Daniel Jeremiah Mock Draft 1.0

PIZ

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

I think the world of Jeremiah; he has the experience of a scout and has been offered GM jobs

I'm not huge on Payne, but Jackson at 22 would be a HUGE get. If Gaines isn't re-signed that would make a ton of sense.

I'm aware that Jeremiah didn't include trades in this mock but if he did it appears that Denver is in the linchpin spot to make a deal and get additional picks. If Denver was interested in an offensive lineman then this would be a good opportunity for Buffalo and Denver to make a deal. 

I agree with you that Jeremiah is a sound football man. When he discusses the draft he doesn't simply do it from an individual player standpoint. But rather he usually provides a wider context and analysis and offers a reasonable explanation why the pick makes sense.  He is a substance over a style type person. 

Edited by JohnC

1 hour ago, Kmart128 said:

Don't understand these CBs. EJ Gaines is almost a lock to resign. I don't see any reason we let him walk

It's pretty simple. Buffalo has one corner on its roster in a league that plays with 3 corners a ton of the time and Gaines has missed nearly 30 games in 4 years. Even if Gaines is re-signed, Buffalo needs a corner and the way the talent plays out in this draft, there's a lot of good ones to pick towards the end of the 1st round.

With the strength of this year's cornerback class, it would be great if a good pass rusher or linebacker (or obviously QB) falls to 21 instead, but a corner makes a lot of sense too.

27 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's pretty simple. Buffalo has one corner on its roster in a league that plays with 3 corners a ton of the time and Gaines has missed nearly 30 games in 4 years. Even if Gaines is re-signed, Buffalo needs a corner and the way the talent plays out in this draft, there's a lot of good ones to pick towards the end of the 1st round.

With the strength of this year's cornerback class, it would be great if a good pass rusher or linebacker (or obviously QB) falls to 21 instead, but a corner makes a lot of sense too.

WR, QB, SLB, DE, and RG are all more pressing needs than CB when we resign Gaines. Secondary was probably the strength of our team. We we're weaker at every other area. I could see us adding a CB but it won't be that early when we had one of the worst pass rushes and worst passing offense. Drafting a CB is a very minimal upgrade.

Ridley and Key would be both my selections with those two picks in that situation

Edited by Kmart128

21 minutes ago, chris heff said:

Aside from QB the focus should be pass rush, success in the AFC goes through New England and to beat them you need four guys to go after Brady.

I think pass rusher is easily the right path in round 1 (aside from QB obviously).

The secondary is already solid (assuming Gaines/Johnson are retained or replaced in FA), so a makeover of the front 4 would put the D on the precipice of being special IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

The more I think about it, the more I want to spend the majority of the slew of draft picks this year on defense. I want to see a monstrous front 7. The secondary was pretty decent this year and that was with virtually no pass rush. I'd be pumped if the first 4 picks went like DT, LB, DE, CB. I think this defense is a few pieces from being top 5 again. Strengthen OL through FA and draft  RB Rashaan Penny. 

20 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

A pass rusher would be great, but unfortunately, there likely won't be one worth taking at 21/22. At least not an edge rusher; there's a decent chance that there will be a DT worthy of being a 1st round pick.

Beating the Patriots starts with pushing the pocket from the middle. I’m good with a DT in first round, but who?

3 hours ago, chris heff said:

Beating the Patriots starts with pushing the pocket from the middle. I’m good with a DT in first round, but who?

I’d personally love Vita Vea. I think that guy is gonna be a monster but I’m not sure he falls to 21 either.

one edge rusher that interests me is Hercules Mata’afa (I think I got the spelling right). Played DT at Wazzu but he might be a linebacker in the NFL that can move to DE on 3rd down. He’s super athletic and is one of those guys like Gerald McCoy that just gets off the snap before everyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DCOrange said:

A pass rusher would be great, but unfortunately, there likely won't be one worth taking at 21/22. At least not an edge rusher; there's a decent chance that there will be a DT worthy of being a 1st round pick.

The good thing is that there will be fast LBs that can add to the pass rush...I think that would be the route to go besides QB

I just can't see Buffalo drafting another CB when they have Tre who will be serious dollars in a few years and Gaines who they can keep for higher dollars now for a few years until they need to pay Tre.

Otherwise though great draft board by him.

23 hours ago, chris heff said:

Aside from QB the focus should be pass rush, success in the AFC goes through New England and to beat them you need four guys to go after Brady.

Didn't they teach us that lesson a few times already all they did was call quick passes. Make the rush irrelevant. 

I would rather stack up the middle of the D especially the bk 7 with great Safeties and LBs that can flat out cover.  Brady kiils people between the hashes.

Edited by NastyNateSoldiers

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

Didn't they teach us that lesson a few times already all they did was call quick passes. Make the rush irrelevant. 

I would rather stack up the middle of the D especially the bk 7 with great Safeties and LBs that can flat out cover.  Brady kiils people between the hashes.

See the Giants two Super Bowl wins over Patriots. Rush four and cover, rise and repeat.

2 hours ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

They didn't execute that game plan against the 2013-2014 team that had over 50 sacks, but rather against Rex's neutered pass rush.

The issue is that you need to be good at all layers of the defense to beat Brady.  Pass rush has to be able to get home reliably without blitzing (because only then can you blitz him effectively), and the back-7 needs to play disciplined in coverage.

Jacksonville had the right game plan for him yesterday...until the 4th quarter.  I said all week that the best defensive approach was to plan man coverage with Telvin Smith spying Brady, and that's what they did more often than not...until the 4th quarter, when they decided to go to a Cover-2 shell and back their corners off.  Brutal.

• Like (+1) 1