Apology to Jack Eichel

9 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Not his fault his teammates are a bunch of slacking turdburglars.

Yep, I don't understand how this is still happening? I thought we had some talent on this team?

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

The root cause is gone but rebuilding will take time.  Honestly if Murray was sabotaging the team the only thing else he could have done would be passing on Eichel.  He even whined after getting him.  Maybe he wanted to help uncle Bwyan.

He did give up too many assets, especially a first for Lehner.

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

He did give up too many assets, especially a first for Lehner.

A million terrible moves and a douche about every one.  It is hard to say what the right pride for Lehner would have been.  Maybe if Ott gave us a first to take him off their hands.  Still probably not worth it.

• Like (+1) 1

Hang in there Sabres fans and don't give up on your superstar.

I'm an Islander fan still waiting for Tavares to lead us to the promised land.

Tavares may walk after this year and I am terrified of starting over when we've barely reached competency with him. 

Great hockey teams need great players. The Sabres need Eichel to lift them and be the centerpiece for years to come.

27 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Not his fault his teammates are a bunch of slacking turdburglars.

Eichel's own performance has been up and down; he likes to disappear for periods of time.  He's also shown a fragile psyche who gets easily frustrated.

He's not above the **** show.  He's a part of it.

8 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Hang in there Sabres fans and don't give up on your superstar.

I'm an Islander fan still waiting for Tavares to lead us to the promised land.

Tavares may walk after this year and I am terrified of starting over when we've barely reached competency with him. 

Great hockey teams need great players. The Sabres need Eichel to lift them and be the centerpiece for years to come.

We need more than Eichel, obviously the players around him are not good enough.

7 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Eichel's own performance has been up and down; he likes to disappear for periods of time.  He's also shown a fragile psyche who gets easily frustrated.

He's not above the **** show.  He's a part of it.

We need some stars here to show him the way. He's still a diamond in the rough who still needs polishing.

14 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

A million terrible moves and a douche about every one.  It is hard to say what the right pride for Lehner would have been.  Maybe if Ott gave us a first to take him off their hands.  Still probably not worth it.

Lehner is terrible, and have never liked him, I never seen a guy so bad at one on one situations.

Just now, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We need more than Eichel, obviously the players around him are not good enough.

That's a big part of my point. One player doesn't make a team, but is a huge staritng point.

I think every team needs a super star. Small market teams can't let their drafted super stars walk. 

47 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

That's a big part of my point. One player doesn't make a team, but is a huge staritng point.

I think every team needs a super star. Small market teams can't let their drafted super stars walk. 

I'm not worried about our market size, we have Terry for that. The GM better get some dudes in here or this never turning around.

I think it's coaching.  I hate legacy coaches.  How do they dump him?

They are losing a lot of 1 goal games. If they flip 10 games, they are in the hunt.

Then there is: Why isn't Jack leading?  He's the center of the core.  Make him Captain.  There is a reason the team is floundering.  There's no Captain...

This falls on Terry Pegula.

The organization was stale and in need of change when they bought the team in 2011.  He decided to stick with the status quo, and threw money at problems that only magnified and compounded them.

Then, they decided to embark on a 4 year master plan.  Liquidate the team, tear it down to the studs, maximize assets, build through the draft and prospect pool, and manage the salary cap.

Then we had a series of half-measure management changes.  Lindy Ruff was fired 2 months into a season after an extended lockout offseason.  Then, the following year, Regier and Rolston were fired, again less than 2 months into the season (see: mid-stream), in favor of Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine (and Craig Patrick).  Not long after that, LaFontaine hires Tim Murray.  There seems to be some degree of misunderstanding in delegation of responsibility and influence because LaFontaine resigned in the midst of the trade deadline.  That left Tim Murray who was clearly in over his head to run the entire operation.  (IMO, LaFontaine intended on Murray being a 'head scout' type of GM, while he had final say in a lot of matters such as trades).  Murray later fired Nolan (who had his AHL-level team over-performing).  They failed to get Babcock to come here.  "settled" on Bylsma (while spending a 3rd round draft pick on him).   

