I said before, I think that he'll either get the $4.8M guaranteed portion of his 2018 salary or get to keep the $4.3M in unamortized bonus, but not both.  We'll see though.

And apparently things aren't exactly cut-and-dried about his retirement.  Maybe they'll now keep him on the roster to lessen the cap hit for next year? 

Edited by Doc

20 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Bottom line..........never was any reason to extend Eric Wood's contract.

Didn't need the cap space.

Utter stupidity by team McD.

That and the McCoy incentives were reminiscent of the Buddy Nix/Chris Kelsay "good soldier" contract extension.

This Wood situation really came back to bite them.

Hopefully someone within the organization writes it down this time so they don't forget not to do stupid **** like that again.:doh:

On the plus side Ryan Groy is probably the better player and should have been starting anyway and they have him for one more year.

I guess kudos for looking on the bright side, but Groy is not better than Wood...

Groy filled in admirably when called upon, but he hasnt been a consistent top 10 center in the NFL for almost 10 years, he has been a back up and something tells me there is a reason for that. 

Might Groy turn into a damn fine center for us if given the opportunity? Hell yea he could, and for our sake I really hope he does...but its crazy to say Groy is better and should have started over Wood lol 

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

The NFL doesn't guarantee contracts.

players retire all the time because injury and their teams don't get hit with cap hits... i have always been under that assumption 

unless you can show me that it happens a lot i was never under that assumption... NFL contracts were never guaranteed unless the player got special verbiage 

The contrats are guarenteed because they are written that way... A medical retirement is the same as being injured an unable to play. A decision to just no longer play the game is a different story... This is where you are confused.. Medical Retirement is different than normal retirement.

12 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

The contrats are guarenteed because they are written that way... A medical retirement is the same as being injured an unable to play. A decision to just no longer play the game is a different story... This is where you are confused.. Medical Retirement is different than normal retirement.

But not a lot of contracts in the NFL are guaranteed for medical retirement 

only the top 20 picks and that's fairly new...

it doesn't matter, wood deserves everything . The cap hit sucks as of now and that's a fact. That was my only point 

no other player on our team besides a top 20 pick has that injury clause besides Wood and maybe kyle Williams 

TT definitely doesn't 

Edited by Buffalo716

12 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

I guess kudos for looking on the bright side, but Groy is not better than Wood...

Groy filled in admirably when called upon, but he hasnt been a consistent top 10 center in the NFL for almost 10 years, he has been a back up and something tells me there is a reason for that. 

Might Groy turn into a damn fine center for us if given the opportunity? Hell yea he could, and for our sake I really hope he does...but its crazy to say Groy is better and should have started over Wood lol 

I think Groy proved himself in the 8 games he played at C in 2016.    It wasn't some tiny sample size,  he finished the Seattle game strong and started the next 7.   He was better than Wood was in 2016.   He's also bigger and stronger.   Players get old and get surpassed.   That's life in the NFL.

As for Wood being a consistent top 10 center for a decade.........also disagree.    In fact he was AWFUL in the two years with Marrone......trying to take on bigger DT's head-to-head all day he got manhandled.  Even he admitted that had played poorly and may be cut after Marrone year 2.  

The change to Roman's system allowed him to get better angles on blocks which covered up his weakness at the POA.   Groy is bigger and less overwhelmed head-up on a NT but he also proved very effective in Roman's system so he should be fine however Daboll decides to play it.

Contract wise and cap wise - I think it's too bad they couldn't put some of that on the 2017 cap if room were left over....  UNLESS - Wood were to ever play again, they they'd have to move that portion to the current/next year. (this would avoid teams trying to game the rule).  The key reason here being - we are still in the 2017 season at this point.

Maybe that is the case - and some of it was applied to 2017....

On 1/27/2018 at 4:04 PM, JR in Pittsburgh said:

This is actually a good point. I wonder if they could IR him and work out an “injury settlement” or even whether he would agree to renegotiate his deal to offset the cap hit (get same cash but spread it out?) immediately followed by his release.

They can... it is why he didnt announce he was "retiring" today. It is better for the team if he has a normal off season and then PUP/IR in the spring. However, the tricky part is working through the CBA. IMO, EWood is doing us a solid by not bowing out now due to injury. Interesting nonetheless.

56 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

But not a lot of contracts in the NFL are guaranteed for medical retirement 

only the top 20 picks and that's fairly new...

it doesn't matter, wood deserves everything . The cap hit sucks as of now and that's a fact. That was my only point 

no other player on our team besides a top 20 pick has that injury clause besides Wood and maybe kyle Williams 

TT definitely doesn't 

I disagree.. I think they very much are... you get injured and can no longer play, your contract is signed and you get paid. medical retirment is no different than unable to continue to play catostrophic injury 

1 minute ago, ddaryl said:

I disagree.. I think they very much are... you get injured and can no longer play, your contract is signed and you get paid. medical retirment is no different than unable to continue to play catostrophic injury 

The CBA states it is not standard in all NFL contracts .

but I'm done arguing something that is pointless... I'm glad wood is ok and I hope he lives a long healthy life

Edited by Buffalo716

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

The CBA states it is not standard in all NFL contracts .

but I'm done arguing something that is pointless... I'm glad wood is ok and I hope he lives a long healthy life

I agree its pointless..  don't know a single person / lawyer who would sacrifice themselves without injury protection... or why anyone feels the Bills did something bad here.

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

I agree its pointless..  don't know a single person / lawyer who would sacrifice themselves without injury protection... or why anyone feels the Bills did something bad here.

Again I never thought what they did was bad. It is a very good thing from a personal standpoint and I'm praying for Eric

i was just stating that the cap hit is bad from a business standpoint.

you could be right . More players may have injury clauses than I know , it certainly isn't public till it happens 

22 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Again I never thought what they did was bad. It is a very good thing from a personal standpoint and I'm praying for Eric

i was just stating that the cap hit is bad from a business standpoint.

you could be right . More players may have injury clauses than I know , it certainly isn't public till it happens 

Took us long enough but we found that common ground..

From the Bills perspective, how do you look a model soldier in the eye and tell them sorry no guarentees for you... it was a gamble / calculated risk... but Woods deserved his guarentees.. He was a good soldier

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Took us long enough but we found that common ground..

From the Bills perspective, how do you look a model soldier in the eye and tell them sorry no guarentees for you... it was a gamble / calculated risk... but Woods deserved his guarentees.. He was a good soldier

I actually agreed with you a page back but I didn't quote you so I don't blame you if you didn't see it

Wood deserves every penny he has ever gotten and deserves any guarantees and incentives that his contract may have 

he was a model Player and citizen here for nearly a decade. He has came back from numerous heart wrenching injuries and I definitely valued him as a Bill

he will be missed 

5 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I actually agreed with you a page back but I didn't quote you so I don't blame you if you didn't see it

Wood deserves every penny he has ever gotten and deserves any guarantees and incentives that his contract may have 

he was a model Player and citizen here for nearly a decade. He has came back from numerous heart wrenching injuries and I definitely valued him as a Bill

he will be missed 

Yeah caught that.. Just saying in regards to the contract hit it leaves in the wake. How do you avoid that especially with a player like Woods.. You can't without losing face, which may cost us more in the future as other players take notice,  so we live with the cap hit

Just now, ddaryl said:

Yeah caught that.. Just saying in regards to the contract hit it leaves in the wake. How do you avoid that especially with a player like Woods.. You can't without losing face, which may cost us more in the future as other players take notice,  so we live with the cap hit

I agree 

• Thank you (+1) 1