Wyoming’s Josh Allen

RichardLee

13 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Carolina had the #1 scoring offense that year and their passing game was top 10 as well, along with the rushing numbers you mentioned. Even taking away the rushing, Cam was one of the best QBs in the NFL that year. And while Allen isn't as good a runner as Cam is, rushing will absolutely be a part of what he brings to his team.

Yes, like I said he had a lot of TDs. Everything other than TDs was pretty meh.

28th in Completion %

16th in Passing Yards

24th in Passing Yards per Game

7th in YPA

T-7th in Passer Rating (with Tyrod :lol: )

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

15 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

Our tearing down of every first round QB in the draft begins, we do it every year and say "wait till next year so and so comes out", that ***** gotta end, we should be drafting the best possible QB we can afford plus another mid round option, forget any free agent cast off we always seem to waste fans time on.

I agree with this 100%, it's time to go after a QB and stop worrying about what if's.

10 hours ago, RichardLee said:

I haven't seen much on the Wall regarding Josh Allen, who - seemingly - could be drafted with a reasonable trade up.

While a bit raw for the NFL, he looks impressive with tremendous potential. His natural abilities are phenomenal and his downsides seem coachable to me.  He could be developed over a year or two, especially if we landed Alex Smith.

What do you college football guys think?

Chris Brown said he couldn't hit anyone with his passes at Senior Bowl workouts. Couldn't believe he was being discussed in the top 5.

I get the negative feelings on Allen mainly because of his accuracy issues. But there are some things to really like about this kid. 

1. Size. Spare me the Brock Osweiler, Ryan Mallet etc.. Most qbs wash out and don't become franchise quarterbacks so there are going to be lots of examples or guys who did not make it who were big, medium and small. The main thing here is that if you poll 32 NFL GMs and ask them if all things were equal would you prefer a big qb or a small one and you would get 32 GMs taking the bigger qb. As far as playing qb goes, big is better than small. There are many other factors that contribute to being a franchise qb, but having ideal size is just one less hurdle a qb has to overcome on the way to becoming good in the NFL. Allen has ideal height and weight. He has the frame of a Big Ben and vision from within the pocket should not be a problem. 

2. Arm Strength. Allen's arm is elite. His ability to throw the football on a line to the sidelines whether in the pocket or on the run is rare. Plain and simple, he is able to make throws that only a select few can make (ie. Favre, Newton, Stafford, Elway). Again this does not mean everything as Jamarcus Russell had an elite arm, but it is a tremendous asset and it allows a qb who possesses this skill to fit a ball into windows other qbs with a lesser arm cannot. It allows him to utilize areas of the field qbs with a lesser arm cannot. 

3. Hand size. This will be debated but they test this for a reason and in cold weather cities it is much more important. When dealing with cold, snow and rain it is better to have large hands to grip the ball properly. Allen has ideal hand size and one less thing to overcome.

4. Mobility. Especially for his size, Allen is mobile and able to elude defenders and make plays outside the pocket. He does not have elite mobility, but he checks the box in this category and it is one less thing he has to overcome.

5. Toughness and determination. Allen displays toughness both in and out of the pocket. It may have been the Iowa game where he was being chased around the pocket and broke about 9 tackles before literally 6 defenders tackled him to the ground. He often puts his shoulder down when running looking to dish out punishment. I actually believe he needs to be smarter about this but he is not soft and his play will be respected by his teammates. 

6. Has played in a more pro style offense for the college game and has actually taken snaps from under center and used traditional play action. 

7. This is somewhat speculation because I do not know Allen personally but my sense is that he has rural midwest type values. By that I mean, he worked on the farm at a young age and he is not afraid of hard work. Work ethic is extremely important and once a player begins to collect large amounts of $ does that change him. Hard work is not everything but a player can maximize their abilities by working hard. For all the haters, Tyrod Taylor maximizes his ability by working hard. This is why the comparison to Russell is not accurate. 

8. Intangibles. By all accounts Allen has been a positive leader, well respected by his teammates and very coachable. Again positive traits to have. 

There are other things to like, but the above attributes stand out to me from watching and observing him. 

None of this makes Allen a sure fire franchise qb. Again there are many things he needs to improve upon (mechanics and accuracy, anticipation, making smarter decisions with the football and learning when to take chances and give up on a play). Some of these things can be improved upon with coaching, maturity and hard work. Will it be enough, know one knows but he is clearly an interesting prospect because of extremely rare physical gifts. Physical talent that if it can be developed properly, could lead to him being an elite level quarterback. 

Edited by racketmaster

2 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Accuracy needs to take into account surrounding pieces.

The greatest example of this is Russell Wilson.  Look at his numbers between his two college programs.

image.thumb.png.58ed338f89a913b54ca392f51c5af5d3.png

Excellent post. Wilson played 4 years in college and it was not until his 4th year that he played at an elite level. Had Allen stayed another year, maybe he would have put together a much better statistical year. 

59 minutes ago, racketmaster said:

Excellent post. Wilson played 4 years in college and it was not until his 4th year that he played at an elite level. Had Allen stayed another year, maybe he would have put together a much better statistical year. 

Allen would have still been with crappy talent. The major change for Russell was that he was able to play with guys with similar skill levels. 

1 hour ago, racketmaster said:

Again there are many things he needs to improve upon (mechanics and accuracy, anticipation, making smarter decisions with the football and learning when to take chances and give up on a play). Some of these things can be improved upon with coaching, maturity and hard work.

When has a QB ever fixed their mechanics and accuracy once they hit the NFL?

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

When has a QB ever fixed their mechanics and accuracy once they hit the NFL?

To an extent, Matt Stafford, Jay Cutler, Cam Newton, Alex Smith.

And his accuracy wasn't bad in college by any stretch, but Aaron Rodgers tweaked his mechanics a bit and turned into arguably the best passer ever.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

....the Falk kid virtually disappeared from the radar in almost every QB draft discussion.......for you collegiate ball gurus, what happened and is he now back on the radar somewhere in the mix?

Highest Rotations Per Minute = Luke Falk 721.6 RPM Most Throws = Luke Falk 112 throws

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....the Falk kid virtually disappeared from the radar in almost every QB draft discussion.......for you collegiate ball gurus, what happened and is he now back on the radar somewhere in the mix?

Highest Rotations Per Minute = Luke Falk 721.6 RPM Most Throws = Luke Falk 112 throws

He had a pretty bad second half of the season and his arm strength and lack of mobility has always held him back along with the spread offense concerns.

I still think he's probably drafted somewhere between the 3rd and 4th round though.

2 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

He had a pretty bad second half of the season and his arm strength and lack of mobility has always held him back along with the spread offense concerns.

I still think he's probably drafted somewhere between the 3rd and 4th round though.

....appreciate your assessment....:thumbsup:

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I liked him from last year and thought he would be a solid pick. During the season he had several rough games. He was even bench two to three times? Doesn't have amazing arm strength, worked within a Mike Leach spread offense, slim lanky build and his one stand out game for me this season was his win against USC when they were ranked 5th in the nation at the time. He was 34/51 340 yards and 2 touchdowns and 1 INT. He had another good showing against Standford when they were ranked 21st. Seems like a system guy that would fit more within a WC offense. 

Edited by Captain Murica
  • Like (+1) 1