You also have had various comings and goings of upper management there in Black, Brandon, Patrick, etc... 

So you have this 4 year plan, and compulsively change various levels of management at numerous times... then wonder why things didn't work out.  

Im also nervous about going with rookies in the GM and HC roles.  They really could have used some experience there.

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

This falls on Terry Pegula.

The organization was stale and in need of change when they bought the team in 2011.  He decided to stick with the status quo, and threw money at problems that only magnified and compounded them.

Then, they decided to embark on a 4 year master plan.  Liquidate the team, tear it down to the studs, maximize assets, build through the draft and prospect pool, and manage the salary cap.

Then we had a series of half-measure management changes.  Lindy Ruff was fired 2 months into a season after an extended lockout offseason.  Then, the following year, Regier and Rolston were fired, again less than 2 months into the season (see: mid-stream), in favor of Ted Nolan and Pat LaFontaine (and Craig Patrick).  Not long after that, LaFontaine hires Tim Murray.  There seems to be some degree of misunderstanding in delegation of responsibility and influence because LaFontaine resigned in the midst of the trade deadline.  That left Tim Murray who was clearly in over his head to run the entire operation.  (IMO, LaFontaine intended on Murray being a 'head scout' type of GM, while he had final say in a lot of matters such as trades).  Murray later fired Nolan (who had his AHL-level team over-performing).  They failed to get Babcock to come here.  "settled" on Bylsma (while spending a 3rd round draft pick on him).   

You also have had various comings and goings of upper management there in Black, Brandon, Patrick, etc... 

So you have this 4 year plan, and compulsively change various levels of management at numerous times... then wonder why things didn't work out.  

Im also nervous about going with rookies in the GM and HC roles.  They really could have used some experience there.

And yet the Bills made the playoffs in just his 3rd full season of ownership.  In a sport he knows almost nothing about, compared to hockey. 

I really think the 'huge fan of the Sabres' thing was kind of overstated.  He really has never seemed knowledgeable at all, other than being able to identify who the French Connection is.  

He also bungled the Bills'.  A fairly similar situation... however, he did have 2 factions here vying for 'continuity', and he selected the wrong side.  You had Marrone who was going to bring in Polian as a consultant who would have likely re-organized the FO and found a GM.... vs team Whaley and Brandon.  Pegula chose Whaley/Brandon and went on to hire Rex which history shows was a series of incorrect moves.  The events of the last quarter of 2016 and early offseason were humiliating.

Maybe they hit it with McDermott.  I like McDermott's attitude and attention to detail.  I also like what Beane has to say and his professionalism... but they still have a lot to prove.  The playoff berth this season was great, but it wasnt 'resounding'.  As was mentioned, it could have happened in various other seasons in the drought if the atmospheric conditions of the AFC were this optimal...  but they were in a 'transition' year, built up assets and got more out of the team anyone expected.  

Considering all the talent they let-go and the "ho hums" elicited with many of the players they brought in, I think that ending the playoff drought as they did was resounding, even if it took the embarrassment of the Rex era to get there.  In what was supposed to be a rebuilding year, they made the playoffs, cleared cap room, added draft picks, and got rid of locker room cancers. 

As for the Sabres, I meant he was a fan of hockey and followed it for decades, unlike football.  And the team was very successful under Golisano, who ran a shoestring budget, had almost no scouts, and kept the same regime from before.  I don't know, maybe a culture change is in order there as well.

I don't trust him... IS he a Mass Hole @ heart.  He is from Chelmsford.  I pray that's not the case.

Why isn't he Captain?  What is the deal with the Captain thing? #1 part of the core and he comes off as a follower.

Time to step up and lead... It's his team to lead.

Sorry... Maybe I am too harsh on the fella.