What type of razors do you use for shaving?

Another Fan

On 1/24/2018 at 11:34 PM, Chef Jim said:

Dollar Shave Club.  $9 for their "top of the line" razors shipped every other month   Dump the Gillette Sensor.  DSC is just as good at a fraction of the cost delivered automatically to your door. 

Yep. Been using these for a few years. Can pause shipping at any time if you have too many blades too.

20 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

How do you fellas go about manicuring your tender bits?  I got a veritable jungle going on down there, and I need to do some man-scaping.  Razor, trimmers, weed wacker?

Razor, massive amounts of soap suds, plenty of hot water, and a steady hand!

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anybody mention shaving in shower?  Been doing it for years before the beard years...

...Got one of those mirror thingys that lets water through and not fog it.

I’ve been shaving in the shower for decades. No mirror.  By feel.  No mustache or sideburns, which would be impossible to maintain without a mirror.  Beard is heavy enough that I make a mess when I do it over a sink.

Shaving in the shower also helps to avoid problems with blood when I cut myself.  By the time I’m done in the shower, the bleeding has usually stopped.

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Anybody mention shaving in shower?  Been doing it for years before the beard years...

...Got one of those mirror thingys that lets water through and not fog it.

I have shaved in the shower for years and couldn't imagine doing it in the sink.

I have a tough beard and shaving is always the last thing I do in the shower, so my beard has lots of time to soften up.

It also helps being a wet shaver, as the process of whipping up your own shaving soap with a brush and then brushing it all over your face can be kind of messy.  In the shower it doesn't matter.  Everything rinses quickly and easily.

I'm a huge advocate of shaving in the shower.

Also, if you haven't don't it yet, "map" your whisker growth all over your face and neck.  It will be different place to place.  I.E., figure out the "grain" of the growth and then always shave with the grain on a first shaving, against the grain on a second shaving, and maybe across the grain on a third for a super close shave.

Yes, a lot of guys shave their face 3 times in a single shaving.  You'd be amazed at the results if you have never done this.

Not necessary every single day, but for a special occasion or time when you want to look your best, it's a great way to go.

• Like (+1) 1

Yep! Shower only way to go especially with thick hair. Like Gray Beard and Fadingpain said above!

Now... With age, why does beard get thicker, multiple hairs from follicles on beard yet thinner on top of head! :angry:

For an answer to that question I will only except:

"Must be all that rubbing on the headboard of the bed."

Yeah, that's what it is... :D 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I have a 9 yr old blade in a sensor 3 blade that I got for free in the mail for some reason.

When I turned 18 I got a twin blade. When you register for the draft you get a Razer

I have a beard but shave my neck beard and shape the cheeks when I need to dress nice. And my blade is just fine for being 9 yrs

24 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

I have a 9 yr old blade in a sensor 3 blade that I got for free in the mail for some reason.

When I turned 18 I got a twin blade. When you register for the draft you get a Razer

I have a beard but shave my neck beard and shape the cheeks when I need to dress nice. And my blade is just fine for being 9 yrs

WTF... You register for the draft in 1942?

I never got a razor for registering for the draft... And I registered in 1986. :lol: 

...And you have me beat on 9 year old blades. Removing the lube strip and storing in mineral oil helps get a few years, but time to break the bank after that.

:D

3 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

WTF... You register for the draft in 1942?

I never got a razor for registering for the draft... And I registered in 1986. :lol: 

...And you have me beat on 9 year old blades. Removing the lube strip and storing in mineral oil helps get a few years, but time to break the bank after that.

:D

You still have to register at 18

On 1/25/2018 at 9:40 AM, Gugny said:

I do the $6 ones and they're just fine for me.   And, if I'm not mistaken, they send 5 cartridges/month.  I only shave every 2-3 days and sometimes sport a goatee.  So, over about a year, I stockpiled quite a few cartridges.

One can opt out with no penalty, then start up again whenever they choose.

Frequency can also be modified to every other month.

DSC is a great deal and a no brainer, IMO.

Same here, however I feel like the cream you use and the aftershave lotion is key and more important than the blade. I use Cremo shave cream and Dove For Men aftershave balm. I am all set now.

53 minutes ago, MILFHUNTER#518 said:

Same here, however I feel like the cream you use and the aftershave lotion is key and more important than the blade. I use Cremo shave cream and Dove For Men aftershave balm. I am all set now.

I used to use edge gel, then I even bought the DSC Dr. whatever clear cream.  Was nice.  But for the last couple years, I've just been going old school and using barbasol.  Love it.