QB: Mike White WKU

27 minutes ago, simool said:

I have watched a bunch of his games and I don't see those problems with him.  Cover1 seems to think he excels at the quick game . Be more careful with the football?  The kid hardly throws interceptions and has never fumbled.  I am not saying he does not have issues, I just don't see those that you pointed out.

At the point PFF is calling him a Day 2 pick before the senior bowl and some of those stats they list...  I don't know man, looks pretty solid to me.

I am not saying he isnt a good prospect, I just dont think he is a late first round pick.  However, the statement he hardly throws interceptions isnt accurate.  He averages close to an interception a game, which is fine but he wasnt scoring enough to counteract that fact.  On top of that the kid is a 5th year senior who started 42 games and just this year made it to 21 wins. 

In two games against quality opponents these were his stats

2014 vs Wisconsin 8/19 173 0 TD/1 INT

2016 vs Alabama 10/24 135 0 TD/1 INT

Again I have no problem talking about him as a third round pick.  But if youre talking about a 1st round pick I want a guy who is less of a roll of the dice.  And outside of stats, Ive watched the games too.  He does a great job of looking off.  But he has some trouble with accuracy at the middle range and he does hold the ball too long from time to time.

Edited by thenorthremembers

He is a day 2 prospect that I would be interested in. If you can't get any of the top 4, I would rather wait till day 2. People are putting way too many QBs in 1st. History shows that you will get 4 and maybe a 5th will sneak in later in the round. People thinking White is going round 1 are saying 7 QBs will go in first. Let me know when that happened last. 

On January 25, 2018 at 10:56 AM, ndirish1978 said:

I don't get returning to the well of "let's take a non-elite QB." We have gone that route since JK retired with the exception of Manuel and it has never worked.  

While watching this Senior Bowl, I flashed back to the one in 2013 that EJ played in.  It was somewhat a boring poorly played 21-16 game with EJ throwing a TD pass and scoring on a run to get game MVP.  This game was way different with the QBs lighting it up.  I wonder if it had something to do with the head coaches, with O'Brien as coach of the South team.  Both head coaches of that 2013 game were defensive coaches (Schwartz and Dennis Allen).

Now, despite the fact EJ was a Senior Bowl MVP,  I value more how QBs played in this game with NFL coaches and NFL caliber defenders than how they look at the combine running around in shorts throwing to uncovered receivers.  Given that, reports from the practices said that Josh Allen didn't look that good missing badly to uncovered receivers.  He didn't look that good in the 1st half but played much better in the 2nd half so maybe he's a gamer.   Mike White and Lauletta also looked good.  Personally I feel a little better about this year's crop of QBs than I did before this game.  Unfortunately we have to wait 3 more months for the draft.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I am not saying he isnt a good prospect, I just dont think he is a late first round pick.  However, the statement he hardly throws interceptions isnt accurate.  He averages close to an interception a game, which is fine but he wasnt scoring enough to counteract that fact.  On top of that the kid is a 5th year senior who started 42 games and just this year made it to 21 wins. 

In two games against quality opponents these were his stats

2014 vs Wisconsin 8/19 173 0 TD/1 INT

2016 vs Alabama 10/24 135 0 TD/1 INT

Again I have no problem talking about him as a third round pick.  But if youre talking about a 1st round pick I want a guy who is less of a roll of the dice.  And outside of stats, Ive watched the games too.  He does a great job of looking off.  But he has some trouble with accuracy at the middle range and he does hold the ball too long from time to time.

I wouldn't take him in the first either. We could probably wait and draft him with our second round pick. Saying that if the Bills know that is our guy, then they better trade up to the top of round 2 because there is no reason to risk it. 

The Wisconsin game was early in his career so I would throw that out. I never judge QBs anymore watching Alabama tape. I remember watching Dak Prescotts Alabama tape and he looked horrific, I thought he would be a bust (I didn't watch any other games on him that year). I don't think Tom Brady would be able to do anything against Alabama's D with Western Kentucky's offence. His WRs were absolutely blanketed and his oline got destroyed on almost every play. 

FAU is a really good opponent. I posted that game above. 

Edited by billspro

4 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

His throws are horrible...

His performance against Middle Tennessee State was better than that one. He still looks pretty rough accuracy wise IMO though and seems to take a long time to go from seeing a guy get open to actually throwing the ball to him.

After the Senior Bowl and going back and watching some more of him, I’d probably bump him ahead of Benkert and maybe Ferguson, but I still have him around my #10 or 11 QB in the class. 

12 hours ago, 1ZAYDAY1 said:

3 different schemes in 4 years. He has the size, arm strength, mechanics etc.

Obvioisly him being at WKU hurts him slightly. 

But it I think he has big potential.

The thing that’s gonna vault him up in early 2nd or somewhere in the 3rd is, Knowledge, what’s between the ears, Character, Leadership etc.

Think he checks a lot of boxes and I won’t be surprised if he goes top 20 picks of round 2. Yes somewhere around 50. 

.....both White and Lauletta made things interesting yesterday......maybe they both fall within the realm draft assessment......

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

It most often winds up being a wasted pick. Show me your evidence to the contrary. 

Nearly all QBs are drafted ahead of their "value." Sorry, the list is too long and you know it. You've painted yourself into a corner on this one. Best to just let it lie.

4 hours ago, DCOrange said:

His performance against Middle Tennessee State was better than that one. He still looks pretty rough accuracy wise IMO though and seems to take a long time to go from seeing a guy get open to actually throwing the ball to him.

After the Senior Bowl and going back and watching some more of him, I’d probably bump him ahead of Benkert and maybe Ferguson, but I still have him around my #10 or 11 QB in the class. 

He has a very long windup, it really freaks me out.

On 1/25/2018 at 12:11 PM, PaattMaann said:

I like the IDEA of drafting Mike White and not having to give up all of our picks to do so....

But I know nothing about Mike White or his potential to be an NFL QB

Here's a chap who seems to think he does nice things with progressions.  White's footwork looks awkward to me on this play but whaddo I know

After awkward body position on a throw from a rollout, a couple nicely placed balls showing better footwork

13 hours ago, zevo said:

I heard this guy on WGR a few weeks back...interesting where they had Mike White ranked.

http://optimumscouting.weebly.com/

I have him graded pretty similar. Late first round early second round prospect, in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

No because Buddy would take one of them in the 1st round and then retire. 

Buddy Nix would take Josh Allen for sure. 

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Here's a chap who seems to think he does nice things with progressions.  White's footwork looks awkward to me on this play but whaddo I know

After awkward body position on a throw from a rollout, a couple nicely placed balls showing better footwork

His Accuracy in football IQ is what really impresses me.